Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MSX to SMS Hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:04 pm
Stokes wrote
Greenknight9000 wrote
Stokes wrote
Greenknight9000 wrote
I know that Donkey Kong isn't possible to port to the SMS (not exactly sure why though) but I wonder if Mario Bros. is possible? Yeah it's a poor port with almost Sonic-like momentum physics, but it's still pretty fun! I say that the multiplayer would feel better with playing with two comfy controllers. Hahaha

I could try to port DK. Also, Brother Adventure (if that's what you're talking about) is possible.

Oh! That'd be great! Thank you!
And I actually was misremembering the Mario Bros port and was thinking about the Amstrad version of Mario Bros. Derp - though there IS a homebrew Colecovision port of Mario Bros that might be able to be ported some day?

I also mentioned the MSX port of Popeye and was wondering if that can be done, since I'm quite an avid player of the Colecovision version of Popeye, which is what the MSX port is based on

Well CV Popeye was ported and can be seen in this topic: https://www.smspower.org/forums/9867-SG1000ToColecoVisionPorts
I might plan on porting CV Mayro Bros. (trying to be less n-----don't for the Sega community) to the Sega system.

Hmm
I had a look in all pages and I can't seem to find any signs of Popeye - I tried using the Finder function on my browser to double-check, but there's indeed no mentions of Popeye. Maybe I'm just blind lol

Edit: Yep. Was blind.. Though sadly the port itself doesn't work and crashes upon startup, Hahaha - but I'm eager to see Mario Bros ported, since that requires the SGM IIRC
Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:50 pm
Here's a game the developer wanted me to convert, Black Sea now on the SMS.
Fixed v1.1: Infinite Lives fixed.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:08 pm
It dont is working propely with 2 emulators. Emulicious - appear the infinity lives select and dont run. Fusion - you can select lives option but the next screen is messy and controls dont work well.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:31 am
Stokes wrote
Blank wrote
Good evening for all Team!

It´s possible this games above convert MSX to SMS?
1- Elevator Action
2- 1942
3- Arknoid 1

Congratulations for all TEAM develpment convertion MSX1 to SMS!!!
Peace and Harmony for all!

Hi, as I might start to get back on track on returning to do MSX2SMS, I have some games in plan of converting right now, Elevator Action and Arkanoid had problems running on the system, but I do know that it doesn't have a problem running on the Sega SF-7000. For 1942, I have got it working without changes, but it's glitchy. I will do some changes for the mappers in the game.

If a port is possible on the SMS, would it be possible to get it to work with the paddle control (spinner)

Here is the msx version working with a spinner
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:34 pm
segarule wrote
It dont is working propely with 2 emulators. Emulicious - appear the infinity lives select and dont run. Fusion - you can select lives option but the next screen is messy and controls dont work well.

Hi friend, with MEKA emulator works perfect , thanks again to Stokes for the conversion ;)
Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:56 pm
Mananuk77 wrote
segarule wrote

Hi friend, with MEKA emulator works perfect , thanks again to Stokes for the conversion ;)

Anytime.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:39 pm
I found the "official" (from the 90s) Penguin Adventure rom, but it doesn't work on any emulator I test it on. What's going on?
Also, will it work on a flashcart?

Do I just have a bad rom? Found it in these very own forums in a post saying it was gonna self destruct. It still hasn't. It's from ten years ago
Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:14 am
cheaptools wrote
I found the "official" (from the 90s) Penguin Adventure rom, but it doesn't work on any emulator I test it on. What's going on?

Do I just have a bad rom? Found it in these very own forums in a post saying it was gonna self destruct. It still hasn't. It's from ten years ago

If you mean Zemina's port, then I'd recommend running it on Genesis Plus GX and see if that works.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:25 am
Stokes wrote
cheaptools wrote

If you mean Zemina's port, then I'd recommend running it on Genesis Plus GX and see if that works.

