SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Dangerous Dave 2 for Sega Genesis

Reply to topic
Dangerous Dave 2 for Sega Genesis
Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:47 pm
Hey all!

I recently started working on a Dangerous Dave 2 port for the Sega Genesis. I'm working on this during weekends and flights.

I thought it'd be cool to show updates on the game. I will soon clean up the makefiles and make the git repo public.

The end goal is to make a Dangerous Dave 2 port, with more blood, more gore, more visual effects, improved graphics, smoother scrolling, and ... sound.

I am developing this in C (using gcc), and on OSX with Gens running through Wine (you should hear my Mac's fan flying through the roof!)

You can see from the attached video what's the current state of affairs.
dangerous_dave_4.mp4 (6.98 MB)
2019-05-18

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:30 am
This is really cool.

I was thinking of doing something similar with my reverse engineered version of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. https://github.com/yuv422/cosmo-engine

Just wondering why you went with Gens in wine? Are there not any good MD emulators with debug support for OS X?

Looking forward to seeing the code when you put it online.
Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:32 am
Slightly off topic, how well does does gcc work for genesis programming? I'm all about just diving into ASM but my knowledge is C and C++ is far greater and i'm wondering if the optimization is good enough to compile complex projects for the Genesis without really having to touch too much of the ASM side of the m68k or z80 but also not feel constrained for resources mainly work ram.
Dangerous Dave 2 for Sega Genesis
Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 pm
Wow! This is amazing! I wasn't aware of your project. I want to take a look to see how you solved some collision problems. You've made great progress.

I couldn't find an emulator that has debug features, and I was having problems setting up the video registers.

Now that it's stable, I can kick back to OSX-native emulators, so not to burn my laptop up. ^_^

efry wrote
This is really cool.

I was thinking of doing something similar with my reverse engineered version of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

Just wondering why you went with Gens in wine? Are there not any good MD emulators with debug support for OS X?

Looking forward to seeing the code when you put it online.
Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm
That's a good question. When I started working on it, it was obvious to me that I'll be doing this in 68k assembly. But then I realized that it would not benefit others much. As GNU's optimizations are not really that bad (I haven't checked the output assembly yet, but the game seems to run at 60fps without optimizations on my end.)

I hope that having this game, in clean, human-readable code, will allow others to create new platformers for Genesis by change the art and some boss code.

IllusionOfMana wrote
Slightly off topic, how well does does gcc work for genesis programming? I'm all about just diving into ASM but my knowledge is C and C++ is far greater and i'm wondering if the optimization is good enough to compile complex projects for the Genesis without really having to touch too much of the ASM side of the m68k or z80 but also not feel constrained for resources mainly work ram.
Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:49 am
gawd0r wrote
That's a good question. When I started working on it, it was obvious to me that I'll be doing this in 68k assembly. But then I realized that it would not benefit others much. As GNU's optimizations are not really that bad (I haven't checked the output assembly yet, but the game seems to run at 60fps without optimizations on my end.)

Thanks for the info. I'm actually working on a beat em up style game for the Sega Genesis and am currently doing it all in ASM. Its going well but personally I find it easier to compose some parts especially enemy AI/Behavior scripting in C/C++ so im hoping to find a solution before I get too far into the ASM to where switching over will be tedious/pointless.
Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am
Oh wow.. this is very very cool!! Keep us updated on your progress. :)

Considering the lack of colours & speed in the original PC game I'm surprised you didn't try for a master system conversion as the old girl could probably pull it off! Genesis almost seems like overkill haha unless you're planning on improving the graphics down the track?
Dangerous Dave 2
Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:08 am
Hey!

I've been looking through this project and yes I know possibly 5 years too late, but wondering if I could possibly discuss the port and decomp of Dangerous Dave 2?

I've tried to reach out via various means, but not sure if Gil is still around?

alex - gamesreup
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!