Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SG-1000/SC-3000/Mark III/JP SMS ⇒ Export SMS ⇒ Game Gear Converter

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:44 pm
Think I found it
Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:52 pm
xjunorx wrote
I went through and got all the patches but cant seem to find them all. Is there a linking to all of them?

They should all be in the ZIP file: http://www.smspower.org/forums/download.php?id=14127
Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:56 pm
Yeah thanks I searched for zip and found it.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:38 pm
bsittler wrote
Looks like hot-swapping from a flash cart running the palette patcher to the real cartridge plugged into an adapter also works with the テレビおえかき (TV oekaki) set too.

Wow. These "hacks" here are a great project. And i also saw, that here on "SMS POWER" are alot of "Game Gear to Master System" hacks too, which not only runs then on "Master System", but also on a real "Mega Drive" using an Everdrive for example.

Would be fantastic, when the "SG 1000" game "Guzzler", which here in this thread is also listed and then comes out as a "Game Gear" game after the transformation, could be transformed in a Master System game.

Then people could play it on their Mega Drive consoles. And i am a fan of "Guzzler", cause the Arcade machine of this game was in a Arcade gaming room here in my town when i was a kid. Played it alot back in the days. Sadly the only home-version of this game seems to be for the SG-1000. It don't exist on any other platform, but with this transformation way, i could play it on my Mega Drive.

If any of the "Game Gear to Master System" hack experts could please have a look on the "SG-1000 to Game Gear" transformed rom of "Guzzler" and make it Master System compatibel, it would really be superb !!!
Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:58 pm
That would require a much more involved porting effort.

The Mega Drive hardware's SMS-compatible mode does not include the SG-1000 video modes used by these games.

The Game Gear hardware, in contrast, does implement an extended palette-remappable version of these modes but is missing the necessary palette initialization code in its BIOS. Pretty much all these hacks do is initialize the palette and then run the rest of the game unmodified.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:57 pm
bsittler wrote
The Game Gear hardware, in contrast, does implement an extended palette-remappable version of these modes but is missing the necessary palette initialization code in its BIOS. Pretty much all these hacks do is initialize the palette and then run the rest of the game unmodified.

Ah okay, i understand. That's too bad, would have been great to play Guzzler on my Mega-Drive.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:43 am
I bought a Mega Sg, and today I got around to trying my homebuilt adapter in this thread (see the first post) on it.

I plugged in the Analogue Master System adapter into the Mega Sg, and then plugged my SG-1000/Mark III>Master system adapter into that.

Every SG-1000 and Mark III game I tried loaded up and played! I tried:

Cartridges
--------------------
Sega Flipper (SG)
Championship Boxing (SG)
Girl's Garden (SG)
Home Majong (SG)
Congo Bongo (SG)
Zaxxon (SG)
The Castle (SG)
Zaxxon 3D (Mark III)

My Cards (via the Card Catcher)
---------------------
Choplifter (SG)
Championship Lode Runner (SG)
Bank Panic (SG)
Championship Boxing (SG)
Rock'n Bolt (SG)
Soukoban (SG)
Championship Ice Hockey (SG)
Spy vs. Spy (Mark III)

I only had problems playing one game: Soukoban. This loaded, but kept glitching out and crashing. Collision detection was totally broken. This game card works fine on a SG-1000 II I picked up in the 16 months or so since I started this topic. The issue might be with the Mega Sg, or there could be something different with this game compared to the others such that my adapter screws up the game.

Also, SG controllers work when plugged into the Mega Sg for SG games. The SG controllers are so terrible though that I don't think I will ever do so again.

As for the palette that SG games load in: it looks like it might be the TMS palette. I loaded up two copies of Girl's Garden, one on analog RF from my SG-1000 II and one on HDMI from the Mega Sg on a Japanese television. The colors were close, but the Mega Sg colors were darker/muted compared to the SG-1000 when I flipped back and forth between inputs. This might be because of some extra processing my TV was doing. Didn't spend a lot of time looking into it.

