Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake!

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:16 pm
I had an interesting WB3 day today and... well this is as good a topic to tell about it as any.

I've had WB3 since 1992 (± a year). I got stuck back in those pre-internet days (for some reason I couldn't find Captain Dragon) and becoming mostly PC gamer after getting my first computer 1994, I never really got back to it.

Then around 2001 when I got to SMS emulation with MEKA, I just looked up a password to play the end cheating with emulator saving.

I do dig out my SMS once every year, before Christmas (on its anniversary), to play a bit the bunch of games I have. I hardly ever really bothered with WB3, just quickly killed Meka Dragon for nostalgia. But 2 or 3 years ago I gave it a try and to my surprise defeated Captain Dragon and became Lion-Man. I tried few times for the next part, just barely getting to see Daimyo Dragon with last bit life left. That seemed too hard for me so I just gave up, thinking to try it again some other Christmas.

This year I had busy holidays so I'm kind of late of schedule. I thought I'd just do a quick reminder of route to Daimyo castle, didn't bother to get medicines. It went better than I expected, got alive into the castle and then...
An enemy dropped Hades Armor! I'd never seen one and didn't know what it was, but since it gave few points of defense, I put it on. And being in bad shape (with no medicines), I died.
Hades Armor brought me back. So, that's what it does, I thought. And again! I wonder how many times this'll happen...

Long story short, using the Hades Armor gimmick accidentally, I finally beat Daimyo Dragon.

Maybe I'll finish the game next Chrismas.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 am
Kaunisto wrote
Long story short, using the Hades Armor gimmick accidentally, I finally beat Daimyo Dragon.

Maybe I'll finish the game next Chrismas.

How could you stop playing after becoming Hawk Man? Keep going, keep going ^_^
Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:04 am
My physical Wonder Boy 3 Remake Ni****do Switch copy just arrived! I don't actually own a Switch haha but I wanted a physical collectors version of the game to go with my steam copy. Such a great game and cool that Bock was involved!

I'm having trouble getting my hands on a physical Switch copy of Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom here in Australia though as it's only been released in the US. :(

Considering Wonder Boy was more successful in Europe/Asia/Australia than in US due to the failure of the SMS there its a real shame the MB team couldn't get a good international distribution deal like the WB3 team did.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:02 pm
Midly offtopic but this 1992 article found by CRV
https://twitter.com/gdri/status/1104422947991760896
https://twitter.com/Arc_Hound/status/1104783802667274241

GDRI: "From an article on Westone: development titles vs. release titles (Mega Drive Fan January 1992)"
Arc_Hound: "I see the working title for Wonder Boy was Wonder Book. Either, it's a play on "The Jungle Book", or this is an actual confirmation that Book the Hero/ブック少年 from Monster Land is indeed the same guy from the first Wonder Boy."

(Different spelling have been used: Book/Bock/Bocke)
westone 1992.jpg (139.58 KB)
westone 1992.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 am
Last edited by rouken on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nice found, Bock.

Nishizawa-san, in some interviews, tried to explain the name of the series' original hero was always Bocke, but Sega just used other names, specially for the western market.

For example: For the first Wonder Boy, the hero is called just as "Boy" in the flyers of the japanese market, while in the western market he was named as "Wonder Boy" in the arcades flyers, and as "Tom-Tom" in the Master System / Game Gear manuals. It was fixed in the manual of the following game in both languages, but the western version had a nice decision to put "Tom-Tom" as Bock's nickname, and "Wonder Boy" was his hero title.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:42 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp-DRU24J18&feature=youtu.be&t=654
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:35 pm
Now featured on Game Sack's "Good Modern 2D Games":

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:33 pm
I would like to thank Bock and the Lizardcube staff, DotEmu, and Playdigious to make the Dragon's Trap remake available for mobile. I got this game day one (a.k.a. today).

I have both Steam and Nicalis' physical Switch version (even don't having a Switch), but I think I will play the mobile version more than the others because I have my phone in hand all the time, and I can play it in any place I feel I can than to stop in my house to play in my PC.

Again, thanks to everyone involved in the Dragon's Trap remake, and Playdigious for the mobile port.

Google Play / App Store
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:59 am
I just wanted to thank Bock for leaving the debug stuff in the game. It's really interesting to be able to see how the game was built, from the code running in the debugger to seeing all the patches where he modified the game for 60fps and widescreen. It must have been a ton of work getting all of the new visuals layered on top of the original code. I'm sure anyone interested in the original game's internals will appreciate having all the symbols available as well.

If anyone here is interested in neat tech stuff, I would recommend buying the PC version even if you have it on console. It's on sale for $8 until the 29th, definitely worth that IMO.

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!