Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Mega Man 2 - Development Thread

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
Mega Man 2 - Development Thread
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:31 am
Finally a new update from Mega Man 2.

Version 3.0
-All maps from the 8 main stages are "navigable".
-Musics from opening, menus and Bubbleman Stage.

If someone is able to test on a real SMS2, please give feedback about the extentded resolution mode, as well about any bugs found.

Rom and source: http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/MegaMan2-SMS
metalman.png (10.25 KB)
metalman.png
crashman.png (6.91 KB)
crashman.png

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:51 am
great!!!!

Which program you used to convert the music from nes to master?
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:12 am
Amazing!. Graphics look spot on, and your music renditions sound really good. Congrats!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:24 pm
EmuBoarding wrote
great!!!!

Which program you used to convert the music from nes to master?

cazonato01 did the musics, he used Mod2PSG2
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:57 pm
May I help in this project? I can made FM music if you guys want!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 pm
Looking fantastic, so far!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:20 am
gvx32 wrote
If someone is able to test on a real SMS2, please give feedback about the extentded resolution mode, as well about any bugs found.

Great job, guys !

I tried the ROM on my SMS 2 PAL (+60 Hz mod) and the extended resolution mode works very well !

I made a video with my crappy old camera :

I didn't notice any bug :D
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:39 pm
Excellent work so far. It looks and sounds fantastic. I hope you persevere and see this through to the end.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:36 am
It doesn't play any sound on my Japanese Mega Drive. :(
Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:06 am
ICEknight wrote
It doesn't play any sound on my Japanese Mega Drive. :(

Hmm, interesting. I believe i'm not using the latest version of PSGLib, perhaps sverx can say if there were any trouble with the japanese egadrive on previous versions.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:43 pm
I suspect this has nothing to do with PSGlib... PSG chip disabled for some reason, maybe?

edit: I would try writing 0 to port $f2, check this.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:08 pm
Looks nice, When do you think it going to be done?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:30 am
@ICEknight: Try the rom attached to this post, I set 0 to $f2, like sverx suggested.

@KnightWarrior: No Idea.
megaman2.zip (68.77 KB)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:55 am
News on this? I suspect the Japanese MegaDrive works as the Japanese Master System but we've got to prove it...
Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:10 pm
sverx wrote
News on this? I suspect the Japanese MegaDrive works as the Japanese Master System but we've got to prove it...

I tested the original v0.3 ROM in my Japanese Master System and the music is working perfectly, not needing the modified ROM at all.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:32 pm
A Japanese Mega Drive will behave similarly to a Japanese Mark III since it has no Master System FM synth.

If you have a SEGA Genesis or PAL Mega Drive with region switch you can try it yourself.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:49 pm
Wesker wrote
I tested the original v0.3 ROM in my Japanese Master System and the music is working perfectly, not needing the modified ROM at all.

Oh :| The plot thickens...
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:36 pm
l_oliveira wrote
A Japanese Mega Drive will behave similarly to a Japanese Mark III since it has no Master System FM synth.

If you have a SEGA Genesis or PAL Mega Drive with region switch you can try it yourself.

I have a PAL Mega Drive with region switch. I tested the original non-modified v0.3 ROM switching it to Japanese region and the music still works fine.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:14 am
Wesker wrote
l_oliveira wrote

I have a PAL Mega Drive with region switch. I tested the original non-modified v0.3 ROM switching it to Japanese region and the music still works fine.

The Japanese Master System has a extra hardware to mute the PSG sound. Mark III does not. So of course it will work fine on a Mark 5 unit (Genesis/MD) just as it would on a Mark 3... Well, I suppose this is a good reason for putting more effort into researching the behavior of the Japanese SMS, huh? ;)
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:16 pm
I actually did what you said and I can only confirm that the unmodified v0.3 ROM works perfectly in both a Japanese Master System and a PAL Mega Drive with region switches set up to Japanese region.

I can't test the ROM in neither a Japanese Mark III nor a Japanese Mega Drive, so we only know what ICEknight said about the game playing no music at all in his Japanese Mega Drive.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:17 pm
Wesker wrote
I actually did what you said and I can only confirm that the unmodified v0.3 ROM works perfectly in both a Japanese Master System and a PAL Mega Drive with region switches set up to Japanese region.

