SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - VGM2XM possible? Paul?

Reply to topic
Martin
VGM2XM possible? Paul?
Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:41 pm
VGM2MID is really cool, I tried it with a few songs, and with my NES soundfont it sounds almost the same (not the noise, though).

I have for a long time made SMS remixes in FT2. I try to make the songs as accurate as possible, even with vibrato and volume-scaling.

When I converted a few songs to mid I saw that the frequensy of the tones are very inexact, and mostly pitched to near tones to sound as good as possible. I didn't know that. So now I have tried emulating this in FT2, by instead of edit each note; just edit a few notes and then pitch to them, and also use pitchbending effects as vibrato (on a high BPM).

Now it sounds almost as the original, really charming. But I want it to sound EXACT as the original, so now I wonder: is a VGM2XM converter possible? It could be cool if it worked by converting the channels with in-built squarewave samples (I have a few good ones)... =)

/Martin Skog

Stefan Lindberg
Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 4:37 am
I think that vgm files with only psg sound will sound ok when converted to xm.
Ther is several YM to XM converters out there and VGM and YM are music from (almost) the same soundchip (squaresound).

Why don't you try any of those ym2xm converters just to get the idea to how vgm could sound when converted to xm.

YMagic32 has a inbuilt YMtoXM function, but i don't remember if it was any good.
http://www.mmedia.is/~oedipus/oed-soft/index.html

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:26 pm
I recall seeing a mid2mod converter sometime ago, maybe you could just convert a vgm to mid and then mod/xm ?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!