Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MSX to SMS Hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:01 pm
FM version of Traffic Jam.

Revo
Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:08 am

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:11 pm
Here's Make Them Fall and Blockbuster.

Revo
Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:21 am

Revo
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:41 am

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:59 am
Revo wrote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QB7G4cu7MA

Wow! Good one Tiny Yarou. :-)
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
New entry of the MSX Dev' 21 with Raven.

A bit glitchy and no sound but this should be easy to fix ;)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:22 pm
Wow, impressive - Tiny Yarou has made the most authentic sounding ay8910 to sn76489 psg translation I've heard yet. I actually can't tell that it's not an ay8910 :P

best regards,
- dink
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:15 pm
I personally don't hear any difference of sound between Tiny Yarou conversions and the conversions posted here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:43 pm
Last edited by Stokes on Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alright guys. New change of plans, whenever we do these kinds of conversions, we need to credit the developers of new games and companies of old and new games too. And if anybody doesn't give credit, that might tick them off due to stealing.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:46 pm
Revo wrote
I personally don't hear any difference of sound between Tiny Yarou conversions and the conversions posted here.

Difference:
Koreans used a sound technique to translate AY-8910 to SN76489 on the SMS. It sounds distorted though.
Tiny Yarou did what Alex1975Br did, but the noise isn't there. So, the music is right and the noise is now in another channel. Sound isn't distorted at all.
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:22 am

Revo
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:54 pm
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
New game enhanced (by Nestor Sancho and yazioh) with Yokai Yasiki - Ghost House.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:01 pm
Revo wrote
New game enhanced (by Nestor Sancho and yazioh) with Yokai Yasiki - Ghost House.

Hi, Revo.

The license of the patch explicitly disallows hacks and conversions to different platforms:

readme.txt wrote

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. (...)

This license allows reusers to copy and distribute the material in any medium or format in unadapted form only, for noncommercial purposes only, and only so long as attribution is given to the creator.

CC BY-NC-ND includes the following elements:
- BY: Credit must be given to the creator
- NC: Only noncommercial uses of the work are permitted
- ND: No derivatives or adaptations of the work are permitted

Please note that hacks and/or ports to run the patched game on different platforms than MSX (such as ColecoVision, Sega SG-1000 or Sega Master System) are considered derivative and/or adaptations of the work, and therefore are not permitted by this license.

Please remove the post and the download as soon as possible.

Thank you.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:20 pm
I'm sorry, but was not your work an unauthorized derivative of Casio (or whoever developed the original game)?
Not sure how much room you'd have to stand on in what is already a legally gray hobby.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:28 pm
KingMike wrote
I'm sorry, but was not your work an unauthorized derivative of Casio (or whoever developed the original game)?

We haven't distributed any derivative of the CASIO game. Just an IPS patch that you can use if you have an image of the original game.

KingMike wrote
Not sure how much room you'd have to stand on in what is already a legally gray hobby.

Plenty of room, because what we have distributed is entirely our creation: the patch only contains my code and Yazioh's graphics. And the author of the graphics does not want his graphics to be used anywhere else.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:35 pm
theNestruo wrote
KingMike wrote

We haven't distributed any derivative of the CASIO game. Just an IPS patch that you can use if you have an image of the original game.

KingMike wrote

Plenty of room, because what we have distributed is entirely our creation: the patch only contains my code and Yazioh's graphics. And the author of the graphics does not want his graphics to be used anywhere else.

Sorry but I don't understand you. Do you have any copyright?
As I know, you take the rom and hacked it, the same thing as the conversion to SMS.
Different thing is that you don't want to share it.
Is this correct?
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:45 pm
law81 wrote
Sorry but I don't understand you. Do you have any copyright?

The patch has been published with an specific license: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Of course you cannot see it because Revo hasn't given proper attribution (again).

law81 wrote
As I know, you take the rom and hacked it, the same thing as the conversion to SMS.
Different thing is that you don't want to share it.

