Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Anyone know how to defeat final boss in afterburner sms?

Reply to topic
Anyone know how to defeat final boss in afterburner sms?
Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:53 am
Hi guys,

So I got caught in a rut playing afterburner on the SMS for a really long time and I can smoothly reach the end but kiling the boss just never works. Yes I know all the Youtube videos but I have found them not to be very realiable to follow unless you can prove otherwise with a non-youtube video or one that is lesser known. Couldn't find a faq/walkthrough explaining this either. I know there is a method to stride left and right while pressing down and just randomly shooting and dodging the missles for a split second every now and then but this seems to be based on luck and takes an insane amount of trys as well.

Can anyone help with this?
Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:26 am
cybertron2 wrote
Hi guys,

So I got caught in a rut playing afterburner on the SMS for a really long time and I can smoothly reach the end but kiling the boss just never works. Yes I know all the Youtube videos but I have found them not to be very realiable to follow unless you can prove otherwise with a non-youtube video or one that is lesser known. Couldn't find a faq/walkthrough explaining this either. I know there is a method to stride left and right while pressing down and just randomly shooting and dodging the missles for a split second every now and then but this seems to be based on luck and takes an insane amount of trys as well.

Can anyone help with this?

This is a very old post, but... why not? Bump!
I´ve never beat this game on original hardware because of this. I guess collision detection of the enemy missiles with the player's bullets is rather sloppy, so you will eventually miss them and get hit. Thus, I think the last boss battle is just broken and winning is based on luck. After trying it repeatedly several times with save/load on an emulator, I´ve found that if you start the battle already with the fire button pressed, immediately strafe left then quickly fly down/right, you will improve your chances of destroying the left and middle targets just when the battle begins. This way the boss will shoot only a single missile at time and it becomes slightly easier to hit the remaining target.

There is another thing, but it is not very helpful. See the radar at the top right of the screen? Every time the boss bounces upwards, try flying downwards exactly before he crosses the horizon line in the radar, and then do the opposite when he bounces downwards. It requires perfect timing, and by doing this, you will stay alive longer, but hitting the targets will be a problem…

If anyone knows a perfect, repeatable strategy, I would also like to know. ^^
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!