Anyways, once Analogue releases more of their adapters for this system it'd be interesting to see how it compares to the adapters I and other have come up with.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:09 pm
bsittler wrote
sverx wrote
ROM updated

Thank you!

That's also a very useful starting point for patching SG-1000 games so that they worked when flashed onto Game Gear cartridges. However it doesn't do the lower-color-depth palette setup needed to run those same games on a Gear Master or any other cartridge or adapter that is wired for Master System mode.

I've been hacking on Zaxxon and so far this seems to be working well in both Game Gear mode and Master System mode with a single ROM (just change the cartridge wiring to switch modes.)

Palette setup function - this checks for in($00) == $C0 to figure out whether to set up the palette for Game Gear mode or for Master Gear Converter mode. Apologies for the ugly and duplicated code, this was written in a hex editor but really needs to move to ASM.

00007f60: db00 fec0 2870 182a 1100 c00e bff3 ed59  ....(p.*.......Y                                                                 
00007f70: ed51 fb06 100e beed a320 fcc9 1110 c00e  .Q....... ......                                                                 
00007f80: bff3 ed59 ed51 fb06 100e beed a320 fcc9  ...Y.Q....... ..                                                                 
00007f90: 219c 7fcd 687f 219c 7fc3 7c7f 0000 181d  !...h.!...|.....                                                                 
00007fa0: 353a 023d 172b 1a1f 0427 2a3f 1100 c00e  5:.=.+...'*?....                                                                 
00007fb0: bff3 ed59 ed51 fb06 200e beed a320 fcc9  ...Y.Q.. .... ..                                                                 
00007fc0: 1120 c00e bff3 ed59 ed51 fb06 200e beed  . .....Y.Q.. ...                                                                 
00007fd0: a320 fcc9 21e0 7fcd ac7f 21e0 7fc3 c07f  . ..!.....!.....                                                                 
00007fe0: 0000 0000 c204 d507 550e 770f 5d04 e40f  ........U.w.]...                                                                 
00007ff0: 5f05 7f07 cd05 ce08 b203 5c0b cc0c ff0f  _.........\.....                                                                 

The Game Gear native mode palette is from your code, but I couldn't find a Master System mode palette I'm completely happy with. At the moment I'm using this one:

00 00 18 1d 35 3a 02 3d 17 2b 1a 1f 04 27 2a 3f

To wire this palette into Zaxxon, I changed the relative jump displacement at 00000007 from $61 to $1A, overwrote five $00 bytes (I hope they weren't important!) at 00000023 with a call to the palette setup routine followed by a rest-of-the-way relative jump: cd 607f 1841

The only other change was to overwrite the very end of the ROM with the palette setup routine above. I'm sure someone who actually knows Z-80 asm could shorten it significantly, especially since it has two copies of everything, one for each mode, and it could also easily be converted to a single straight-line function to save some bytes.

edit: updated patch to add a ROM header with "export SMS" region and a valid checksum too. Consequently the code was relocated 16 bytes earlier than the version hex-dumped above. The SG-1000 Zaxxon dump I took and applied this patch to had length 32768 bytes and MD5 52bbf5336c190610a0fb1ab0bdaca455

edit 2: In case you're interested in fine-tuning the SMS palette, there's a jsfiddle I've been using to explore possible mappings: https://jsfiddle.net/xjz7dyen/3/

edit 3: The same patch seems to work for Doki Doki Penguin Land, an SG-1000 My Card. I have a separate patch for it here only because the added ROM headers differ. The SG-1000 Penguin Land dump I took and applied this patch to had length 32768 bytes and MD5 79f15598828e697e75c65130262d8d94

edit 4: A very similar patch seems to work for Bomb Jack, another SG-1000 My Card. The SG-1000 Bomb Jack dump I took and applied this patch to had length 32768 bytes and MD5 0bf5b6959fc1b58d8e37f9647f47a0b3

