Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Game Maker - Make games without code

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:16 am
As another option, instead of building a new engine from scratch, how about using the Mojon Twins' SG-1000 engine as a starting point?
https://github.com/mojontwins/loves_the_sg1000
- It is based on SDCC + aPLib + PSGlib + DevKitSMS;
- Its image conversion tools would have to be adapted to generate SMS-compatible graphics;
- It does not support bankswitching, so that would have to be added;
- It does not support scrolling, and that would be trickier to add...
Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:27 am
kusfo wrote
Are you still in contact with the original Autor? We may be able to help him if he wants to continue the project

even better, maybe he could put all the project files in public domain (since the project has been abandoned) and someone interested into it might fork and continue...
Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:48 pm
haroldoop wrote
As another option, instead of building a new engine from scratch, how about using the Mojon Twins' SG-1000 engine as a starting point?
- Its image conversion tools would have to be adapted to generate SMS-compatible graphics;

Hi, @haroldoop. Even for a SG-1000 i like of graphics. Too bad that they dont did more SMS/SG-1000 games. Eu gostei dos jogos feitos por Mojon Twins. Os gráficos são belos mesmo para um SG-1000. Uma pena que eles não fizeram mais jogos para 8bits da SEGA, recentemente.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:02 pm
segarule wrote
haroldoop wrote

Hi, @haroldoop. Even for a SG-1000 i like of graphics. Too bad that they dont did more SMS/SG-1000 games. Eu gostei dos jogos feitos por Mojon Twins. Os gráficos são belos mesmo para um SG-1000. Uma pena que eles não fizeram mais jogos para 8bits da SEGA, recentemente.

As it is, their engine is pretty easy to use, as long as you stay within what it was designed to do.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:35 am
sverx wrote
kusfo wrote
Are you still in contact with the original Autor? We may be able to help him if he wants to continue the project

even better, maybe he could put all the project files in public domain (since the project has been abandoned) and someone interested into it might fork and continue...

That would be the best option, but I don't know if the author is up to it.

About the Mojon Twins engine, I think Nathan is gonna try to do something again with the SMS :-)
Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:19 pm
kusfo wrote
sverx wrote
kusfo wrote

That would be the best option, but I don't know if the author is up to it.

About the Mojon Twins engine, I think Nathan is gonna try to do something again with the SMS :-)

I have their email somewhere. I can ask if they need help or are willing to pull the project into the open source domain. Its obvious no one wants this to become abandonware.

I did poke at the engine, it uses a few of your libraries as support within the C language. (your* meaning libraries many users here have worked on/made). I get the impression that OPs work was implementing another abstraction layer on top of devkitSMS. The goal seems to be an attempt to make an SMS engine similar to something like GBStudio. I think that is enough to cover all I can mention at the moment.

I'll let you know if I get a response email.
EDIT: Email Sent.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:45 am
Now let's cross our fingers and see if this project can be resurrected.
I don't understand anything about programming, but I can give financial support and talk about the project to other Italian communities so that they do the same.
(Maybe I dream a little too much, but a multilingual version could be created) :-P
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:04 am
OP got back to me. I'm going to put everything as straight forward as I can.

OP mentioned that they hit a point with it where it became a bit of a mess to keep up with. They said they're not against having it be open source, but there is a heavy lack of documentation.

The program is "coded in AS3" and needs to be refactored from the ground up. (I don't know what AS3 is but I'm sure someone here would perhaps be able to make heads or tails of it).
They said that at some point the C portion of the project wont compile anymore and they're given an error "ASlink-Warning-Couldn't find library 'z80'". This to me sounds like a linking issue if not a compilation order issue.

My thoughts are that this is just a common thing all devs go through. You get a cool idea, you execute or try to in your best ability, and all of a sudden it gets too big or complex to work on. We've all been there.

Here is everything, I have provided the C source, the project file, and the build I have. You can assume that the BUILD version is much older than the source files. I plan on removing this from my drive after a few months so grab it while you can.

Good luck to anyone who wants to touch this and organize a GIT for it. I hope this finally brings you guys some closure and maybe inspires something to to derive from it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R3iuBTGjxccVeXiDi35cqSHW9rAn_jVI/view?usp=sharing
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:40 am
It would help if the OP would choose an open source licence as it would clarify their position on others taking it and publishing their own versions.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:49 am
IllusionOfMana wrote
My thoughts are that this is just a common thing all devs go through. You get a cool idea, you execute or try to in your best ability, and all of a sudden it gets too big or complex to work on. We've all been there.

We've all been there. :/
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:23 pm
I suppose AS3 is Action Script 3 so basically the programming language of Flash. That would also match the look of something I've seen in one of the demo videos I've seen.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:50 pm
Calindro wrote
I suppose AS3 is Action Script 3 so basically the programming language of Flash. That would also match the look of something I've seen in one of the demo videos I've seen.

There are a few AS3 to JS transpilers out there; not sure how good the end result would be, though.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:43 pm
Maxim wrote
It would help if the OP would choose an open source licence as it would clarify their position on others taking it and publishing their own versions.

I agree... But, they seemed pretty distressed about the project or failure of, in their response email. I think I have done as much as I can, I don't want to bug someone further that already isn't in a good mood about it all.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:45 am
They said that at some point the C portion of the project wont compile anymore and they're given an error "ASlink-Warning-Couldn't find library 'z80'". This to me sounds like a linking issue if not a compilation order issue.

If this was the reason why the project has been abandoned, he should just have asked for help here... :|
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!