Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Mega Man 2 - Development Thread

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:25 am
gvx32, it's worth noting that Metal Man's stage is also beatable.

I tested it in my Tectoy Mega Drive II using Mega Everdrive and everything seems to run fine.

I'm not a very acknowledged Megaman player, but AFAIK the physics are intact.

The sound is incredibly good and true to original, Gustavo did a very well done job.

Couldn't test yet the Neo Myth MD because its flash is a bitch to write over. I always need to reflash all the games if I only decide to add or replace just a single rom.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:00 am
Cool, we can walk around now! Controls felt very accurate to me, even though I played the original games very little.

One thing that bothers a little is how the leftmost column switches between visible and hidden depending on the type of scrolling. Can't you just leave it permanently disabled like most SMS games do? Does the original game ever display anything important in there?
Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:53 am
tokumaru wrote
One thing that bothers a little is how the leftmost column switches between visible and hidden depending on the type of scrolling. Can't you just leave it permanently disabled like most SMS games do? Does the original game ever display anything important in there?

Also when running it on real hardware and displaying it on a CRT, the leftmost column will more often than not at least partly be outside the visible screen area.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:07 pm
dplc81 wrote
gvx32, it's worth noting that Metal Man's stage is also beatable.

I tested it in my Tectoy Mega Drive II using Mega Everdrive and everything seems to run fine.

I'm not a very acknowledged Megaman player, but AFAIK the physics are intact.

The sound is incredibly good and true to original, Gustavo did a very well done job.

Couldn't test yet the Neo Myth MD because its flash is a bitch to write over. I always need to reflash all the games if I only decide to add or replace just a single rom.

Thank you. Yes, I noticed that Metalman's stage is also beteable shrotly after I updated the page.

tokumaru wrote
Cool, we can walk around now! Controls felt very accurate to me, even though I played the original games very little.

I don't think that the original have some important thing there. But I will not change it. Alex Kidd in Miracle World does the same thing. I did however find a little distracting during a horizontal transition between two sections that don't scroll, but for then, I'm planning on hide the garbage on screen using sprites, that way, a can make a bar only 4 pixels wide.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:14 pm
I hear that due to the way the game is made, metatiles can be solid or background, so this will make upward scrolling impossible. How will Crash Man's stage and Wood Man's stage be completeable?

Also, if you do ever want upgraded graphics for the game, to show off what the Master System can do, you have a more than willing sprite artist here.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:21 pm
Right now they are. But the next update will include ladders, so, scroll upwards will be possible.

About the graphics, I dont want to think about it right now.
New update after just 4 years
Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:45 am
This one includes:
Ladders, Sound effects and Shooting with two guns: Buster and Metal Blades.

Also, the engine was deeply modified:
Megaman tiles are now loaded on the fly, since the Master System can't handle mirror of sprites, preloading all tiles with mirror copies would fill too much memory. With this change, the time in the vBlank became very strict, so now new columns on the name table are loaded on active screen, for that, the scrolling routines must now lock the visual scroll in a multiple of 8 position whenever it must load a new colum, while still keeping the logical scroll, used for other calculations.

The rom is included with the source code.

https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/MegaMan2-SMS
Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:49 am
gvx32 wrote
This one includes:

Megaman tiles are now loaded on the fly, since the Master System can't handle mirror of sprites, preloading all tiles with mirror copies would fill too much memory. With this change, the time in the vBlank became very strict, so now new columns on the name table are loaded on active screen, for that, the scrolling routines must now lock the visual scroll in a multiple of 8 position whenever it must load a new colum, while still keeping the logical scroll, used for other calculations.

WOW!!!
very nice, thanks !
Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:19 am
gvx32 wrote
This one includes:

What a wonderful surprise!!! I was afraid that this project had been abandoned! I tried it out tonight and was blown away by the great work on display here!! Keep it up, I can't wait to play this on real hardware someday!
Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:13 pm
NewHorizon wrote
gvx32 wrote
This one includes:

What a wonderful surprise!!! I was afraid that this project had been abandoned! I tried it out tonight and was blown away by the great work on display here!! Keep it up, I can't wait to play this on real hardware someday!

Thank you. Next Update coming soon (maybe 2 months or so :D).
Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:16 am
Last edited by rouken on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Rise from your grave!! Welcome back to the action. :)

I hope, in some point in the future when the project being close to be completed, some bonus could be added, including:

1) Various controllers options: Let the game recognize the connected controller.
If a SMS controle is recognized at port 1, a controller connected at port 2 can be used to let the player use the buttons of that controller to pause in the same way of Wonder Boy in Monster Land and Wonder Boy III. Or recognize if a Mega Drive / Genesis controller is at port 1 to make use of the Start Button.

2) Region detect.
If the game is running on a japanese BIOS, the game could change the language and graphics (I would love to see the "Rockman" logo instead of the "Star Wars" style logo at the title screen... Or even try to add some kind of easter egg and put the "Megaman 2" title in Rockman style like in Wily Wars...).

3) Easter Eggs.
Be able to play as Helmet-less Megaman (as in PS1's Rockman Complete Works) and as Roll (as in the japanese cellphone port of Rockman 1) as sprite-swap of the original graphics.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:27 pm
gvx32 thanks for working in such a wonderful project.