I didn't expect it to look and sound absolutely awful. Does a better rom exist?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:36 am
cheaptools wrote
Stokes wrote
cheaptools wrote

I didn't expect it to look and sound absolutely awful. Does a better rom exist?

Basically, that's just it. Unless if I can try to port it good, this is all you got.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:30 pm
Here are 2 Geppo games I ported, the controller works now. I also have news for Freedom Fighter, while I got the title screen working, the story also went through, but not the game, so it takes me back to the BIOS. I'ma have to fix that.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:53 pm
Stokes wrote
Here are 2 Geppo games I ported, the controller works now. I also have news for Freedom Fighter, while I got the title screen working, the story also went through, but not the game, so it takes me back to the BIOS. I'ma have to fix that.

Would Bokosuka Wars be possible? The NES version is so garbage, it would be greatly appreciated
Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:38 pm
cheaptools wrote
Stokes wrote

Would Bokosuka Wars be possible? The NES version is so garbage, it would be greatly appreciated

Bokosuka Wars works, but it's only the title, I'ma see what's going on with the game.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:11 pm
Converted Cross Blaim to the SMS.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:57 am
Stokes wrote
Converted Cross Blaim to the SMS.

Congratulations, Stokes. Cool! But i see that you map the jump to up and password to 2. Not would be better the inverse? BTW, when player buy a weapon it is selected with 2 and the screen have the pointer + password.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:50 pm
I got permisson from nanochess to post my Zombie Near conversion for the SMS. It works perfectly, but the title screen looks garbled after some of it gets corrected.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:12 pm
Stokes wrote
I got permisson from nanochess to post my Zombie Near conversion for the SMS. It works perfectly, but the title screen looks garbled after some of it gets corrected.

Congratulations @Stokes! The game works fine with Meka and Fusion but not in Emulicious, at least with me. Sombebody can test it with original hardware?
Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:01 pm
segarule wrote
Stokes wrote

Congratulations @Stokes! The game works fine with Meka and Fusion but not in Emulicious, at least with me. Sombebody can test it with original hardware?

Looks same as in Emulicious. See attached photo.
The C-BIOS logo is similarly glitched. Also like in Emulicious.
But the game itself seems to work just fine in Emulicious and on my SMS.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:50 pm
Calindro wrote
segarule wrote
Stokes wrote

Ok. Im using Win 10 64 but my emulicious version dont is updated. In truth dont open neither C-BIOS logo. You could explain why this occurs?
Edit: I updated Emulicious now. Now it is running but with some screen glitches. The C-BIOS logo seems messed up but this dont occurs with Fusion and Meka.Besides, the color sprites of character is altered in Emulicious.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:23 am
segarule wrote
Calindro wrote
segarule wrote
Stokes wrote

Ok. Im using Win 10 64 but my emulicious version dont is updated. In truth dont open neither C-BIOS logo. You could explain why this occurs?
Edit: I updated Emulicious now. Now it is running but with some screen glitches. The C-BIOS logo seems messed up but this dont occurs with Fusion and Meka.Besides, the color sprites of character is altered in Emulicious.

Yeah, like I said the C-BIOS logo is glitched on hardware similar to the titlescreen (it looks the same in Emulicious). Kega Fusion uses wrong colors for MSX conversions.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:44 am
Calindro wrote
segarule wrote
Calindro wrote
segarule wrote
Stokes wrote

Yeah, like I said the C-BIOS logo is glitched on hardware similar to the titlescreen (it looks the same in Emulicious). Kega Fusion uses wrong colors for MSX conversions.