I can't test the ROM in neither a Japanese Mark III nor a Japanese Mega Drive, so we only know what ICEknight said about the game playing no music at all in his Japanese Mega Drive.

I just tested it on my VA6 JP MD1 using a US power base adapter and a 315-5235 mapper based socketed cartridge.

Worked a charm, including sound. I would suggest you not change the value of the TH bit because the way it works right now make it impossible to play using Mega Drive controllers. ;)

Otherwise it ran perfectly. Save the fact that I have to swap the controller for a SMS controller (MD controller is backwards compatible if the TH bit is set correctly).

Edit: Just to add to the discussion, I power cycled the game and then the mega drive pad started to work properly, too. O_O
The pad problem might be a bug not a mistake...
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:15 pm
Last edited by gvx32 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Did you use the modified version of the Rom, or the original one?

As for de genesis pad, I change the TH value because the game is suposed to work with the extras buttons of the Gensis pad, one of the first things the game does is to test if a Genesis pad is plugged. When you booted the game on the first time, the Genesis pad was already plugged? Because, if you plug a genesis pad after the test, than the buggy behavior is expected. I problably should restore the value of the TH pin even if no Genesis pad is detected, that way, if a Genesis pad is plugged after the test, it will work as a regular master system pad.

Another question, what is the initial state of port F2 on the diferent versions of the Hardware?
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:21 pm
gvx32 wrote

I used the rom at the project page on this site. I presume that's the original ROM, right?

gvx32 wrote
As for de genesis pad, I change the TH value because the game is suposed to work with the extras buttons of the Gensis pad, one of the first things the game does is to test if a Genesis pad is plugged. But now, what is the initial state of port F2 on the diferent versions of the Hardware?

I'm not sure how the controller port behaves on a Japanese MD. I suppose it changes to mimic the behavior of a MKIII or JP SMS unit.

I'll test with a non Japanese MD too, to see what happens.

I presume it likely changes the behavior when the MD is on export mode so lightguns can work correctly with it.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:26 pm
l_oliveira wrote
gvx32 wrote

I used the rom at the project page on this site. I presume that's the original ROM, right?

gvx32 wrote
As for de genesis pad, I change the TH value because the game is suposed to work with the extras buttons of the Gensis pad, one of the first things the game does is to test if a Genesis pad is plugged. But now, what is the initial state of port F2 on the diferent versions of the Hardware?

I'm not sure how the controller port behaves on a Japanese MD. I suppose it changes to mimic the behavior of a MKIII or JP SMS unit.

I'll test with a non Japanese MD too, to see what happens.

I presume it likely changes the behavior when the MD is on export mode so lightguns can work correctly with it.

You were faster than me, I just edited my post, and yes the rom atached to the page is the original one.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:31 pm
I guess at least the audio problems aren't related to TH line...
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:35 pm
From what I understand, MKIII has limited capabilities on the TH pin and that's the reason why it can't play lightgun games.

If I had a MK3 I could have that checked in better detail. I don't have a Japanese SMS so I can't check that either.

I can check a Japanese MD1 but sure thing it's not a good idea assume that all Japanese units will behave like a Japanese MD1 because it looks obvious that the MD is actually made with compatibility in mind. So it may bend the rules to achieve a wider compatibility range as the SMS/MK3 games were already done production wide, changing the spec to increase compatibility isn't a bad idea at all.

But it causes this silly situation where you can't use a MD in MK3 mode as reference as you risk making things that would only work on a MD.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:42 pm
I tested the pad again, indeed, if the pad is disconnected on power on, the problem happens.

Not a bug then.

And if it makes you happy, I tested a six button pad too and it worked properly as 3 buttons pad. (that's the intended behavior, right?)

Worked the same in JP or Export mode. Good work sir.

I suggest you make sure the TH line is in the opposite state than it is now if there's no MD pad detected on power on as that prevents this confusion. It's as you said I powered it on without the pad and didn't notice it.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:33 pm
l_oliveira wrote
From what I understand, MKIII has limited capabilities on the TH pin and that's the reason why it can't play lightgun games.