Are you doing the CRAM thing described here? Or something different?
Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:08 am
Yeah, like that except with choice of three different palettes — two are more like TMS, the other is basically identical to SMS's TMS modes (so, the one on that post). For each palette there is a more accurate version used in high-color depth GG-native mode (however that will cut off the screen edges) and a low-color depth version used in GG-SMS mode (some hues are adjusted to keep palette entries distinct in the TMS-derived palettes in this case though). Palette selection is by direction pad pressure during a start-up "rainbow BG color" animation, and uses up/neutral/down to select one at the very end of the animation. You can modify the included sources if you prefer different colors of course
Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:23 pm
bsittler wrote
Yeah, like that except with choice of three different palettes — two are more like TMS, the other is basically identical to SMS's TMS modes (so, the one on that post). For each palette there is a more accurate version used in high-color depth GG-native mode (however that will cut off the screen edges) and a low-color depth version used in GG-SMS mode (some hues are adjusted to keep palette entries distinct in the TMS-derived palettes in this case though). Palette selection is by direction pad pressure during a start-up "rainbow BG color" animation, and uses up/neutral/down to select one at the very end of the animation. You can modify the included sources if you prefer different colors of course

Hey man. Although this topic is all about playing the good SG-1000 games on Game Gear, I'm just wondering if it was possible to use a Master System to Game Gear Converter (No, not that one cartridge with small screen size, I'm talking about using full SMS palette just like using SG-1000 palettes.)? Maybe just the SG-1000 games will be fine if it's not possible. I'm also just curious.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:41 pm
Not sure I understand... Game Gear plays Master System games just fine for the most part, provided you use one of the converters (Master Gear Converter or similar), a flash cartridge (EverDrive GG or similar), or one of the retail game cartridges that was wired for GG-SMS (Castle of Illusion is one example).

The original GG screen's resolution left something to be desired for SMS games but the vast majority are at least playable. Unlike the SG-1000 games, SMS games using non-TMS video modes already configure their own color palettes, and these are reproduced fairly accurately on the Game Gear except that the image is crudely downsampled in the horizontal dimension with only two color subchannels being reproduced on the GG LCD per SMS pixel (RG-, -GB, or R-B, depending on the column) which can render some text unreadable depending on the colors and font used. (Games already designed for playability on NTSC televisions with their severe color degradation tend to fare slightly better than those only designed for PAL)

The McWill screen mod reproduces all the SMS color subchannels and is definitely recommended for improving image quality and reducing eye strain, despite its inaccuracies in the brightness of the blue subchannel.

edit: Oh and converting a game from SMS mode to GG-native mode - I guess you could call it "SMS2GG" - is certainly possible too, increasing the color depth available to the game to RGB444 from RGB222, but it comes with significant downsides: only the central portion of the SMS screen is visible on the GG display, so gameplay generally needs to be adapted, and all color palette initialization code needs to be located and adapted to write twice as much palette data. Typically support for the GG Start button needs to be added, and multiplayer support removed, modified to use only Player 1 controls, or rewritten significantly to use the link cable and communicate & synchronize with another copy of the same game running on the remote system. Some commercial games were likely converted in this manner (though typically using source-level modification and re-compilation/re-assembly rather than machine code patching) for their official GG releases, e.g. Bubble Bobble. Sound output can also be improved, taking advantage of additional hardware capabilities. Additional working RAM is available too, which can sometimes be helpful when porting.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:04 pm
bsittler wrote
Not sure I understand... Game Gear plays Master System games just fine for the most part, provided you use one of the converters (Master Gear Converter or similar), a flash cartridge (EverDrive GG or similar), or one of the retail game cartridges that was wired for GG-SMS (Castle of Illusion is one example).