The difference is that I'm not distributing a hacked ROM but just a patch. There is no copyright infringement because all the contents of the patch have been created by us.
The conversion to SMS they are distributing makes use of that patch. If they want to use something, they must either adhere to its license, or refrain from using it. It's as simple as that.
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:21 pm
I really like you work but you really start to grinds my gears.

I downloaded your rom directly (no ips) and I didn't read the license because I don't give a f. Your hacking a game and then you say to people your the only one who can hack it? Are you the owner of Casio maybe?

This is my last message to you, I was patient first but now I really don't care about you. Have a good life, and if you don't want to see your work hacked, just stop ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:28 pm
Revo wrote
I really like you work but (...) just stop

That is a stupid attitude, isn't it? Asking the creator of things you like to stop creating things... ¯\(°_o)/¯
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:59 pm
... What in the F?
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:01 pm
This is not the argument forum! MRC (The runners of the MSX Resource Center, hamlet) would have to immediately delete these kinds of messages. I don't want any fighting, we all just want MSX games on our Sega systems.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:23 am
What you wait for? Remove the post and download link. The smspower members will fall in sadness because of a patch-garbage?
We can do a patch ourself. We are capable.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:46 am
The NoDerivatives licenses do not permit remixing except for private use (the pre-4.0 licenses do not permit remixing at all, except as allowed by exceptions and limitations to copyright). All the other CC licenses allow remixes, but may impose limitations or conditions on how the remix may be used. For example, if you create a remix with material licensed under a ShareAlike license, you need to make sure that all of the material contributed to the remix is licensed under the same license or one that CC has named as compatible, and you must properly credit all of the sources with the required attribution and license information. Similarly, if you want to use a remix for commercial purposes, you cannot incorporate material released under one of the NonCommercial licenses.
https://creativecommons.org/faq/#what-are-the-international-unported-creative-co...
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:40 am
Boring.

Since I started my ROM Fullset MSX2SMS on youtube, I'm thinking of deleting all the rom I posted in this thread. And of course I'll never waste my time making 541 IPS patch (the actual number of conversions I have).

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:40 am
Revo wrote
Boring.

Since I started my ROM Fullset MSX2SMS on youtube, I'm thinking of deleting all the rom I posted in this thread. And of course I'll never waste my time making 541 IPS patch (the actual number of conversions I have).

REVO! What's going on with you today? Don't you have any confidence inside you that can actually accomplish this?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:59 am
I mean, we could be lawfully in trouble because of copying other people's creations they have achieved. Like, what happened if that ever happened to one of us? Even you, you said the FBI came and scanned your own computer. How did it feel when it happened to you?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm
Revo wrote
Boring.

@Revo You are doing a great work. The fact that people not mention it dont mean that not is excellent. If you believe about what is doing, so you need continue with it.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:24 pm
let's try to respect other people's work anyway

the ND means you can't modify the patch, if you do it would be distribution of a derivate work and clearly something not compatible with the license.

but anyone *can* create a patch that works on top of the previous patch, as that doesn't involve any distribution of any derivate work.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:41 pm
Hey @theNestruo could you share this to another systems? It is great is compatible to similar systems before I discovered the SMS in the begining of the internet age and never heard of systems like MSX, ZX Spectrum, nor SG1000, Colecovision systems powered by Z80 processor, the fact these days there are committed people struggling to make new game projects to be compatible among many systems at the same time is incredible.

More than a SMS fan I'm fascinated with new game projects, patches related to systems powered by the Z80 since because of this another systems projects can get to more people, isn't fascinating? projects for systems with uncompatible architecture are not that fascinating, these days something similar is happening with game consoles and personal computers based on x86 making things easier to the industry today, so could you reconsider sharing your work with another systems now and for future projects.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:37 pm
Stokes wrote
I mean, we could be lawfully in trouble because of copying other people's creations they have achieved. Like, what happened if that ever happened to one of us? Even you, you said the FBI came and scanned your own computer. How did it feel when it happened to you?