It would be awesome to enjoy this game in our favourite consoles.
New Update!
Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:59 am
New Update: All weapons are now avaiable, also, the pause menu is now completely working.

Source code is avaliable. It might seen a small update, but I was really bog down on the routine for generic collision of objects with maps. It was a little different from the megaman routine.

Change from v .033 to .051
Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:00 am
Hi,

I just tried the demo (nice work) on my PAL Mega Drive with everdrive x3. The last version that worked was .033. Starting from .051, I only get a blank screen. Also newer versions I only get a blank screen.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:20 pm
I love this project! I'm so glad it's still being worked on.

The latest 0.55 version loads to a black screen on my Genesis/Mega Drive Everdrive.

In my experience, the older versions would work on a Genesis/Mega Drive, but would load to a black screen on a real Master System.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:48 pm
This is incredible work! I am truly blown away.

Also, thank you for including your source code, it's great reference and is very insightful.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:43 pm
Just curious if things are still progressing? This is a project I've been looking forward to for a long time.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:19 pm
Thank you all for the kind words.

I'm not active in this project right now, but I certainly do not consider it dead. I've been on and off pratically from the beggining, as you can see for how long it's been going.

Right now I'm involved in another Master System project. But it will probably be really boring for most, since it just deals with tecnical, and somewhat obscure aspects of the hardware.

As for the Mega Drive real hardware not working, it's a problem in all Master System hardware iterations. That is the next thing I will tackle. Its really trick, since it works fine on emullicius, and other emulators i've tried.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:25 pm
gvx32 wrote
Thank you all for the kind words.

I'm not active in this project right now, but I certainly do not consider it dead. I've been on and off pratically from the beggining, as you can see for how long it's been going.

Happy to hear it's not dead. This project is one of my favorites. It's wonderful to see Master System versions of classic Ni****do games. Would have been awesome if games could have appeared on both NES and SMS back in the day.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:47 pm
Just Updated the 0.55 version (https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/MegaMan2-SMS). No new funtionalitty, but now it is working on the SMS1 and most likely on the Genesis.

In the SMS2, it was working already. The problem
was related to the management of the extra resolution mode. I'd like to thank Calindro for the help in solving the issue.
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:31 pm
This work looks incredible, I love how the melodies and physics of the game have been achieved, there is still a lot of work to be done, I hope you can achieve it because the release is incredible!
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:26 pm
Nekketsu wrote
I hope you can achieve it because the release is incredible!

Agreed!! My heart skips a beat every time I see an update on this thread! :) Looking forward to the day this is fully playable.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:48 pm
Hoping that this project is still moving forward! :)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:49 pm
NewHorizon wrote

Ehh, honestly...I think this project might as well be considered dead
Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:20 pm
Not quite the same, but there is a brand new snes port if you are interested.

https://www.retrorgb.com/mega-man-ii-ported-to-snes.html
Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:56 pm
Porting from NES to SNES is (comparatively) easier since they use related CPUs (though aside from recreating sound (not compatible), the mapper would probably be the next trickiest thing).

Only easier in that porting the game to a Sega console would require a COMPLETE rewrite.
As opposed to maybe HALF a rewrite (as I suspect official ports like Super Mario All-Stars and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy did).
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:59 pm
Cris1997XX wrote
NewHorizon wrote

Ehh, honestly...I think this project might as well be considered dead

Well, I'll hold onto hope until the author of the port speaks up.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:08 am
Hi.

Since my last project ( https://www.smspower.org/forums/18983-MixingVideoModesMostlyOnMegaDrive#120576 ) my intention was to resume Megaman 2. However, I begun yet another project, wich I will make the topic on this forum soon enough. After that, my intention was to start a sort of
Vlog, detaling a few projects, including Megaman 2, once every week.

However, we have a relative with demencia, and he got a lot worse recently, and this is taking a lot of my otherwise extra time. Also, its becoming harder and harder to focus on anything else, to the point that even my regular job is becoming more dificult. I Hope you guys understand, from all the side projects I ever started, this is the one I kept going the longest by far, and I really like to keep going, but I still have other side projects that Id like to porsue, other things to do on my free time, and sadly, now I have a much bigger responsability competing for my time and my focus.

Thank you.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:31 pm
The Mega Man 2 project on SMS has been one of my most anticipated. Truly hope it sees the light of day.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:36 pm
gvx32 wrote
Hi.

Since my last project ( https://www.smspower.org/forums/18983-MixingVideoModesMostlyOnMegaDrive#120576 ) my intention was to resume Megaman 2. However, I begun yet another project, wich I will make the topic on this forum soon enough. After that, my intention was to start a sort of
Vlog, detaling a few projects, including Megaman 2, once every week.

However, we have a relative with demencia, and he got a lot worse recently, and this is taking a lot of my otherwise extra time. Also, its becoming harder and harder to focus on anything else, to the point that even my regular job is becoming more dificult. I Hope you guys understand, from all the side projects I ever started, this is the one I kept going the longest by far, and I really like to keep going, but I still have other side projects that Id like to porsue, other things to do on my free time, and sadly, now I have a much bigger responsability competing for my time and my focus.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your relative. That's always difficult.

This has been such a great project to watch, so I hope you have time to get back to it, but only do that when you're ready. Family always comes first. All the best!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!