The original GG screen's resolution left something to be desired for SMS games but the vast majority are at least playable. Unlike the SG-1000 games, SMS games using non-TMS video modes already configure their own color palettes, and these are reproduced fairly accurately on the Game Gear except that the image is crudely downsampled in the horizontal dimension with only two color subchannels being reproduced on the GG LCD per SMS pixel (RG-, -GB, or R-B, depending on the column) which can render some text unreadable depending on the colors and font used. (Games already designed for playability on NTSC televisions with their severe color degradation tend to fare slightly better than those only designed for PAL)

The McWill screen mod reproduces all the SMS color subchannels and is definitely recommended for improving image quality and reducing eye strain, despite its inaccuracies in the brightness of the blue subchannel.

edit: Oh and converting a game from SMS mode to GG-native mode - I guess you could call it "SMS2GG" - is certainly possible too, increasing the color depth available to the game to RGB444 from RGB222, but it comes with significant downsides: only the central portion of the SMS screen is visible on the GG display, so gameplay generally needs to be adapted, and all color palette initialization code needs to be located and adapted to write twice as much palette data. Typically support for the GG Start button needs to be added, and multiplayer support removed, modified to use only Player 1 controls, or rewritten significantly to use the link cable and communicate & synchronize with another copy of the same game running on the remote system. Some commercial games were likely converted in this manner (though typically using source-level modification and re-compilation/re-assembly rather than machine code patching) for their official GG releases, e.g. Bubble Bobble. Sound output can also be improved, taking advantage of additional hardware capabilities. Additional working RAM is available too, which can sometimes be helpful when porting.

Okay, also, I have patches for something called 128 Total. I did see that page before, but is there a download for that anywhere or in that one page?
Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:51 pm
I think it's waiting in the smspower release queue still
Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:58 pm
bsittler wrote
I think it's waiting in the smspower release queue still
Oh, okay then. Also, I tried to do a Start button test for when pausing a game. It doesn't work yet, but I'm still trying. Keep your fingers crossed if we do get this feature.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:38 am
So, results back. Bomb Jack using the GG start button, made a TMR SEGA header (GG styled), used input $00 for the start, aaaaaaaaaannnnnnd...... You can start the game easily by pressing start, though, when you press start in game, you get Bomb Jack jumping.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:32 pm
hello guys, does anyone have hero sg 1000 for master system 32k to use in cartridge?
Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:19 pm
Luckaosts wrote
hello guys, does anyone have hero sg 1000 for master system 32k to use in cartridge?

Hmmmmmm... There's only the SG-1000 H.E.R.O. I don't know if anybody planned on sending it to the SMS, but I can see if I can get it to the SMS.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:15 am
The sg2gg patch for H.E.R.O. adds an export header with a checksum I believe. Is that what you're looking for?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:59 am
bsittler wrote
The sg2gg patch for H.E.R.O. adds an export header with a checksum I believe. Is that what you're looking for?

So the SMS Export header is that when you want to play it on a big screen, you switch it to the SMS? I thought you could just play it easy on the GG with it's own empty header, even the Japanese SMS agrees on having an incorrect header.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:15 pm
My beliefs:

Export SMS needs header with valid checksum

Japanese SMS, Mark III, and Korean Gam*Boy/Aladdin Boy don't check for a header

Game Gear with no BIOS doesn't check for a header

Game Gear with BIOS checks for a header but doesn't care about the checksum (I think it's all zeroes in official releases)

Also, not typically relevant for SG-1000 games due to missing the video modes they use, but I believe adapters for playing SMS and Mark III games in Mega Drive/Genesis consoles don't check for a header either

All SG2GG patched ROM's should work on Game Gear, SMS, Mark III, Aladdin Boy, and Gam*Boy consoles that don't check the header. Those marked with * in the manifest.txt should additionally work on Game Gear and SMS consoles that do check the header.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:01 pm
This is probably a dead forum chat, but wakey-wakey. Remember when I was trying to test out the start button to pause the game? It so happens that I just made that into a reality. I took a look at gdx's way for the MSX when he converted Championship Lode Runner to the MSX, so I decided to try it out too. So, yeah. Also, I'm using my color converter method. So you will see a ton of SG-1000 colors mixed up.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:34 pm
Stokes wrote
This is probably a dead forum chat, but wakey-wakey. Remember when I was trying to test out the start button to pause the game? It so happens that I just made that into a reality. I took a look at gdx's way for the MSX when he converted Championship Lode Runner to the MSX, so I decided to try it out too. So, yeah. Also, I'm using my color converter method. So you will see a ton of SG-1000 colors mixed up.

