Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sound effects ripping?

Reply to topic
Sound effects ripping?
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:14 am
Long story short, I want to rip the sound effects from Master System games that do not have a built in sound test. how do I either one, disable the music so you can hear only the sounds. Or two, find a special tool that I can use to get into the game's coding and extract the raw sound files?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:45 am
Use memory triggers for almost all games: http://www.smspower.org/forums/15256-HelpWelcomedComprehensiveMemoryTriggerList
Ripping sound effects is the same as ripping music.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 am
Hey I know this has been a year and a half but, I've been really off and on about this sound effect thing.

I understand that I have to look in the memory viewer and all, but there's no real tutorial on how to actually use the memory triggers. Could someone help me get started with this?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:30 am
Get the game into a stable state (somewhere where you can rip sounds without interference, eg the title screen or some in game point where you can stop). Save your game.

Open up the memory editor and find the address listed. Start typing numbers in there, you are looking for the one which stops any music - often 80 or ff work, see what's listed. Once you have silence, save again.

Now you want to start typing in the sound effects triggers. The trick is to just try all the numbers, by counting up in hexadecimal. Make a note of which you like (or maybe you want them all). Load your silent save game if you need to reset - if you have a looping sound or you started some music.

Finally, start recording to VGM or WAV and start triggering the ones you want.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 am
I found the way to disable the music, but how and where do I exactly type in the "sound effects triggers"?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:21 am
The same place in the memory editor is used to disable music and trigger sound effects.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:37 am
Great, thanks a lot but there's one other problem I have

What if it's a game that has no safe spots? What if it's a game like Altered Beast where you constantly have to keep moving and attacking the enemies?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:10 am
There is a trainer patch for Altered Beast: http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/AlteredBeast-SMS-Trainer - maybe it can be of use here?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 am
What about when it's paused? Or the title screen, or game over screen, or level intro - do they all proceed on a timer?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 pm
Maxim wrote
What about when it's paused? Or the title screen, or game over screen, or level intro - do they all proceed on a timer?

The title and game over screens are in fact timed, the paused state won't play any sound whatsoever when I put in a trigger.

The trainer sadly doesn't work either, the sounds don't play when at the level select screen. However it does stay on the title screen forever so yeah, that works.

Thanks Hang-On.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:06 am
Necrobump!

I've managed to figure out how to trigger sound effects and all that using the memory trigger list. It's all easy and simple (except for games that cannot allow you to stay on one screen) except for games that don't have the "80" trigger.

Let's use "Spider-Man return of the sinister six" for example. It's music trigger is "3E XX CD 79 6A FB 18 FE, 00-04"

What does this mean? How do I work with these kinds of sound triggers?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 am
The triggers are possible because the games are using variants of the same sound engine, which seems to be an internal Sega library. Games developed in Europe by third party developers tend to use engines which can't be as easily manipulated just by writing to memory. This case looks like it requires code changes, which someone has expressed as the hex representation of the instructions needed.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:13 am
Maxim wrote
The triggers are possible because the games are using variants of the same sound engine, which seems to be an internal Sega library. Games developed in Europe by third party developers tend to use engines which can't be as easily manipulated just by writing to memory. This case looks like it requires code changes, which someone has expressed as the hex representation of the instructions needed.

How exactly do I use this hex code?

I have HxR which is what I've used before, would it work with this?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:23 pm
The hard part is to know where to put it - which is not something I can explain in a few sentences.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!