Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake!

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:57 pm
I'm speechless, looks incredible. I could not have imagined it to look this good. Every screenshot is poster worthy. Wow!
Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:07 pm
Hey, what a different kind of feedback this trailer is receiving, when compared to the new Ghostbusters movie trailer! ;)

Honestly, there's absolutely nothing slightly negative to talk about here, it looks absolutely flawless, honest, fun, and... that artwork, my god ain't that artwork amazing.

Really looking forward to this, I'm totally positive I need a physical PC copy of this. And, judging by what we've already seen, the layout and packaging is gonna be incredible too.

Good luck and congratulations for this piece of art in the making!
Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:25 pm
Looks great! Looking forward to it. Hopefully a XBOX One, Android or Dreamcast version will be released.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:46 pm
Although I must admit that Dragon's Trap isn't my favourite Wonder Boy/Monster World game (that honor share WB2 and MW4), I'm quite excited to see this happen. It looks absolutely amazing. If it comes to GOG, you can count on my money.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:37 pm
I come to tell you about this game and not only you already know, but are one of the driving forces behind it...
Amazing! Best of luck!
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:34 am
I'm curious about the save mechanism.

The password save meant you couldn't just resume from half-way through a dungeon, which sort of set the game's difficulty, to a degree.

Obviously modern gamers aren't gonna have time for password save, and my desire to have it is driven purely by nostalgia.

I suppose you will make it so that the "password" shop becomes a "save" shop, and you have to go in there to save your game; at least I hope that's how it will work!

:)

So excited, looking forward to more content. Really want to see Wonder Boy himself in the opening lair, the meka dragon, the underground cave, the samurai castle, gah there's too much! I want to see it all!
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:17 am
Well I missed this release of Ys by the same company.
https://youtu.be/LWQpBl8Np6g

Seems like remakes is what DotEmu do. I think it's possible that WB will be on mobile like this game
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:07 am
congrats on this Bock, it looks great, must be a dream come true for you
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:52 am
This is so great, Bock. :) I loved the little animations in the trailer, they were really funny, and they're just indicators of the genuine passion and love I know you guys will be putting into this. So happy for you, because we all know how much you love this game!
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:57 am
gobsmacked!
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:08 am
The trailer was one of the best things I've ever seen, no matter what. The art style looks fantastic! I don't know what else to say! I'm speechless!

I'm not sure it's a good idea to turn it into a mobile game. This game is art, it deserves to be played with a proper controller on a big screen. I think PS4, XBoxOne and Steam would be the the sensible ways to release this game.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:17 am
It will be Consoles/PC.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:42 pm
Bock wrote
It will be Consoles/PC.

Mac?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:01 pm
Don't know yet.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:09 pm
LuckySword wrote
I suppose you will make it so that the "password" shop becomes a "save" shop

I propose the save system should also generate passwords so I can resume my game on the Master System, and vice versa.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:13 am
Bock wrote
It will be Consoles/PC.

I think the people who enjoyed this game almost 30 years ago are all grown up. No longer deal with consoles and use their phone for all their internet needs including gaming. I will not be spending hundreds on any of those, just for just one game.
If this is not a free game you will be missing out on a huge part of the market and alot of revenue.
I am sure the graphics will look great on any size screen, the trailer did on my Android mobile. This is the 21st century and not the time we were still living at home playing as a kid. The more playforms the better.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:00 am
Last edited by LuckySword on Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Maxim wrote
I propose the save system should also generate passwords so I can resume my game on the Master System, and vice versa.

Brilliant idea!

Also, can I just say I absolutely love what you've done with The Room? You know the one. The form-switching room.

It is absolutely amazing, it makes the "Curse" seem like an ancient thing that has existed for centuries, and brave Wonder Boy was destined to carry it; having lizard man holding up the podium is touching - I'm not sure why.

Love it, absolutely love it! I keep finding more things to love in the trailer I think I've watched it 200 times now!
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:01 am
furanku wrote

I think the people who enjoyed this game almost 30 years ago are all grown up. No longer deal with consoles and use their phone for all their internet needs including gaming.

May I respectfully say, you are completely wrong about that. I'm all grown up and have many "retro" and current consoles. Some games are meant to be played with d-pads and buttons for perfect responsiveness. The experience isn't as good on a featureless, smooth, smudgy glass screen with my grown-man thumbs covering up a bunch of the playfield. If this is acceptable to you then more power to you - there's no shortage of half-baked shovelware to keep you occupied. Thank goodness there are still devs who appreciate hardware controls.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:42 am
I'll add that if the game is available on steam, all you need is a computer.
Which everybody has nowadays (and playing at work when one of your clients missed an appointement is priceless ^^)
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:30 am
furanku wrote
I think the people who enjoyed this game almost 30 years ago are all grown up. No longer deal with consoles and use their phone for all their internet needs including gaming.

My wife keeps telling me to grow up, thankfully I never did it sounds so boring ^_^

Even if both the new Wonder Boy related games were released on Android, I would still want to play them on something with a bigger screen and better controls.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:46 am
Bock wrote
It will be Consoles/PC.

