Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Music competition 2019] Town - Wonder Boy in Monster Land by gregglesaurus

Reply to topic

Rate this entry!

1 - Terrible 0% 0%
2 0% 0%
3 0% 0%
4 0% 0%
5 0% 0%
6 8% 8%
7 16% 16%
8 50% 50%
9 - Excellent 25% 25%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Music competition 2019] Town - Wonder Boy in Monster Land by gregglesaurus
Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:47 am
Last edited by Maxim on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
A nice, chilled arrangement of Town from Wonder Boy In Monsterland - you can almost feel the cool breezes of the Coastal Town of Baraboro, or the peace of the Valley of ...um, Peace.

http://www.smspower.org/Music/WonderBoyInMonsterLand-Town-Homebrew

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:06 am
This is really nice. It's interesting to hear someone else's take on the same theme I did.

I really like the deep, full sound.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:31 pm
What a nice sound for my ears. This version of the City of Baraboro's stage never sounds soo good... Excellent work!!

A nice, chilled arrangement of Town from Wonder Boy In Monsterland - you can almost feel the cool breezes of the Coastal Town of Baraboro, or the peace of the Valley of ...um, Peace.

It's sad the SMS version cut many of the musics from the Arcade version due storage limitation.

This music in the Arcade version just appears in City of Baraboro (stage 4), while in the SMS version, this music appears right in the Valley of Peace (stage 2).
Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:43 pm
This is really nice, i love how the piano sounds.
My only complaint is that i think it lacks a bit of variation, especially with the bass (is that a bowed bass, or i am hearing it wrong?), the powering sound of the bass gets in the way, sometimes.

The arrangement is nice and i really enjoyed it.
Great job.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:21 am
rouken wrote
It's sad the SMS version cut many of the musics from the Arcade version due storage limitation.

This music in the Arcade version just appears in City of Baraboro (stage 4), while in the SMS version, this music appears right in the Valley of Peace (stage 2).

I agree. So much more to experience in the arcade version. I wish I could find midi's of the arcade hospital, underwater and cave music. I know that cave music is used in WB3 when falling in the jungle temple, but the WB2 arcade version was much longer.
On the plus side, because the SMS version stripped some the music, we ended up with that memorial WB2 theme played in round 1, which I believe isn't used until the Mam Desert in the arcade version.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:15 pm
Cool version, great atmosphere!
Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:43 am
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

My only complaint is that i think it lacks a bit of variation, especially with the bass (is that a bowed bass, or i am hearing it wrong?), the powering sound of the bass gets in the way, sometimes.

Yeah, it's a pizzicato bass. You're right, it is a little overpowering. Still learning how to EQ stuff properly.

I did want to flesh this out and add a section where it builds more, with a more solid beat, but time constraints led me to just make it looping and leave it at that. I'm still pretty happy with this. :)

This is really nice. It's interesting to hear someone else's take on the same theme I did.

Haha, crazy that we both did the same thing - and it looks like we both live in Sydney, as well! It was a little bit like someone rocking up to a party wearing the same outfit, lol.

I know that cave music is used in WB3 when falling in the jungle temple, but the WB2 arcade version was much longer.

I always thought it was kind of weird how WB3 does that! I do like when they put little nods into earlier games in the series tho -- there's a little bit of that in Monster World VI.

I wish I could find midi's of the arcade hospital, underwater and cave music.

Yeah, I tried converting them to midi using VGM2MIDI, but the results came out sounding all weird. :(
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!