Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - How to learn programming sms-applications ?

Reply to topic
BIGthunder
How to learn programming sms-applications ?
Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:43 pm
I want to start programming simple applications for my sms. I know its hard, i know its all assembler. But is there a good introduction in z80-assembler anywhere at the internet ?

Matthias
Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:48 pm
> I want to start programming simple applications for my sms. I know its hard, i know its all assembler. But is there a good introduction in z80-assembler anywhere at the internet ?

Hi,
It is not that hard to programm this Console as you may think.
Thomas Scherers Z80 Page "http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/3938/z80_home.htm" is a good startingpoint for z80 ASM. Any other SMS related programming infos can be found in the Documentation section of this page. I've started programming the GameGear /wich is nearly the same/ one Month ago , and my first game will be finnished in a week, or so. You see, it is half that complicated as one thiks about assembler programming. One hint at the end: Take the Emulator "MEKA". it shows you wich "tiles" are currently loaded, the current palette and some other informations of the Hardware.
/Rergisters, etc... /. Assemblers can be found on this site. I prefer "TASM". This should be more than enough for a start in the deep's of Z80 and MasterSystem/GameGear

Good luck,
Matthias

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 11:07 pm
> I want to start programming simple applications for my sms. I know its hard, i know its all assembler. But is there a good introduction in z80-assembler anywhere at the internet ?

In my opinion, if you've never programmed in assembly for any platform, you really need a good book to get you started. "Programming the Z80" by Rodnay Zaks and "Z80 Assembly Language Programming" by Lance Leventhal are good starting points - I learned 10 times more from a few hours spent with these books than I did from several weeks plodding around the Internet. (Thomas Scherrer's site, that Matthias mentioned, is a very good resource for reference, but it won't actually teach you how to begin programming in assembler, which is really what you need.)

I've been doing some Z80 stuff for about 10 months now, and although I'm nowhere near programming a full SMS game (a few simple demos are all I've done), I'm a lot further than I'd have been without the Leventhal or Zaks books.

While these books are no longer in print, your local library should be able to help you get hold of them.

For the SMS-specific stuff, of course, the Docs section of this site is the place to be.

Mike

salah
Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:50 am
> I want to start programming simple applications for my sms. I know its hard, i know its all assembler. But is there a good introduction in z80-assembler anywhere at the internet ? i want to make the short message servece.

Olufemi Odebode
Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:30 pm
> > I want to start programming simple applications for my sms. I know its hard, i know its all assembler. But is there a good introduction in z80-assembler anywhere at the internet ?

> Hi,
> It is not that hard to programm this Console as you may think.
> Thomas Scherers Z80 Page "http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/3938/z80_home.htm" is a good startingpoint for z80 ASM. Any other SMS related programming infos can be found in the Documentation section of this page. I've started programming the GameGear /wich is nearly the same/ one Month ago , and my first game will be finnished in a week, or so. You see, it is half that complicated as one thiks about assembler programming. One hint at the end: Take the Emulator "MEKA". it shows you wich "tiles" are currently loaded, the current palette and some other informations of the Hardware.
> /Rergisters, etc... /. Assemblers can be found on this site. I prefer "TASM". This should be more than enough for a start in the deep's of Z80 and MasterSystem/GameGear

> Good luck,
> Matthias

Odebode Olufemi
Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:34 pm
> > I want to start programming simple applications for my sms and Networking Engineering Tutorial. I know its hard, i know its all assembler. But is there a good introduction in z80-assembler anywhere at the internet ?

> Hi,
> It is not that hard to programm this Console as you may think.
> Thomas Scherers Z80 Page "http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/3938/z80_home.htm" is a good startingpoint for z80 ASM. Any other SMS related programming infos can be found in the Documentation section of this page. I've started programming the GameGear /wich is nearly the same/ one Month ago , and my first game will be finnished in a week, or so. You see, it is half that complicated as one thiks about assembler programming. One hint at the end: Take the Emulator "MEKA". it shows you wich "tiles" are currently loaded, the current palette and some other informations of the Hardware.
> /Rergisters, etc... /. Assemblers can be found on this site. I prefer "TASM". This should be more than enough for a start in the deep's of Z80 and MasterSystem/GameGear

> Good luck,
> Matthias

ahmed maher
Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:16 am

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!