Ok. But im worried not by C-BIOS logo and yes by gameplay. In Emulicious the screen is more with black shadow in rooms and player. So if i use my hardware original will show the same inconsistences? BTW i ever use Emulicious to know how will be a game in hardware before of play it. Thanks in advance.
Zombie Near emulicious(MSX2SMS).png (24.96 KB)
Emulicious Image
Zombie Near emulicious(MSX2SMS).png
Zombie Near fusion(MSX2SMS)000.jpg (32.54 KB)
Fusion image
Zombie Near fusion(MSX2SMS)000.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:27 am
Stokes wrote
So, coming back to the MSX2SMS stuff, I now just realized how to use the pause button for the system, thanks to this: https://www.smspower.org/Development/PauseButton
It so might happen that there is going to be a pause feature in the latest C-BIOS.

will be very useful add msx break / stop input to Eggerland Mystery conversion, since is impossible to reset a stage by suicide so the game is largely unplayable in type1 mode
Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:53 am
I was curious, has any thought been given to converting Kralizec Tetris? I ask because I haven't been able to find a single decent version of Tetris on the Master System. I realize there's been some controversy in the past regarding homebrew games but I mention this game because when the creator was approached about a possible Colecovision port he not only approved it, he actually did the conversion himself. I'm sure if approached nicely, he would be more than willing to allow a Sega port.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:47 pm
The King of the Mods wrote
I was curious, has any thought been given to converting Kralizec Tetris? I ask because I haven't been able to find a single decent version of Tetris on the Master System. I realize there's been some controversy in the past regarding homebrew games but I mention this game because when the creator was approached about a possible Colecovision port he not only approved it, he actually did the conversion himself. I'm sure if approached nicely, he would be more than willing to allow a Sega port.

I might think of doing this. But I'ma just be aware that there are some I/O in some of these games that be apart.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:15 am
The King of the Mods wrote
I ask because I haven't been able to find a single decent version of Tetris on the Master System.

I've written a Tetris clone for SG-1000. I'm interested in what it is about Kralizec Tetris that makes it different?
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:19 am
under4mhz wrote
I've written a Tetris clone for SG-1000. I'm interested in what it is about Kralizec Tetris that makes it different?

You'll have to point me to yours. I thought I'd tried them all.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:04 pm
Hello, been a while on here. If it doesn't bother, I converted Corridor Runner onto the SMS / GG.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:53 pm
Hello ,
do you know where to find MSX CBIOS modified by TINY YAROU ?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:59 am
msx45 wrote
Hello ,
do you know where to find MSX CBIOS modified by TINY YAROU ?

Wow, that's cool. Being that it looks this hack is entirely made possible by code, I'm assuming one could bypass the cartridge and eprom and just do it through an Everdrive.
Sega mapper hack for Game Gear Jang Pung II
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:23 pm
The Game Gear (well, SMS-GG running on Handy Gam*Boy, I guess?) release of Jang Pung II uses a different non-Sega memory mapper from the Aladdin Boy version — effectively a subset of the Codemasters mapper. This one can be adapted to the Sega mapper too, e.g. for use on an EverDrive, by changing the hex bytes 32 00 80 to 32 ff ff at ROM offsets 0x2104 and 0x75326, and changing the hex bytes 32 00 40 to 32 fe ff at ROM offset 0x10464. I have also created an IPS patch for this and attached it here (it also fixes the CRC in the SMS header.)

File fingerprint info for the original ROM dump:

256K 'Jang Pung II [SMS-GG] (KR).sms'
Checking for export header with matching CRC... NO
sha256:a685ad4118edd2fe6fb8ccc4bfc0c9ceac2f6affc3b5d93cc29afb2c9604d5ee Jang Pung II [SMS-GG] (KR).sms
sha1:2b3bb8fd76fe706d7e564b372d2d71dfce53cb1b Jang Pung II [SMS-GG] (KR).sms
md5:9b95b6e6609daa8ea413f223f426c8ff Jang Pung II [SMS-GG] (KR).sms
mekacrc:F6B47C90D268957B Jang Pung II [SMS-GG] (KR).sms
crc32:76c5bdfb Jang Pung II [SMS-GG] (KR).sms

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:52 am
Is possible a conversion from Psychic World/Psychic War? I know that have an official port from SMS and Game Gear (that one is more near to original) but I think the cutscenes are better on MSX than SMS or Game Gear
Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:54 pm
Hikaruon86 wrote
Is possible a conversion from Psychic World/Psychic War? I know that have an official port from SMS and Game Gear (that one is more near to original) but I think the cutscenes are better on MSX than SMS or Game Gear

This game runs on MSX2, so it might not be possible to do this game.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:12 am
Does anyone want to part-take in what's going on with Space Invaders? I find nothing wrong inside this thing, but when played, it's just glitching itself.

