Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Meka Brightness v Fusion

Reply to topic
Meka Brightness v Fusion
Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:26 pm
When I take screen capture a game with Meka it is always comes out brighter and looks more colorful than the same shot taken with fusion, why is this?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:34 pm
Maybe your Fusion uses some TV simulating filters. Generally there's not one perfect representation, if you consider that those console outputs are analog and different cabling / TV set would get out different outputs. Meka maps colors without much filtering and assuming that the VDP component intensity maps linearly to our standard 0..255 scale (which itself isn't a linear mapping of brightness, FYI).

If you post comparative screenshots we could discuss it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:32 pm
I noticed my CRTs seem to actually show brighter colours than Meka, dark grey is about 50% and light grey about 75%. This is not necessarily correct, of course. Emulator colours often better represent the developers' intentions.

Oh a technical note, some emulators extend the two bits per channel with a left shift by 6, leaving the lower bits unset. A range filling approach is to fill them with the same two bits, repeated left to right, via bitwise operations, which gets you to Meka's 0, 85, 170, 255 which are binary 00000000, 01010101, 10101010 and 11111111 respectively. A fully calibrated lookup might be better, but then monitor calibration means it's still not really accurate.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!