Nice! Making the start button pause is very handy
Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:59 am
bsittler wrote
Found several bugs in my previous versions, added a third palette (press down during start-up for one that's ColecoVision-inspired), added a "rainbow" animation so you can tell when to hold down the buttons, added more patches (for Pacar, a few of Bock's Gam*Boy dumps, and xbill), added VDP latch and VRAM re-inititalization (Pacar and Star Force needed that for correct rendering), and switched from hand-edited machine code to z80asm. The new version is attached to this message, but I intend to move it out of Forums (to Hacks) soon.

Some minimally-tested scripts are included with which you should be able to add patches for more games fairly easily, provided you have the required tools installed. At the moment the patches work by replacing the SP initialization instruction with a jump to the patcher. The asm source for the palette patcher should also be fairly easy to adapt for use in a cartridge adapter.

Feedback welcomed+appreciated!

edit: slightly fewer tool dependencies: still needs z80asm + flips + python + python2 + GNU make + gls or GNU ls + bash + cp + rm + zip

edit 2: patches earlier in this thread are updated to the latest version from this ZIP file (xbill and Gam*Boy patches are only in the ZIP file so far, though)

edit 3: flips dependency is gone and a python3 ips patch creator is included instead. it seems to give identical results.

edit 4: the patcher now copies itself into ram (0x0200 bytes starting at 0xc500) before doing anything interesting, and simulates a reset (sort of?) if it doesn't find the ROM contents it expects when it's done with VDP setup, so it's technically possible (NOTE: NOT AT ALL RECOMMENDED! THIS COULD PROBABLY DESTROY YOUR GAME GEAR AND/OR CARTRIDGE) to hot-swap cartridges during the 1-second rainbow animation and e.g. use a GG EverDrive to load the patcher (the SG2GG patched xbill should work well for this) but then very quickly swap in a cartridge connector converter (e.g. Gear Master + hand-built Mark Master Converter, maybe with a card catcher on top) with an SG-1000 game in it, and run the SG-1000 game with the correct palette; this same technique could probably also be used to build an on-device debugger and cartridge dumper (using the link port) for those cartridges not easily dumped by other means

edit 5: added apply_ips.py tool to complement create_ips.py and a "test" Makefile target to verify that the IPS patches from create_ips.py do in fact produce the expected patched files when applied to the original inputs; this uses the "cmp" command for checking and either "md5" or "md5sum" for diagnostic messages

edit 6: added patch for 48K Mojon Twins' Super Uwol
(MD5 36e35c0cf1596a906e02b102fc7e4f9d)

edit 7: now the rainbow animation can be paused by pressing the 1 button and control is not transferred to the game until all player 1 controls are released; together these mean it is fairly easy to pause long enough to hot-swap

edit 8: the patcher now has an equate to allow Sega mapper cartridge RAM to conditionally be mapped in from 0x8000 ... 0xbfff before jumping from RAM back to ROM. This is needed by The Castle, and works with GG EverDrive and the original Master EverDrive but not with the Master EverDrive X7. The Castle also works hot-swapped, of course, modulo the usual might-destroy-your-game-and-system caveat, but in that case it's not relying on the Sega mapper — it doesn't have a mapper, AFAIK, just some RAM + some ROM.

edit 9: added patches for more SG-1000 cartridges and MyCards

edit 10: added Terebi Oekaki, though of course it doesn't even boot (not sure whether that's a checksum routine, missing tablet hardware, or both)

edit 11: added one more Gam*Boy patch, for:
MD5 (Power Boggle Boggle (KR).sms) = a11f8c275c80fc397d11f776e4197966
(Ignore most of the emulators, it does work on actual hardware.)