I don't get what you want me to accomplish? That's funny that you think we can have problems with copyrights about games that nobody care anymore, don't worry, we'll never have any problems. On 541 conversions, we had only Nestruo complain. Now I'll send him my personal info, like that he will be able to make a real report to authority if he want to waste his time.

FBI? Ah ah no, just regular cops who stole most of my shit because I pissed them off a lot (not related to any hack/work on computers).

This is my last answer about this, my next message will be a post about MSX2SMS (video or new conversions). And soon (when my rom fullset MSX2SMS v1.2 will be out) I'll delete all rom I posted in this thread, to save space, and because all of them will have update. This have nothing to do with Nestruo, I want to do that since March.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:24 am
Nemesis. I got the logo and half of the title working with the XELA BIOS.

Revo
Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:27 am

Alex1975Br made update for almost all his conversions!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:25 pm
Hi, I need to collab with anyone for a MegaROM game I'm about to do. And that is Freedom Fighter. I'm doing most of the game now.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:00 pm
(besides those cc-related issues mentioned above, seeing a total lack of enthusiasm from theNestruo about the SMS retro scene, compared to his enthusiasm about MSX retro scene, shocked, saddened and confused me as well - this surprised me a lot, as when i try to do something for MSX1, i also try to convert and compile them to SG-1000 and ColecoVision as well - probably theNestruo heard and noticed that from my experiences, like what i submitted to MSXdev contests, like Libreway and CMJN (yep, these ones you find here at smspower, in the homebrew part...), and some more stuff - from my part, i'd be more than happy seeing stuff i made to msx ported/converted to other hardware (specially stuff that i created from scratch, but i'm not disregarding patches or anything else ), say Sord-M5, Casio PV-2000, etc. (even TI99/4a, who knows? :D ), it's quite curious seeing that theNestruo doesn't see this that way as well, at least until now...)
Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 am
(even TI99/4a, who knows? :D ), it's quite curious seeing that theNestruo doesn't see this that way as well, at least until now...)

Would be possible a TI99/4atoSMS?
Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:44 am
nitrofurano wrote
seeing a total lack of enthusiasm from theNestruo about the SMS retro scene, compared to his enthusiasm about MSX retro scene, shocked, saddened and confused me as well

Sorry, but I don't get your point. I'm enthusiastic about a system I owned (and still own), used (and still use), and know a lot about. And I'm not enthusiastic about systems I've never owned, played, or even seen in real life...

nitrofurano wrote
when i try to do something for MSX1, i also try to convert and compile them to SG-1000 and ColecoVision as well

My knowledge about those systems is quite limited. Learning about them will reduce the (already scarce) time I can dedicate to the MSX, reducing the number of games/patches I can work on, and just for... running them in a different emulator? Sorry, but I don't see the point.

nitrofurano wrote
i'd be more than happy seeing stuff i made to msx ported/converted to other hardware (specially stuff that i created from scratch, but i'm not disregarding patches or anything else )

Sorry, but I find no reason to be happy when people ignore the licenses of any work (be it mine, or from everyone else).
That behaviour annoys developers, annoyed developers end up quitting, everybody (including me) stops getting new games from the previously happy developer.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:23 pm
People have been shitting on licenses since the beginning of time, it would have been wise to have made provisions (possible exception clause when ported to other systems?) for this so as to let it not bother you when .it. happens to maintain your sanity.

..if you can't wrap your mind around that, at least be happy he didn't graffitti over your name, which a lot of hacks love to do.

lastly, if you can't be happy - go find something meaningful to be sad about.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:03 am
segarule wrote
(even TI99/4a, who knows? :D ), it's quite curious seeing that theNestruo doesn't see this that way as well, at least until now...)

