Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Competitions 2018 Discussion Thread

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2  Next
Coding competition 2018?
Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:47 am
So Whats happens with this year compo?
Will be one? When is the limit? Someone is going to do something?

I am working on a little 1mb ROM for the compo but i am not sure about the time i have.

Cheers
Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:34 am
eruiz00 wrote
So Whats happens with this year compo?
Will be one? When is the limit? Someone is going to do something?

I am working on a little 1mb ROM for the compo but i am not sure about the time i have.

Cheers

AFAIK, the competition happens March, 27; I have some ideas in my head, but haven't started coding, yet. :P
Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 am
There wasn't an official announcement yet, was it?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:08 pm
Not yet, but there will be a competition as usual.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:39 pm
There will be the annual competition and the submission limit is generally the end of March 27 - which ever time zone you like. People often post patches in the next few days anyway :)
Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:48 pm
will there be a hacking/music compo as well?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:03 pm
Yes, if you want to enter.
  • Site Admin
Competitions 2018 Discussion Thread
Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am
Last edited by Bock on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:17 pm; edited 7 times in total
Ultra-short rules:

The same as every year.

Slightly longer rules:

Deadline is 27th March 2018. You may choose to interpret that in any reasonable way. We expect people to submit patches/fixes in the following days, but try to get your entry submitted by March 27.

There are three main competitions: coding, hacks and music.

Coding competition

Write something that runs on a Sega 8-bit home system which isn't a hack. A game, a demo, a tool!
(See our Homebrew section for an idea of past work done by the community.)

Hacks competition

Make a hack of a game for a Sega 8-bit home system.
(See our Hacks section for an idea of past work done by the community.). GG2SMS hacks are not valid for the competition, there are too many of them. Please post them through regular non-competition means.

Music competition

Make some music that either uses the sound chip(s) from an Sega 8-bit home system, or is an arrangement of music from commercial software for that system.
(See our Music section for an idea of past work done by the community.)

The small print

* If you have a project that don't clearly fit in the Coding/Hacks/Music criteria and you think would be a good fit in the competition, please message us and we may work something out together (e.g. enter the project in Coding competition if that seems reasonable).
* Super-offensive or overly illegal content will get your entry rejected. Be nice.
* Entries should be either made for this competition, or substantially different to any earlier release.
* Coding entries must be in a format that works with a wide variety of emulators, i.e. raw ROM image or disk images. Tape images and wacky custom formats are no good unless you are genuinely making something related to those formats.
* Hack entries must be either in a format like for coding entries, or in the form of an IPS patch. You must give details of the original file(s) your hack is based on.
* Music entries can be in any format you like, provided it's VGM or MP3. You are welcome to also provide the same music in some other format alongside it.

How to enter

E-mail: competition AT smspower.org

Please do make sure to:
* Attach the file(s) preferably, however our gmail account will filter .ZIP files (even renamed) if they contains executables or batch files. If you have them, upload your file to Google Drive / Drop Box / etc. and send us a link.
* Mention the word "competition" in your subject line
* Mention your forum user name.
* Provide us with a clear, official title for your entry (as opposed to "here's my entry: rom.sms").
* Provide us with a description of the entry if you would like one to be included. We will copy whatever in your e-mail looks like a description to the corresponding Homebrew page.
* If it's a hack, specify which game/version/CRC.
* If it's a music, specify if it's an original track or a cover (specify which game, which track).
* Including cover art makes you 20% more awesome :)
* Including sources (for both music and code) makes you 256% more awesome. :)

You should receive an automatic response when it is received.

Cover art competition
During the voting period, we'll also run a "fun" competition to produce some Master System cover art. This should be in the style of normal Master System export games - whether the classic "grid plus clipart" style or something a bit more '90s. It can be for any game - so it could be for a Master System game you wish had better cover art, or for a homebrew Master System game you like, or just something funny where you make Master System art for a modern game. We'll have a little extra vote after the main voting ends to pick a favourite.
Yes!
Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:29 pm
SMS-Power compo time is my favorite time of the year! ... I plan to enter the coding compo with something I have been working on on/off for quite some time now, and I look forward to show it to you all :)

Let the countdown begin...
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:00 am
I‘m looking forward to the new competition very much. I‘m really curious to see what everyone is going to come up with.

Unfortunately, it looks like it‘s going to be another no-show for me. Still working on the same project as last year, and it‘s still nowhere near completion. Hopefully, I‘ll be able to release it some time later this year. I‘m not planning on changing the year on the title screen again.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 am
I count with you for the testing&feeding Kagesan!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:50 pm
Rarr! :3

I'm pretty new here, but I'm hoping having an entry ready in time for the coding competition.
Problems submitting my entry...
Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:21 pm
Hi,

I want to submit my entry, and I think it follows the guidelines in this thread. I have everything in a .zi file, and I have already trimmed out the executables (some .bat files remain, but they are an important part of the source code). But the mailer daemon rejects me: "This message was blocked because its content presents a potential 552-5.7.0 security issue"?
Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:52 pm
hang-on wrote
Hi,

I want to submit my entry, and I think it follows the guidelines in this thread. I have everything in a .zi file, and I have already trimmed out the executables (some .bat files remain, but they are an important part of the source code). But the mailer daemon rejects me: "This message was blocked because its content presents a potential 552-5.7.0 security issue"?

