Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Streets Of Rage II - release date incorrect

Reply to topic
Streets Of Rage II - release date incorrect
Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:24 pm
I believe the release date (1993) in the SMS Power database for Streets Of Rage II is incorrect. Perhaps at some point it was scheduled for a 1993 release, but I have found multiple sources from the time that point to a February 1994 release. And of course this game was not released in the US or Japan.

Sources:
Sega Pro Magazine #29 p14 (CLICK TO VIEW)
Mean Machines Sega #17 p92 (CLICK TO VIEW)
*Official Sega Magazine #2 p89 (CLICK TO VIEW)

*Note that Sega Magazine accidently used the Mega Drive header for this page, but the article text, screenshots and contents page listing all confirm the article actually relates to the Master System version.

I've been looking through a ton of old game magazines and haven't seen any evidence of it being released or available in 1993.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:40 pm
We seeded the export release dates with title screen years, because there is not much to go on. Magazine reviews are much more available now so we can start to narrow things down (although the cover dates are wildly misleading and the reviews would often be of prototypes). Mail order listings can help too, although they still often list "upcoming" games due to lead times between submission and release.

The frustrating thing is that they definitely did have release schedules - we see mention of completed games being held back by Sega/Virgin Mastertronic to suit their chosen schedule, or delayed past the original planned date - but they have never come to light.

I've updated the game page accordingly and linked back to here.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:00 pm
Thanks Maxim, I'll let you guys know if I notice any more that don't match up.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:32 pm
Maxim wrote
The frustrating thing is that they definitely did have release schedules - we see mention of completed games being held back by Sega/Virgin Mastertronic to suit their chosen schedule, or delayed past the original planned date - but they have never come to light.
Have you tried contacting any ex-SEGA employees to see if they still have any of those lists?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!