Actually the Mark III doesn't even have the TH signal present on its controller ports. The pin that's normally used for TH is actually connected to ground, which is also why Genesis/MD controllers act up when used on a Mark III. The SG-1000 and SC-3000 have the same issue as well.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:53 pm
What would the Control Scheme be? The Controller has only 2 Buttons

If your going to the route of doing the Pause Button as Selecting your Weapons

Make it compatible with the Genesis Controller with Selecting your Weapons with the A Button
Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:04 pm
KnightWarrior wrote
What would the Control Scheme be? The Controller has only 2 Buttons

If your going to the route of doing the Pause Button as Selecting your Weapons

Make it compatible with the Genesis Controller with Selecting your Weapons with the A Button

I think tapping twice up for next weapon and tapping twice down for previous weapon would be the best for master system controllers. I hope this is possible.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:08 pm
FeRcHuLeS wrote

I think tapping twice up for next weapon and tapping twice down for previous weapon would be the best for master system controllers. I hope this is possible.

That would be incredibly annoying if you're going up or down ladders though.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:55 pm
There's probably not a combination that wouldn't be annoying, but perhaps holding Up and pressing Jump? (or maybe Down, since sliding wasn't introduced until MM3 it wouldn't create confusion)

I could only get that idea from a Famicom side-scroller that had to do that for switching from multiple characters since the original FC 2P controller was also limited to a D-pad and 2 buttons.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:26 pm
What is wrong about forcing a Genesis/Mega Drive pad and using that start button?
Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:55 pm
badsector wrote
What is wrong about forcing a Genesis/Mega Drive pad and using that start button?

I will not force a genesis pas, but, when detected, the start button will be used to access the menu. As for using a combination on a master system pad, I'm thinking in allow a option to up or down + one of the buttons, this combination however, wouldn't work if megaman is on a ladder. And about change weapons on the fly, this might be allowed with a 6 button pad, but so far i'm not even reading the XYZM buttons, and I don't know how that would work, because I will only load the tiles of the selected weapon on Vram, and I will do the same to the Megaman tiles, so this may be too much to do in a single vblank.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:55 pm
I was wondering about that myself. How you will do all that animations and screen stuff with just the alloted vblank time? On the NES, Capcom used CHR ROM on most Megaman/Rockman games and even the ones using CHR RAM could use the cartridge mapper CHR ROM banking to swap graphics away without do access through the video chip memory access port ...
Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:03 pm
l_oliveira wrote
I was wondering about that myself. How you will do all that animations and screen stuff with just the alloted vblank time? On the NES, Capcom used CHR ROM on most Megaman/Rockman games and even the ones using CHR RAM could use the cartridge mapper CHR ROM banking to swap graphics away without do access through the video chip memory access port ...

Not on megaman 2, all graphics are copied during the vblank just like any master system game. The master system even have the advantage of not need to wait to the vblank to copy stuff to the vdp, it's just have to be slower, but in most cases thas is still faster than copy to a temp buffer and streaming the data on vblank from this temp buffer. I did not use this possibility yet, but perhaps I will use this to reduce the time to draw a frame.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:50 pm
gvx32 wrote

I will not force a genesis pas, but, when detected, the start button will be used to access the menu. As for using a combination on a master system pad, I'm thinking in allow a option to up or down + one of the buttons, this combination however, wouldn't work if megaman is on a ladder. And about change weapons on the fly, this might be allowed with a 6 button pad, but so far i'm not even reading the XYZM buttons, and I don't know how that would work, because I will only load the tiles of the selected weapon on Vram, and I will do the same to the Megaman tiles, so this may be too much to do in a single vblank.

Would probably need to be up+jump, because direction+shoot would cause conflicts with the Metal Blade, which is aimable.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:12 pm
ApolloBoy wrote
FeRcHuLeS wrote

That would be incredibly annoying if you're going up or down ladders though.

Well, you're right then, how about disable weapon switching when megaman is using a ladder?. Tapping twice up or down for next and previous weapon only working when megaman is standing or jumping, the other key combinations would be unnatural, uncomfortable and confuse way to play.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:16 pm
l_oliveira wrote
I was wondering about that myself. How you will do all that animations and screen stuff with just the alloted vblank time?

