Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - What happened to Segaretro.org?

Reply to topic
What happened to Segaretro.org?
Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 pm
I have noticed that this very useful site Segaretro.org has been acting weird recently. Anyone know what's up with it? Thanks
Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:52 pm
They are updating the site. The message that appears when you try to access the site is an obvious indication of it.

"Insert your favorite construction GIF here."
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:34 am
Praying that the update doesn't turn into a regression, Sega Retro seemed perfect as is!
Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 am
It is briefly mentioned in a topic on their forums, though that topic isn't in a public section so it's easy to miss, they're apparently upgrading to PHP7 or something like that.

Also, quoting Bock. The good old "if it's not broken then don't fix it" is one of my favourite sentences of all times, I'm not going on a tangent to rant about how much I hate websites which keep on redesigning themselves for no reason at all (e.g. Facebook and Youtube), let me just say how much I love smspower for having been its true self for more than a decade, please never change.

Back to Retro, it's not unlikely that there are going to be some broken things here and there considering how many custom extensions those wikis were using, but it looks like they're taking things to heart this time so everything should get ironed out eventually. There are reasons to be optimistic because they recently changed their forum software as well, and while I do still miss the old one and its custom features, they've been doing their best to make the new one as good as reasonably possible. That is, if you don't mind the enforced https nonsense and you can browse that website at all.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:50 am
At some point we will have to move to a version of PHP that is incompatible with some of the software we are using. I'm still looking for a decent PHPBB2 replacement that isn't a horror... PmWiki is OK.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:22 am
Why not doing it the other way around? If the phpbb2 forum (which is one of the things I like the most in general) does really use some deprecated functions or instructions, wouldn't it be possible to narrow them down and replace them (and only them) by hand? I have no idea of what changed between PHP versions, but code is code, if an instruction disappears, some other one(s) can probably take its place.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:24 am
Funny fact is that I tried to access it yesterday. Saw that message about inserting gif. But I quickly went to another site.
Now while reading this thread I learned that I had the same issue and now can laugh at that insert gif message. Good to hear the sie is not lost.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:48 am
If it wasn't expensive to host and a pain to install I would have said Discourse. Forums are a rare breed these days with the like of Reddit and social media.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:03 pm
But Discourse is a real horror of JavaScript and messing with your history and super slow too render due to the bizarre client side rendering that has overtaken the web... I wrote code to generate HTML from JS on the client in 2001 or so (which was pretty dumb) and somehow it's still slower now...

Anyway, enough with the thread hijacking. If there's a modern PHP forum which just sends semantic HTML to the browser based on a MySQL DB, let me know...
Post Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:53 pm
Wesker wrote
They are updating the site. The message that appears when you try to access the site is an obvious indication of it.

"Insert your favorite construction GIF here."

Yes I saw that line eventually, initially it did not show that, just some unhelpful HTML code (and now it just says 'Forbidden' or is just a blank page), but the reason I was worried was that my browser said the site was 'unsecure' and I was redirected to some spam pop-ups for some reason. I was worried it was hacked or something. Thanks everyone for enlightening me. I hope it comes back. That site is excellent
Post Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:55 pm
D wrote
Good to hear the site is not lost.

Phew. So happy to read this.

They have a ton of cover and manual scans for 8-bit Sega. They're my go-to resource when I want to quickly check a game or the review scores it had in the 80s or 90s.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:06 pm
:( we have all that stuff... Just need more contributors.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:53 pm
I would swear I've seen scans credited to SMSpower there... and maybe the other way around? On the whole SMSpower has an incredible amount of resources (as in: more), but I don't see it as a competition. I'm happy another Sega database didn't just vanish.

I agree with another poster above: it's nice SMSpower keeps being SMSpower. :)
Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:14 pm
Just checked and it's back!

Not sure what Tom was trying to say as there's a big difference between a redesign and an upgrade to phpv7. The php 7 version contains a number of deprecated commands and a rewrite of some code is unavoidable in some cases
Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:59 am
Well, it's been years since the last time I did something with php, so I had no idea that 7 is so much different, don't mind what I say, I just hate updates in general.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!