Can I ask whether "handhelds" (Vita, [New] 3DS, potential future platforms) are something you would consider to fall under "consoles", or are handheld versions ruled out as a possibility?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:06 pm
Nothing is ruled out, but it is too early to tell. We may not have the resources and energy to port it everywhere. As for iOS/Android, the problem would be whether we can get decent controls on them, which is not something I'm sure about. Odd of furanku who is a WB3 fan to consider wanting to play such game with a virtual stick.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:15 pm
Bock wrote
Odd of furanku who is a WB3 fan to consider wanting to play such game with a virtual stick.

It's not that I want to. I really want to play this.
My old mobile is my only means. It's not important that I have a virtual controller or not. Yes the small screen is sad but what is important that I can play the game. I would have to miss out if that meant that I need to buy a PC or a PlayStation.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:58 pm
Maxim wrote
LuckySword wrote
I suppose you will make it so that the "password" shop becomes a "save" shop

That would indeed be a great feature, even if it's only available via a cheat.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:47 pm
furanku wrote
I think the people who enjoyed this game almost 30 years ago are all grown up. No longer deal with consoles and use their phone for all their internet needs including gaming. I will not be spending hundreds on any of those, just for just one game.
If this is not a free game you will be missing out on a huge part of the market and alot of revenue.
I am sure the graphics will look great on any size screen, the trailer did on my Android mobile. This is the 21st century and not the time we were still living at home playing as a kid. The more playforms the better.

I´m a little bit speechless. I mean, I am grown up, but in my heart I am still a child. That´s why I have all my good old games at home - I play them every year again.

I couldn´t play games just on smartphones (I don´t even have one). I bought the Wii U because it´s one of the best underdogs ever with many great games on it. No hate for consoles please, don´t forget about the attitude of this forum.

I don´t know what you mean with ´if this is not a free game ´, but if you want to say that they should offer the game as a free download, please not. Even now in this early state, the game looks too much brilliant to be free. If you mean that this game has to be released for as many platforms as possible, well, that´s okay. But it´s a question of success, and most people today have a Playstation or PC. So it makes sense to start with these platforms first :)
Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:36 pm
Also featured here:
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-returns.html
Still speechless, this is the biggest software release news in ages.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:44 am
If this game becomes a success, I hope you would consider doing modern remakes of Wonder Boy in Monster Land (which I'm also a huge fan of) and maybe even Wonder Boy in Monster World (MW III) as well.

An idea I've had for a long time is being able to go "back" to the levels you play in Wonder Boy in Monster Land using Lizard-Man, Mouse-Man etc. After all WB3 is a direct continuation of the evens taking place in Wonder Boy in Monster Land. I guess maybe the level design would have to be adjusted for it to be any point going back to those levels using other animal forms. It would be cool if you first had to play through that game as Hu-Man, and once you get the dragon's curse after beating the dragon in the last level of Wonder Boy in Monster Land and start transforming into animals, you are able to go back to the stages in Wonder Boy in Monster Land and discover whole new areas you weren't able to reach before. That way you can claim the levels are the same, you just weren't able to reach all parts of them before turning into for example Hawk-Man.

The extended remake of WB3 (the fan project done some years ago) did exactly that, and is one of the most fun games I've ever played.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:27 pm
Personally I prefer playing my games via a console on my TV. Regardless of whether it's an old game or a new game. I hate using the PC for games, always have.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:55 pm
furanku wrote
Bock wrote
It will be Consoles/PC.

I don't quite know where to disagree with this post first.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:10 am
tommy1983 wrote
If this game becomes a success, I hope you would consider doing modern remakes of Wonder Boy in Monster Land (which I'm also a huge fan of) and maybe even Wonder Boy in Monster World (MW III) as well

The difficulty setting between the two is totally different. Many people have never made it to the end of ML
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:17 am
furanku wrote
The difficulty setting between the two is totally different. Many people have never made it to the end of ML

Absolutely - ML is an order of magnitude harder due to the final castle alone! I've only ever finished it once, and I've attempted many, many times!
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:51 am
LuckySword wrote
Absolutely - ML is an order of magnitude harder due to the final castle alone! I've only ever finished it once, and I've attempted many, many times!

Count me among those who made it to the castle only to get completely lost. I seem to recall there was a similarly inscrutable labyrinth in Monster World IV. Everything else about those games is pretty much perfect but they have labyrinths that can only be navigated with a guide, or by sheer luck. I don't know what the designers were thinking with those parts.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:40 am
Centrale wrote
LuckySword wrote

Count me among those who made it to the castle only to get completely lost. I seem to recall there was a similarly inscrutable labyrinth in Monster World IV. Everything else about those games is pretty much perfect but they have labyrinths that can only be navigated with a guide, or by sheer luck. I don't know what the designers were thinking with those parts.

There is a fortune teller toward the end of the game who (I think you need to have received the letter from a member of the resistance earlier, can't remember) will give you the option of buying a Ruby or a Bell from her.