AFAIK, the Master System has more VRAM bandwidth than the NES.

On the NES, Capcom used CHR ROM on most Megaman/Rockman games

Actually, there are more Mega Man games using CHR-RAM than CHR-ROM: 1, 2, 4 and 6 use CHR-RAM, only 3 and 5 use CHR-ROM.

and even the ones using CHR RAM could use the cartridge mapper CHR ROM banking to swap graphics away without do access through the video chip memory access port ...

I'm pretty sure this is not the case. All of the CHR-RAM games have only 8KB of it, meaning there's no "hidden" memory that can be used to buffer tiles. I'm fairly certain that there's no automatic CHR switching happening in any CHR-RAM Mega Man game, it's just good old manual VRAM updates.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:57 pm
Any progress on this?
Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:54 pm
Capt. 2110 wrote
Any progress on this?

Yes, currently working on metasprites to sprites function. And there are a couple more musics as well. It will take quite a while until next update, and if eventually I give up the project, I will inform the community.
Version 0.32 of Megaman 2
Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:12 pm
Now, all stages have their respective musics, again provided by cazonato01

As for the code, nothing really new on this version, apart from the blinking "READY" text on the beggining of each stage. But the code did improve from the last update however. It's just quite unstable.
MegaMan2-SMS-0.32.zip (971.33 KB)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:36 am
SMS Shinobi does an interesting technique for using magic: it requires the player to press and hold jump--at which point the character turns to face the screen--and then press attack. If these were conveyed and reinforced to the player, it could feel quite natural for entering the weapon select. It's also quite deliberate.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:54 am
^
That sounds like a neat solution to me.

I'm really happy to see some more development on this. All in all, it's pretty cool. :)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:05 pm
SavagePencil wrote
SMS Shinobi does an interesting technique for using magic: it requires the player to press and hold jump--at which point the character turns to face the screen--and then press attack. If these were conveyed and reinforced to the player, it could feel quite natural for entering the weapon select. It's also quite deliberate.

That would be useful, as long as it doesn't interfere with the ability to jump long distances over bottomless pits or spikes (e.g. the underwater part of Wily stage 3). Although, it might make things even more difficult against the Boobeam Trap (Wily stage 4) if you had to hold the jump button for a good 2 seconds to change between the Crash Bomber and items 1 and 3. I'd stick with using the pause switch on the console over trying to fit everything on the SMS Control Pad.

Just one question... Spark Mandrill's theme for Air Man? Aside from that mixup, it's getting better each time! I did hear an off note though at the end of Flash Man's tune right before it loops, Quick Man's bass line is slightly wrong and Bubble Man still doesn't loop at the right spot.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:14 am
New Version:

details:
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/MegaMan2-SMS

This time I wasn't able to test on real hardware, and also, only tested the extended resolution mode, so I'd apreciate some feedback on that regard.

Again, I tried to stay as close as possible to the source, so any noticeable diference on some aspect of the controls, as well any bugs aside the one cited on the homebrew page would be useful information.

Addressing some requested features:
Once i start working with the code for the weapons, I will test some alternatives listed on this thread for switching weapons with the Master System controller.

It will take a while to start working on new graphics, problably only after I finish all aspects of Megaman's control.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:40 pm
Great! Can't wait to test it on my Mega Everdrive and Neo Myth MD! I'll post the results when I got the time.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:02 pm
This is looking amazing, great work!

gvx32 wrote
Once i start working with the code for the weapons, I will test some alternatives listed on this thread for switching weapons with the Master System controller.

My suggestions:
-Up twice: Change to previous weapon on the fly
-Down twice: Change to next weapon on the fly
-Pause button: Weapon Select Screen (as in official games like Psycho Fox).
Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:08 pm
Thank you guys.

@ICEKnight: A while back you raised a an issue about the sound on your Japanese Mega Drive, does this update solved that?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:34 pm
Wow!!! Megaman no bugs in his moves, I tested in Gearoid, MD.emu, Genesis plus gx and works fine on every emulator but GP GX in this emulator megaman is not visible.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!