SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MEKA needs a MacOSX developer / maintainer

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
MEKA needs a MacOSX developer / maintainer
Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:00 am
The code compiles for MEKA but we need a maintainer to package it and keep it updated! Let us know if that person can be you!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:34 pm
Bock wrote
The code compiles for MEKA but we need a maintainer to package it and keep it updated! Let us know if that person can be you!

That person could be me! I tried to compile it earlier this week, and after a few additions to the Makefile and one bug fix in the code it was up and running. I also played around with making a self contained .app and I think I got it to work as expected, although I only tested it on my machine.

Writing a script to automate the packaging of the app should be fairly simple.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:20 pm
That would be incredible!
Perhaps you can start distributing the patch and package here and we see how it works on people machine?
Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:43 pm
There are lots of quirks I would like to fix but here is the first Mac OS X test version. The build is 64-bit only and built using OS X 10.10. I have no idea if the build works on other versions of OS X, so please leave a comment if it runs on your machine or not.

Known issues:
* Fullscreen is broken. This could be an Allegro issue.
* Sound not 100% in PAL mode. Don't know if this is an issues for other platforms as well.
* Config, screenshots, saves and other mutable files are stored within the app-structure itself. Moving mutable files to i.e. ~/Library/Application Support will require more changes in the meka sources.

I built Allegro 5.0.11 as static libs, patching it with a fix from 5.1 to prevent it from crashing when a controller is plugged in.

I'm thinking of putting my changes to MEKA on github or something similar. I just have to clean it up a bit first, and make it build self contained. At the moment I'm using libfreetype and libpng from the brew distribution.

Please try the build and give some feedback!
MEKA 0.80-alpha 20150202.zip (1.36 MB)
Mac OS X build of MEKA 0.80-alpha 2015-02-02

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:27 am
Excellent. Will try on my Mac when I get back home.
I will move MEKA to github probably shortly.

* Sound in PAL modes is a little broken in the trunk, not fault of the port.

Thanks a lot! I am exciting we can move this forward.
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:20 pm
Hey,
This topic went silent and I never took the time to work any more on this. But now I have! Well, not really, I just took the work I already made and added them to my fork of MEKA on github.

Please take a look and give some feedback if this is a good approach or if you'd prefer doing it in another way.

https://github.com/blind/meka/tree/feature-macosx

Cheers!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:10 am
Thanks for the update. I have moved the discussion to the github
It's just so much more practical to work there and tracking the issue else I just lose track of things.
https://github.com/ocornut/meka/issues/7
Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:11 pm
I recently needed an OS X version of meka myself. So I took blind's version and altered it to get myself a working application bundle. I then sent my first pull request (github username: dajero) upstream. I will probably end up fixing or adding things as I go along.

My question now is, is someone still perhaps privately working on improving Meka's OS X support? It would be a shame to duplicate any efforts that are already underway.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:53 pm
LangeOortjes wrote
My question now is, is someone still perhaps privately working on improving Meka's OS X support? It would be a shame to duplicate any efforts that are already underway.

I've not done any work on Meka recently, but here is a list of thing that I have planned to add. If you want to implement any of them or some other feature, be my guest. :)

* Add icon for application (a high res one would be great, if someone can draw it) . No code needed
* Support for opening .sms and .gg files in Meka by double clicking them.
* Support for dragging .sms and .gg files to Meka window/icon to open them.
* Save config and generated files in "~/Application support/org.smspower.meka" (or something simlilar)

These are the most useful features from my point of view, but maybe in reverse order. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:24 pm
I guess it is an issue that Meka needs a new icon that suits modern operating systems :)
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:39 am
blind_io wrote

* Add icon for application (a high res one would be great, if someone can draw it) . No code needed

I agree. For Maxim: Currently Meka is assigned the default app icon by the operating system, so anything is better and will make Meka more recognizable

blind_io wrote

* Support for opening .sms and .gg files in Meka by double clicking them.
* Support for dragging .sms and .gg files to Meka window/icon to open them.
* Save config and generated files in "~/Application support/org.smspower.meka" (or something simlilar)

I was looking into the latter. I fear that the official API for getting the path to this directory is provided by Foundation framework, which means interfacing with Objective-C. I am still pondering whether to go that route, or just rely on the Application Support folder always being in ~/Library.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:09 pm
LangeOortjes wrote
I was looking into the latter. I fear that the official API for getting the path to this directory is provided by Foundation framework, which means interfacing with Objective-C. I am still pondering whether to go that route, or just rely on the Application Support folder always being in ~/Library.

I don't see any problem with using some Objective-C code, It might even be required by the other changes that I want to make. I did a small test by changing the extension of osxhelper.c to .mm and added some Obj-C code. It works like a charm (with some modifications to the makefile).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:37 pm
No problem as long as the other platforms compile.
I'm really happy with you engaging in the MacOS port.
If we finish fix the sound engine we could have a viable 0.80 there.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:18 pm
Right, I started work today on using different paths for internal (configuration files), and external writable resources (Screenshots, etc.). Interfacing Objective-C from C++ is indeed fairly simple.

(I couldn't finish it today as I had an appointment with a friend to mod a freshly arrived master system)
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:35 pm
On OS X, my code now saves files that change (e.g. meka.cfg) to ~/Library/Application Support/org.smspower.meka.

While making the necessary changes to file.c and platform/macosx/osxhelpers.mm (previously osxhelpers.c), I had a couple of questions. I was wondering what the preferred location was to ask them.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:40 pm
I suggest to move them to the Github.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:09 pm
I've altered the Info.plist file such that it associates gg and sms files with Meka. This required me to pick a UTI's for these ROM-files. I chose org.smspower.meka.sms-rom and org.smspower.meka.gg-rom although the file formats are not owned or specified by the meka developers, or are they?

This leaves the problem of finding a suitable icon for these files. My proposal is to use a graphical rendition of the Master System and Game Gear cartridges, like this one for example. I've attached the file, for future reference, in case the link goes down.

For the highest resolution renditions (OS X icons go to 1024x1024 or actually 512x512@2), I propose to change the "SEGA" logo to MEKA. On lower resolutions this is irrelevant.

I might be able to pull this off in GIMP, to ensure that the source material remains editable and reproducible with open source software. But I am sure there are more GIMP-savvy persons on this planet.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:43 pm
There are better scans out there. A nice photo in a light box would be better, but maybe the OSX design guidelines prefer the flat angle?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:05 pm
I must admit that I'm by no means a graphical designer. I was only planning to use that picture to create a drawn image of a cartridge with all the right dimensions. I definitely did not intend to use that picture as an icon.

The most important aim of my previous post was to get people thinking and hopefully involved in the process.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:20 am
Please try to move those discussion to their own topics. It's pertinent for the MacOS port but better discussed/solved as its own separate issue.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!