Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Debugger

Reply to topic
Jagged
Debugger
Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:08 am
High all!

I'm new to this forum, and actually i don't belong to this, cos i don't have anything to do with Sega (okay, i own a Dreamcast :-) ).

Anyway, i'm developing software for a Z80 based organizer (Siemens IC35) and am in heavy search for a reasonably good debugger.

I found the MesaDX Homepage, gave that software a try, and i think it's okay for what i need. The only point ist that it always shows the breakpoint menu items greyed out. Will there be an update sooner with which i can set breakpoints from within the editor?

I know i could have asked this question by direkt mail to Eric, but here's another one:

I'd also like to try Zebug... Is there still one version roaming round the web? Anyone having a suggestion for a download site?

I'd be appreciated if i'm not flamed, or ignored otherwise, but if someone could give me the one or other hint.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Jagged

PS: if you have another debugger recommendation: the debugger i want has support for breakpoints and single step, view of registers (also alternative) and stack, load of binary to $4000 or customizable address. Well, Stack view and register manipulation is not so important... Thanks again...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:52 am
> Anyway, i'm developing software for a Z80 based organizer (Siemens IC35) and am in heavy search for a
> reasonably good debugger.

> I found the MesaDX Homepage, gave that software a try, and i think it's okay for what i need. The only point
> ist that it always shows the breakpoint menu items greyed out. Will there be an update sooner with which i
> can set breakpoints from within the editor?

Having a breakpoints window is definitely something I want to get working soon. Since you've specifically asked for that feature I'll put it in the next release, but it may take a few months. Unfortunately, MesaDX is something I can only work on in my spare time, which I seem to have less of these days.

Also, I should warn you that the next version of MesaDX will be tied very tightly to SMS/GG hardware. You will definitely need to understand a bit about the SMS/GG (and AGAMA) architectures (specifically the memory system) if you want to use it. It might be impossible to map the SMS/GG hardware to the Siemens IC35 hardware that you're developing for.

> I know i could have asked this question by direkt mail to Eric, but here's another one:

> I'd also like to try Zebug... Is there still one version roaming round the web? Anyone having a suggestion for a download site?

Well, Zebug was never released. Its much worse than MesaDX. I'm not sure it supported breakpoints at all. You'd definitely be better of with another (any other) debugger.

Good luck.

--
Eric Quinn
Jagged
Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:31 am
> Having a breakpoints window is definitely something I want to get working soon. Since you've specifically asked for that feature I'll put it in the next release, but it may take a few months. Unfortunately, MesaDX is something I can only work on in my spare time, which I seem to have less of these days.

That's a pity but i really understand you (my work on the IC35 is also a hobby project)...

> Also, I should warn you that the next version of MesaDX will be tied very tightly to SMS/GG hardware. You will definitely need to understand a bit about the SMS/GG (and AGAMA) architectures (specifically the memory system) if you want to use it. It might be impossible to map the SMS/GG hardware to the Siemens IC35 hardware that you're developing for.

That's for sure. Also with MesaDX 0.02 i'm not able to debug complete programs, but that's not what i intended... just from time to time i need something with which i can debug medium complex routines. No hardware emulation needed.

> > I know i could have asked this question by direkt mail to Eric, but here's another one:

> > I'd also like to try Zebug... Is there still one version roaming round the web? Anyone having a suggestion for a download site?

> Well, Zebug was never released. Its much worse than MesaDX. I'm not sure it supported breakpoints at all. You'd definitely be better of with another (any other) debugger.

oh, okay... well... the screenshots on MesaDX' history page look nice :-)

> Good luck.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Jagged

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!