edit 12: added a few more patches

edit 13: added patches for:

32K Champion Pro Wrestling (SG-1000) [!].sg
MD5 (Champion Pro Wrestling (SG-1000) [!].sg) = da9a4589303370e8a751c16b2cbfa628

16K Champion Soccer (SG-1000).sg
MD5 (Champion Soccer (SG-1000).sg) = 810064687e1614b6a7fb985b82806d31

32K Home Basic (Japan) (SC-3000).sc
MD5 (Home Basic (Japan) (SC-3000).sc) = cb724ebeaec9619281a906671c98a952

128K Loletta no Syouzou (J) [!].sg
MD5 (Loletta no Syouzou (J) [!].sg) = 8dcdd83e58be634a3735911a1af05bb3

edit 14: Added a couple more patches for Gam*Boy games; these patches are unfortunately rather large (BPS rather than IPS would fix that — I had to move a 16K block and use the Sega mapper to rearrange things to fit the patcher, and IPS does not efficiently represent that operation). Also generated .gg files (though not the .ips files, those are still based on the "Export" region .sms file) now use a Game Gear "International" region code, at least when there is room for a header.

edit 15: Added tiny utilities to compute several widely-used checksum flavors and included those values in the manifest; also added G2G Pad2 utility to use a second Game Gear with a Gear-to-Gear cable as a Player 2 controller (of course the second Game Gear screen doesn't show anything interesting, and the viewing angles didn't magically improve, but it's handy when you can't find a Master Link adapter)

edit 16: Added Mahjong (J) (SG-1000) (Small Title), Serizawa Hachidan no Tsumeshogi (SG-1000) [48K], and some more recent Mojon Twins homebrews: CheMan: P--as Batucadas, Cheril Perils Classic, Jet Paco & Jet Puri, and Sgt. Helmet: Training Day. Also the Makefile knows how to convert a few MSX1 ROMs — both regular ones dumped from cartridges, and a few of the modified one's from Konami's Saturn MSX Collection — to run on SMS/Game Gear, provided you also have Sky Jaguar [Clover] (KR) and/or Hicom's Galaxian (KR) from which it can extract the MSX BIOS replacement. Also included is a patch for playing the Gyruss ColecoVision-to-SG-1000 port on Game Gear, and a patch to allow MSX1 Galaxian to run on MSX2

edit 17: Added patches for a few more, some working and others (** = broken) not yet: Alibaba and 40 Thieves (KR)**, Block Hole (KR)**, Bomb Jack [english logo] (KR), Bomb Jack [korean logo] (KR), C_So! [MSX] (KR)**, Cabbage Patch Kids (TW), Challenge Derby (Japan) (Rev 1) (Alt 1) (Othello Multivision), Champion Boxing (Japan) (SG-1000), Champion Golf [cart] (KR), Champion Ice Hockey (KR), Choplifter (KR), Circus Charlie (KR), Circus Charlie (TW), Comic Bakery (KR), Drol (KR), E.I. - Exa Innova (KR), Eagles 5 (KR), Exerion (Japan, Europe, Australia, New Zealand), Exerion (KR), F-16 Fighting Falcon (J) [!], Fighting Falcon (U) [!], FA Tetris (KR)**, Flashpoint (KR)**, Gulkave (KR), Hyper Sports (Konami no) (KR), Hyper Sports 2 (TW), James Bond 007 (SG-1000) [!], King & Balloon (KR), Lode Runner (KR), Magical Tree (TW), Micro Xevious, The (KR), Okamoto Ayako no Match Play Golf (Japan) (Othello Multivision), Ping Pong (Konami's) (TW), Pooyan (KR), Puznic (KR), SG-1000 M2 Check Program [Proto], Safari Race (J) (SG-1000), Sega Galaga (SG-1000) [!], Soukoban (KR), Soukoban [IQ logo] (KR), Super Boy II (KR), Super Tank (KR), Xyzolog (KR)**, Yie Ar Kung-Fu (TW). Also the Makefile now knows how to extract the Joy Soft loader from C_So! [MSX] (KR) and apply it to other MSX games with varying degrees of success (seems possible OK with a few of the Namcot MSX titles.)