I had a similar problem with GMail, so I had to attach the ROM directly to the email, and sent the source as a Google Drive link. There seems to be no escaping from it; they're getting 'too good' at scanning for executables.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 am
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590

It sounds like they figured out how to detect zip files that have been renamed...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:38 am
Hmm, For now upload to drive/dropbox/own web server/other storage services and send us a link. I have updated the description accordingly.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:38 pm
Hi

I hope to take part in this competition with a Columns game. Currently it has no sound and nor I can create music. Would it be any problem if I use Master System original Columns music?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:19 pm
Hi all - how long [typically] do the "following days" allow for patches/fixes after March 27...??
Thanks!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm
SteveProXNA wrote
Hi all - how long [typically] do the "following days" allow for patches/fixes after March 27...??
Thanks!

There's no set rule, however consider that most people will play your March 27 entry and not everybody will update afterward.

We aren't going to stop anyone from improving their game/demo if they want to..
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:56 pm
Bock wrote

There's no set rule, however consider that most people will play your March 27 entry and not everybody will update afterward.

Cool - good point... thanks for clearing up...!
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:21 pm
RETICA will present one hack.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:33 pm
Thanks for the feedback! Before I try the Dropbox link approach, I would like to know: Has my email from this morning (12 hours ago) gotten through to the compo elves? I removed every executable, including .bat files, and I did not get the mailer-daemon auto response. But I did not get the smspower confirmation email either?

Btw., awesome with hacks and code contributions beginning to line up! Where are you sverx? - there can not be an smspower compo in the devkitSMS-era without something from your hand :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am
hang-on wrote
Has my email from this morning (12 hours ago) gotten through to the compo elves?

We received a mail from you on
Mon, 19 Mar 2018 01:53:21 -0700 (PDT)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:35 am
Cyttorak wrote
I hope to take part in this competition with a Columns game. Currently it has no sound and nor I can create music. Would it be any problem if I use Master System original Columns music?

You can rip a VGM from any game you want but maybe some fellow forum user can contribute an original tune instead... anyone? :)

hang-on wrote
Where are you sverx? - there can not be an smspower compo in the devkitSMS-era without something from your hand

Unfortunately I won't be able to enter this time. Sorry, someone else has to take the lowest rank ;)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am
sverx wrote

You can rip a VGM from any game you want but maybe some fellow forum user can contribute an original tune instead... anyone? :)

Hey sverx

That was my idea, to rip the music from the original game so my version would have some. If anyone can make a theme for my game it would be very very welcome!

By the way I am making it using your libs, devkitSMS. Thank you for such a great job!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:58 am
@Cyttorak: file a request for help on this forum - we've got some good musicians here - or maybe on some chiptuner's forums. Also, thanks for using devkitSMS, I'm happy you like it! :)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:48 pm
Have finished the Game!

Now i am going to fix some things here and there and definitely Will be presented at the compo. It features colaboratións from Ray commend and Richard Morgan from 8bitmagicgames… and testing from an anonymous technical Guy, so i am Happy, as i was not sure about the finishing date!
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:37 pm
Revo wrote
RETICA will present one hack.

Two actually^^

edit: I send out one hack entry today and got a confirmation message back. Two days ago I send out one coding entry (from Monos) and didn't got any confirmation message :/

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:56 pm
No attachment -> no automatic response... Also it seems to fail this rule:

> Entries should be either made for this competition, or substantially different to any earlier release.

As he's put it online 10 days early.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:24 pm
Thank you for the clear up.

Maybe that you can do an exception as Monos was not aware of the rules because he doesn't know English?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:51 pm
Ummm.... Where is that Game. Published?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:51 pm
Revo, the lisez-moi doesn't even mention SMS Power, how is it a competition entry?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 pm
We are a bit low on music entries this year (I counted two people entered), I hope there are a few last minute entries in progress - and maybe time to join in if you have some talent, and start now!

Similar for hacks, we seem to only have one person who has submitted hacks so far.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:15 pm
Last edited by Bock on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
I'm updating the rules for the Hacks competition, we unfortunately can't take regular GG2SMS hacks in the competition.

Please be mindful that combing through submissions takes a lot of time, we don't need to receive an update every 3 hours :) Once the games are posted you'll be free to update them yourself by attaching updates to your thread. And probably people feedback will help!

If you send me a bunch of e-mails, we'd rather treat your last e-mail as a full submission so everything needs to be included in the last e-mail.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:23 pm
Maxim wrote
Revo, the lisez-moi doesn't even mention SMS Power, how is it a competition entry?

I just asked him to put SMSPower on the title screen, will see.

Bock wrote
I'm updating the rules for the Hacks competition, we can't take regular GG2SMS hacks in the competition.