NEW WAY
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:46 pm
Het guys, I managed to convert Parodius and Gradius 2 thanks to this:

github shuichitakano msx2sms

The only thing not working for me are the directional controls...

Someone smarter can take it from here I guess.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:33 pm
Jingabe wrote

Oh? I'ma take a look at this.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:39 pm
Last edited by Stokes on Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Jingabe wrote

Holy hell. It works, sound is good, and the BIOS loads at the start?! Not to mention that Game Gear SMS compatibility also works and you can pause the game! This is impressive!!!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:03 pm
On an emulator all the controls work fine, but on a Master System I hardware with an Everdrive, the directional controls don't respond...
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:44 pm
Jingabe wrote

Nice! I think that @Revo can fix the controls.
Congratulations and continue with more conversions.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:57 am
I can't express how good these two conversions are. Like, this is MSX2SMS conversions to another level. I love it, keep up the good work.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:30 pm
I can't take the credit, I simply used the tools of that Japanese guy 😉

Also, I tried to convert Salamander and Nemesis 3 the same way but they crash...
Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:58 pm
Jingabe wrote
I can't take the credit, I simply used the tools of that Japanese guy 😉

Also, I tried to convert Salamander and Nemesis 3 the same way but they crash...

You could try Elevador action and F1 spirit? Thanks in advance.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:37 pm
Elevator Action doesn't boot at all, F-1 Spirit starts promisingly enough, alas, it crashes after the menu selections...

It's the mappers that are a bitch!
F-1.zip (120.52 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:37 pm
Hello Jingabe ,
very good for Gradius2 and Parodius

That work great on Chinese everdrive on real Master System

i want to try conversion for Maze of Galious with this method
I don't find 2 files :

bios_patcher
bios_patch.bin

Can you give me this 2 files ?

For F1 spirit have you got some news ?
The Maze of Galious
Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:04 pm
F-1 Spirit remains the same.
The Maze of Galious is good.
Here's the full package with instructions for converting:
MSX2SMS.zip (118.19 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:25 pm
Thank you very much

Two other MSX1 MEGAROMS

KINGS VALLEY 2 and The Fairyland Story
VAL2MSX1.zip (112.81 KB)
FAIRY.zip (93.93 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:14 pm
msx45 wrote
Thank you very much

Two other MSX1 MEGAROMS

KINGS VALLEY 2 and The Fairyland Story

Excellent Friend! Thanks. I have a question for anybody here: This color pattern can be fixed someday? Some colors dont correspond to original.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:43 pm
WARNING!

If you're using a Master System/Mark III with FM board, the directional controls will not work.
You have to disable it/put in PSG mode.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:45 pm
For color pattern there is no software solution

MASTER SYSTEM has 8Ko of RAM

For SALAMANDER it need 16Ko of RAM , so we can forget it
For NEMESIS 3 it need 16Ko of RAM , so we can forget it

EGGERLAND MYSTERY 2 work with 8Ko of RAM , so it can work on SMS
F1 SPIRIT work with 8Ko of RAM , so it can work on SMS

There is a working conversion of F1 SPIRIT , but in 4Mo version
That can't work on chinese EVERDRIVE

Can someone try to convert F1 SPIRIT and EGGERLAND MYSTERY2 for working on chinese EVERDRIVE (1Mo max version) ?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:05 am
For color pattern there is no software solution

It dont could be changed with emulicious? Editing the palette?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:32 am
Yes on emulator you can change palette
On the MEKA emulator, it automatically corrects the palette

On real MASTER SYSTEM you can't do nothing....
Maybe with an electronic RGB amplifier box we can correct the colors
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!