Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Bruce Lee SMS conversion - development thread

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:39 am
I cleaned out some old stuff and found some notes I made when I started working on this game. It was the first game I coded (not counting some crude DOS stuff with character "graphics" I made at school), and my first experience learning assembly language. As such, it turned out pretty well, even if there are countless things I would do differently today.

I’m attaching those notes here for posterity. Maybe some of you can get a chuckle out of it. I sure did.
IMG_1026.jpeg (4.06 MB)
Some sprite and animation frames
IMG_1026.jpeg
IMG_1027.jpeg (3.9 MB)
More animation frames
IMG_1027.jpeg
IMG_1029.jpeg (4.1 MB)
Collision data
IMG_1029.jpeg
IMG_1028.jpeg (4.06 MB)
A crude flowchart of game states
IMG_1028.jpeg

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:38 am
Kagesan wrote
IT. IS. DONE.

Finally, version 1.00 is here. That's the full game at last. Sorry for the big file size, the zip also includes the box art, a label design, and a full multi-language manual now.
Get it here: http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/BruceLee-SMS

What's new in version 1.00?
- Rooms: 20/20
- Boss
- Ending

As usual, please report any bugs or glitches you encounter. I have fixed a couple of small bugs near the end of development, and I hope I haven't created new ones by doing so (as I usually seem to do, unfortunately). On real hardware I once encountered a strange glitch with wrong tiles showing up in the status bar, but I couldn't reproduce it, so I assume it was just my Everdrive acting funny.

Many, many thanks to all you guys around here. Without your help and encouragement I'd never have been able to see this through. After all, this is still my very first program in assembly language ever.

Hey, did you want someone to go over your Assembly code to eek a bit more performance out of it? My experience is with RISC Assembly and C, but I can also go over Z80 code for improved performance.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:56 pm
maxxoccupancy wrote
Hey, did you want someone to go over your Assembly code to eek a bit more performance out of it? My experience is with RISC Assembly and C, but I can also go over Z80 code for improved performance.

Thanks for the offer, but that won’t be necessary. Although I have created this game over eight years ago and I would probably do quite a few things differently now, it performs just fine, so there’s no need for optimization.

Also, you’re probably not aware of the other projects I’ve tackled since, but I can assure you I have acquired a pretty good grasp of z80 assembly while working on them.

No offense, but I’m fairly sure someone with no real z80 experience would not be able to squeeze out any significant extra performance compared to someone who has years of experience with both the processor and the SMS hardware.

Not that the games are in need of that anyway. They run perfectly fine the way they are.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:59 pm
No offense, but I’m fairly sure someone with no real z80 experience would not be able to squeeze out any significant extra performance compared to someone who has years of experience with both the processor and the SMS hardware.

This phrase resume everything that supermaxx and (0 contribution) need learn in forum .
@Maxxoccupancy, se toca, meu irmão.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!