The patcher now takes additional parameters in the form of assembler equates to accomodate games that need interrupts to be enabled at the point of SP (stack pointer) set-up, which is where SG2GG is injected. This was necessary for James Bond 007 (SG-1000) [!].

edit 18: Added Pachinko 2 (SG-1000) [!] since I was finally able to dump my copy. Learned a little more about some of the non-Sega mappers and adapted a few Korean releases to the Sega mapper: Cyborg Z (KR), Super Bioman I (KR), Super Boy 3 (KR), Wonsiin (KR). Also all games that were previously broken are now fixed.

edit 19: Re-generated ZIP again including Makefile which was somehow omitted before; a few other patches added too

Extra patches are also included for a few special cases, including Sega mapper adaptation (look for "MAPPER" in the filename), adaptation to export SMS memory initialization ("INIT"), adaptation to not clobber Game Gear palette RAM ("PRAM"), and a few others documented in the Makefile.

List of patches (full manifest became too large for this post and is now an attachment):
[Alibaba and 40 Thieves (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Bank Panic (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Black_OnyxEN SG2GG.ips]
[Black_Onyx_EnhancedEN SG2GG.ips]
[Block Hole (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Bobble Bobble [Clover] (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Bomb Jack (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Bomb Jack [english logo] (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Bomb Jack [korean logo] (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[C_So! (J) (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[C_So! [MSX] (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Cabbage Patch Kids (TW) SG2GG.ips]
[Chack'n Pop (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[Chack'n Pop trans [v1.02] SG2GG.ips]
[Challenge Derby (Japan) (Rev 1) (Alt 1) (Othello Multivision) SG2GG.ips]
[Champion Billards (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips]
[Champion Boxing (Japan) (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Champion Boxing (SG-1000 Card) SG2GG.ips] *
[Champion Golf (J) (SG-1000) (V1.1) SG2GG.ips]
[Champion Golf (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[Champion Golf [cart] (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Champion Ice Hockey (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Champion Ice Hockey (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Champion Kendou (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Champion Pro Wrestling (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Champion Soccer (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Championship Loderunner (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[Choplifter (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Choplifter (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips]
[Circus Charlie (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Circus Charlie (TW) SG2GG.ips]
[Comic Bakery (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Congo Bongo (SG-1000) [a1] SG2GG.ips] *
[Cyborg Z (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Dragon Wang (SG-1000) (Ver-A) SG2GG.ips]
[Dragon Wang (SG-1000) (Ver-B) SG2GG.ips]
[Drol (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Drol (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[E.I. - Exa Innova (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Eagles 5 (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Elevator Action (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Exerion (Japan, Europe, Australia, New Zealand) SG2GG.ips] *
[Exerion (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[F-16 Fighting Falcon (J) [!] SG2GG.ips]
[F-16 Fighting Falcon (U) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[FA Tetris (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Flashpoint (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Flicky (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Galaxian (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Girl's Garden (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[Golgo 13 (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Gulkave (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Gulkave (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Guzzler (Japan) (Othello Multivision) SG2GG.ips] *
[H.E.R.O. (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Hang-On 2 (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Home Basic (Japan) (SC-3000) SG2GG.ips]
[Hong Kil Dong (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Hustle Chummy (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Hyper Sports (Konami no) (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Hyper Sports 2 (TW) SG2GG.ips]
[James Bond 007 (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[King & Balloon (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Lode Runner (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Loderunner (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Loletta no Syouzou (J) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Magical Tree (TW) SG2GG.ips]