If you buy the Ruby it makes the dragon easier to slay, but you have to know the labyrinth well enough to solve it on your own.

If you buy the Bell, it rings when you make a correct turn, but the dragon is more difficult to slay.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:04 pm
Insta-buy from me.
PC is main platform nowdays, so it fits me perfectly.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:46 pm
furanku wrote
tommy1983 wrote
If this game becomes a success, I hope you would consider doing modern remakes of Wonder Boy in Monster Land (which I'm also a huge fan of) and maybe even Wonder Boy in Monster World (MW III) as well

I agree the arcade version of Monster Land is very difficult (definitely a coin sucker), but the Master System version is not more difficult than Dragon's Trap (in my opinion). And if you know the route, the labyrinth in the final castle is not that difficult. Of course it was difficult the first time I played it as a kid, but using the bell taught me the path I needed to take, and it didn't take long before I knew the route by heart and were able to pick the ruby instead of the bell so it got easier to beat the dragon. Like someone else here wrote, the labyrinth in the final castle has nothing to do with luck, but has everything to do with memorization. Also there is a lot of strategy in the game. My tactic was to buy fire balls throughout the game any time I had the chance, and save them for the dragon. Using both the ruby and fire balls, the dragon is a piece of cake. So in my opinion, at least the Master System version of Monster Land is not that difficult. I guess it helps having played the game hundreds of times the last 25 years though.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:29 pm
tommy1983 wrote
... the Master System version [of Monster Land] is not more difficult than Dragon's Trap (at my opinion)

I can understand this from the perspective of someone who has completed both games many times, but from the perspective of someone who has never played Monster Land before, it is definitely harder than Dragon's Trap on the Master System.

The final castle is brutal and there is no guarantee that a new player will find the bell or the ruby. Although, I did discover that in the North American version of Monster Land it's actually easier to find the bell or ruby, because you only have to enter the underwater shop twice to meet the Great Catfish. I had to enter the shop 3 times like in the arcade version. By the time I found the Great Catfish I had already worked out the path through the final castle by trial and error (an epic task) and was working on beating the Meka Dragon without the ruby. In the underwater shop I would buy 2 lots of Thunder Flashes to help with beating the Meka Dragon, then one day I accidentally exited instead of buying the 2nd lot of Thunder Flashes. The shop door became destroyed and out of sheer frustration I pressed up on the control pad. To my enormous surprise the door opened and I met the Great Catfish for the first time!! I was finally able to get the ruby and beat the Meka Dragon. I count that moment among the greatest moments I have had in my video gaming history, and it began my obsession with the Wonder Boy/Monster World series.

This remake along with Monster Boy means so much to me, finally some more fuel for my Wonder Boy obsession ^_^
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:34 pm
tommy1983 wrote
...Monster Land is not that difficult. I guess it helps having played the game hundreds of times the last 25 years though.

LOL! Ya think?

I do appreciate everyone's tips on the later parts of the game... I am going to make it a goal to complete Monster Land this summer! (Admittedly with the help of save states along the way...)
Official return of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:58 pm
This is fantastic! Nice break Omar!
Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:41 pm
Will there be any major gameplay differences? And which formats?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:41 pm
Alianger_ wrote
Will there be any major gameplay differences?

I don't know yet!

And which formats?

Consoles/PC
Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:45 pm
Thanks, so stoked for this.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:13 am
I will be spending time doing a sort of back-and-forth interview with Ryuichi Nishizawa in about ten days. If you have any questions either to be asked to him/them or to us, regarding the old game, the new game, the series or anything peripheral to Westone, feel free to ask here!
Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:11 am
Last edited by Tycho on Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:03 pm
Bock - I would like to know the story behind the name "Wonder Boy" - how did they come up with it, and what were the inspirations? Thanks
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:50 pm
The item stats system in Wonder Boy III looks like it was intended to be a lot more complex, were there plans to make it much more RPG like than the final result?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:08 pm
Maxim wrote
The item stats system in Wonder Boy III looks like it was intended to be a lot more complex, were there plans to make it much more RPG like than the final result?

FYI every damage in the game is driven by a function that throws various random numbers in the equation to calculate damage from AP/DP.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:32 am
Sometimes the Dragon Mail will drop from an enemy on your way through the lava stage.

Please tell me what on earth triggers it!
Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:06 am
Which WBiML started development first? The Arcade version or the SMS one?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:10 pm
Tell him thank you for a wonderful game.
How much of a struggle was it to get the difficulty just right?
Was it more difficlut that it had to be turned down or was it too easy and it had to be harder. Also were there ever any changes in hit detection for the main character and enemies?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:17 pm
Hey is this going to be a fidelty port because there is one thing I always hated in Wonderboy 3 is the fact you cant leave the Dragon's Lairs after you've just entered, the only way to leave is to lose or to beat the dragon this is because maybe you forgot to buy something or wanted to get an item before you try to confront the dragons.

How about adding themed signs before you enter the stages for example in the desert "Welcome to the desert be aware of the fireflowers!!" the sign made of old wood or something themed to the desert :)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!