Then I will propose a third entry^^

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:44 pm
Bock, you changed the rules, but you don't specify GG2SMS hacks can't take Competiton until 3-4 hours last day is over (GMT+1)

I think it is not fair, hacks needed a lot of programming

As Revo says you can do a third entry for GG2SMS hacks
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 pm
The deadline is tonight or tomorrow night?

I said third entry because I already have 2 hack made with KiddEd for the competition.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:05 pm
Really I don't know.

I read deadline is March 27th, I don't know at 00:00 or 23:59...
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 pm
It seems there are going to be a bunch of entries. Thats good! I Hope to pass the holy week here in spain playing someone else work!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:43 pm
BcnAbel76 wrote
Really I don't know.

I read deadline is March 27th, I don't know at 00:00 or 23:59...

I'd also like to know this. *hoping for 23:59, as I've still got a bit of work to get done on my game*
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:26 pm
"Deadline is 27th March 2018. You may choose to interpret that in any reasonable way. We expect people to submit patches/fixes in the following days, but try to get your entry submitted by March 27. "

I will be posting entries from tomorrow morning UK time, entries received later may be added slowly. Historically some people submit entries at 23:59 or later, and accept that they may get a little less attention.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:12 am
BcnAbel76 wrote
Bock, you changed the rules, but you don't specify GG2SMS hacks can't take Competiton until 3-4 hours last day is over (GMT+1)

OK but we can't be adding 6+ entries per person, especially as there is a thread with hundreds of similar work posted regularly. I don't mind changing it but we can we limit the entry amount to 2 per category?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:05 pm
Bock wrote
BcnAbel76 wrote

OK but we can't be adding 6+ entries per person, especially as there is a thread with hundreds of similar work posted regularly. I don't mind changing it but we can we limit the entry amount to 2 per category?

Ok, I understand it.

Then I need to choose which game hacks will be compete, no????

I sent 6 game hacks for Competition 2018, and all for 2 player game hacks.

It is not very common to see, until 2018 nobody did it, for this reason I sent those 6 hacks
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:48 pm
Which of the hacks are not already released? I'm happy to take something that is reasonably complete, and new.

Status update: all posted except for the mysterious Monos game and the GG2SMS hacks, where we want to decide if they are competition entries. Polls will be added later.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:18 pm
"Hacks competition

Make a hack of a game for a Sega 8-bit home system.
(See our Hacks section for an idea of past work done by the community.)"

Before yesterday at night, it is not specify GG2SMS are not valid for Hack Competition, then in my opinion if it is not specified then it is valid

This hacks was done in assembler with no Editor Suite Program, that is really hard to do and I don't understand why understimate it, wich really requires more hardware/software knowledge

Most Game Gear games are ported to Master System, but capabilities with 2 players are stripped, and 1p game only was ported to Master System

I think it is new to GG2SMS port 2Players Games running ready, and they should be final releases, except fixing little bugs.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:33 pm
* Entries should be either made for this competition, or substantially different to any earlier release

This is the issue for me. Which were not already posted in the GG2SMS topic? I haven't kept up fully, I see videos of these, but are they not released yet?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:22 pm
I sent this hacks:

- Bare Knuckle ~ Streets of Rage (World) 2PLAYERS MODE V0.6 GG2SMS
- Bare Knuckle II~ Streets of Rage II (World) 2PLAYERS MODE V0.8 GG2SMS
- FATAL FURY SPECIAL ( 2PLAYERS MODE ) V1.2 GG2SMS
- The Berlin Wall (Berlin No Kabe) v1.2 GG2SMS
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers v0.6 GG2SMS
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, The Movie v0.6 GG2SMS

Fatal Fury, Berlin Wall, Power Rangers 1 & 2 never support before 2 Players
Streets of Rage 1 & 2 is getting corrected code for Player 2 control and more bugfixes

If you think a hack game running in 1P only game, then upgrade to 2P Cooperative or Versus game is not an enough upgrade then ok.

Those hacks are for conversions, and original games requires 2 Game Gears linked and 2 games, all code for player 2 is needed to be rewritten to enable when you press start for Player2
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:22 pm
Maxim wrote
"Deadline is 27th March 2018. You may choose to interpret that in any reasonable way. We expect people to submit patches/fixes in the following days, but try to get your entry submitted by March 27. ".

I've just sent through my "Simpsons Trivia" entry for this year's Coding competition and received the confirmation email OK so managed to make the deadline... phew! :)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:30 pm
Happy 21st anniversary everyone!

The kids are asleep, wife is sleeping/watching Netflix, wine is in the glass, and I have a nice long evening of retrogoodies to dive into! I look forward to experience what you guys have come up with this year :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:14 pm
I'll post late entries later today. I will also post the hacks, to be honest the quantity makes it difficult to post them all as entries, but on the other hand we don't have any other hacks apart from Revo's otherwise. Bundling them as a single entry doesn't make sense either.

For next year, I think we should limit entries per person per category. We prefer fewer polished entries to many smaller works, and the effort to post it all is quite difficult for us. If you were able to perfect a single GG2SMS hack, for example by clearing all garbage, rebuilding the title screen and levels to use the screen space, etc, it might be more interesting. Very hard work though...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!