I really don't know. I mean, the TI-99 code uses the TMS9900 chip, and the SMS along with it's other kinds of systems use the Z80.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:19 am
Last edited by nitrofurano on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Stokes wrote
segarule wrote

I really don't know. I mean, the TI-99 code uses the TMS9900 chip, and the SMS along with it's other kinds of systems use the Z80.

in that case i meant whole assembly being totally converted, a bit like King's Valley and Atic Atac converted to Commodore 64, or Pentagram converted to Atari 5200, etc. - i think that whatever attempt might provide quite interesting results - but of course, this process is way more toilsome than converting from msx1 or gamegear to master system, since it implies disassembling the code, converting the code to a different cpu architecture and hardware specifications and assembling back again...
Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:27 am
theNestruo wrote
... I'm not enthusiastic about systems I've never owned, played, or even seen in real life... ...

perhaps i'm too curious experimenting them... ;D - i never saw Casio PV-1000, Bandai RX78, Sam Coupé, Amstrad GX4000, etc., in front of me, and i made experiences for them - even over 100 different arcade machines, that some of them i never played on the original hardware, but i was curious about how these machines work... - my fault is that i mostly tried some elementary experiences like reading the joystick and moving stuff around, i really need to develop better stuff there...
Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:10 am
Are people actually playing these 'factory' conversions?

I really think these make the SMS (and scene) look crappy. Why not pick a good MSX1 game and make a proper port with good graphics, colors and music.

I think it is neat to be able to do these conversions from a technical point. Especially the efforts from Tiny Yarou. But after a few ports the novelty is gone.

But that is just my opinion.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:55 am
Zipper wrote
Are people actually playing these 'factory' conversions?

I really think these make the SMS (and scene) look crappy. Why not pick a good MSX1 game and make a proper port with good graphics, colors and music.

I think it is neat to be able to do these conversions from a technical point. Especially the efforts from Tiny Yarou. But after a few ports the novelty is gone.

But that is just my opinion.

We will try and see if we can find a good game to remake on the SMS or GG. But for now, stick with the SG-1000 video legacy mode, or play any MSX game that will work on the SG-1000 or Mark II.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:05 pm
I am happy you upgrade SG1000 library with MSX ports, thankyou
Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:17 pm
BcnAbel76 wrote
I am happy you upgrade SG1000 library with MSX ports, thankyou

:-)
And you do some cool GG conversions.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:49 pm
My opinion on that:

l do know that, ultimately, making or porting games to old hardware is of very limited practicality nowadays.

But we still do that; why? Not for the practical value, but for the challenge that it entails, the "hack value", like a complex puzzle where one finds ways to make something workable under severe limitations.

No matter if one is making a game from scratch or trying to find ways to make a game work on a similar, but different platform, it requires both patience and skill.

As for the idea porting the MSX games to make full use of the SMS hardware, well, doing so by hacking would be a considerable effort, but some MSX games do have the source code available, which could be used as a way to make enhanced conversions.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:49 pm
The MSX2GG conversions are underappreciated and are better conversions for approximate colors sadly screen mods on market don't display the offscreen area of the Game Gear (emulators do display) so the display for MSX2GG conversions is cropped.

Hey @Stokes where is your repository of conversions, are you still working on MSX2GG conversions?, Besides I'm interested in MSX2SG1000 conversions you made and being on topic the conversions you made of Hyper Rally for Hi-com and Clover don't sound right as the Thunder in one stage sounds like a Bell, thanks.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:00 pm
FeRcHuLeS wrote
The MSX2GG conversions are underappreciated and are better conversions for approximate colors sadly screen mods on market don't display the offscreen area of the Game Gear (emulators do display) so the display for MSX2GG conversions is cropped.

Hey @Stokes where is your repository of conversions, are you still working on MSX2GG conversions?, Besides I'm interested in MSX2SG1000 conversions you made and being on topic the conversions you made of Hyper Rally for Hi-com and Clover don't sound right as the Thunder in one stage sounds like a Bell, thanks.

Yes. I still do conversions, though, I'ma have to see about MSX2SG. Also, my games should still be here.
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm
I may start MSX2GG soon as I bought a Chinese everdrive for GG.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:01 pm
Here's one game I manage to get on the SG-1000, no RAM changes.

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!