[Mahjong (J) (SG-1000) (Small Title) SG2GG.ips] *
[Micro Xevious, The (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Monaco GP (J) (SG-1000) (V1.1) (32K) SG2GG.ips] *
[N-Sub (JTE) (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[New Boggle Boggle 2 (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Ninja Princess (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[Ninja_Princess_[T+Eng1.0_Goldenband] SG2GG.ips]
[NyanCat-SG-0.1 SG2GG.ips] *
[Okamoto Ayako no Match Play Golf (Japan) (Othello Multivision) SG2GG.ips]
[Orguss (SG-1000) (Alt) SG2GG.ips] *
[Othello (J) (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[Pacar (J) (SG-1000) (40K) SG2GG.ips]
[Pachinko 2 (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Penguin Land (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Ping Pong (Konami's) (TW) SG2GG.ips]
[Pitfall II (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips]
[Pooyan (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Pop Flamer (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Power Boggle Boggle (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Puznic (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Q-bert (Japan) (Othello Multivision) SG2GG.ips] *
[Rock N' Bolt (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[SG-1000 M2 Check Program [Proto] SG2GG.ips] *
[Safari Race (J) (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[Sega BASIC Level 3 V1 (SC-3000) SG2GG.ips]
[Sega Flipper (J) (SG-1000) (40K) SG2GG.ips]
[Sega Galaga (J) (SG-1000) (40K) SG2GG.ips] *
[Sega Galaga (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Sega_BASIC_Level_3_V1_(SC-3000)_export_header_checksum_removed SG2GG.ips] *
[Sega_BASIC_Level_3_V1_(SC-3000)_export_header_checksum_removed_24K SG2GG.ips] *
[Serizawa Hachidan no Tsumeshogi (SG-1000) [48K] SG2GG.ips]
[Sindbad Mystery (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Sky Fighter (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Sky Jaguar [Clover] (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Soukoban (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Soukoban (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Soukoban [IQ logo] (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Space Invaders (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Space Mountain (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Star Force (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips]
[Star Jacker (SG-1000) (V1.1) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Super Bioman I (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Super Boy 3 (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Super Boy I (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Super Boy II (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Super Bubble Bobble (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Super Columns (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Super Tank (KR) SG2GG.ips]
[Super Tank (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips]
[Terebi Oekaki (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips]
[The Black Onyx (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips]
[The Castle (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips]
[Wonder Boy (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Wonsiin (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Xyzolog (KR) SG2GG.ips] *
[Yie Ar Kung-Fu (TW) SG2GG.ips]
[Zaxxon (SG-1000) SG2GG.ips] *
[Zippy Race (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[Zoom 909 (SG-1000) [!] SG2GG.ips] *
[che_man_ntsc SG2GG.ips]
[che_man_pal SG2GG.ips]
[cheril_perils_ntsc SG2GG.ips]
[cheril_perils_pal SG2GG.ips]
[jet_paco_ntsc SG2GG.ips]
[jet_paco_pal SG2GG.ips]
[mojon-twins--super-uwol SG2GG.ips]
[sgtd_ntsc SG2GG.ips]
[sgtd_pal SG2GG.ips]
[xbill SG2GG.ips] *
* - includes BIOS header

Is there any way how you guys or whoever did this manage to shrink the screen for the Game Gear? Any source?
Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:36 pm
Only way I know is to force it into SMS mode. EverDrives do that when file extension is sms rather than gg. Electrically there is a pin on the Game Gear cartridge slot that the cartridge uses to select the system mode (GG vs SMS.) There is also "TV" mode but that one is fairly useless for most purposes since it stops the CPU I believe and changes the meaning of many other pins.
Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:26 pm
bsittler wrote
Only way I know is to force it into SMS mode. EverDrives do that when file extension is sms rather than gg. Electrically there is a pin on the Game Gear cartridge slot that the cartridge uses to select the system mode (GG vs SMS.) There is also "TV" mode but that one is fairly useless for most purposes since it stops the CPU I believe and changes the meaning of many other pins.

Hmm.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!