Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sonic the Hedgehog - FM Music Hack

Reply to topic
Sonic the Hedgehog - FM Music Hack
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:51 am
Last edited by Wesker on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sonic the Hedgehog - FM Music Hack
By [Team] Team Valley Bell

Did you ever dream of playing the Master System version of Sonic 1 with FM music?

I did in 2011. And I made this hack to make this dream come true.

Features:
- FM music using the YM2413 chip (PSG music can be toggled at the title screen by pressing the Pause button)
- sound effects are still using the PSG, so they won't interrupt the music
- a sound driver with many changes, including new commands, less per-channel RAM usage and FM support
- an improved sound format that's about 20-30% smaller (all the additional code and music data fits within the 16 KB ROM bank used by the sound driver)
- many easter eggs (i.e. hidden songs)
- a few bug fixes to existing songs

Project History:
- I remade most of the songs from Sonic 1 in 2011 using the OPLL/YM2413 and released VGMs of them on SMS Power!.
- Although I never finished the whole set, I made a few OPLL remakes in 2012 that I never released. (like Green Hill Zone and the Ending Theme)
- In 2013, Kroc disassembled the Sonic 1 SMS ROM, but required help with sound and music. So I decided to make a disassembly of the sound driver.
- The work on this project effectively began on the 20th July 2014 by writing a small tool that would convert the original sound format to a more optimized one.
- By the 23rd July the sound driver had fully working FM support and could read the new format properly.
- The first FM song, Sky Base Act 2, was finished and compiled into the game on the 22nd July.
- The first easter egg was added on the 24th July.

Thanks to:
- Kroc for the Sonic 1 disassembly. I used it to find places where I could inject code to add all the easter eggs.
- MAME Team for the MESS emulator and its debugger.

http://shc.sonicresearch.org/entry/38#

Download link: http://vgm.mdscene.net/misc/Sonic1SMS_FM.sms

Awesome FM music hack by ValleyBell which adds a lot to the game. I truly dreamed about this like the own ValleyBell said. If I'm not mistaken, inserting new FM music into an unsupported FM music game like this is a first in Master System game hacking.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:42 am
Absolutely stunning! I wondered too if this could be done, but I have zero knowledge on music matters. I hope ValleyBell releases the source code to this as I would really like to roll it into the disassembly as part of general enhancement of the game.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:55 am
very very impressive !
I'll make a sms jap/mark III cart with this "hack" for sure.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:05 am
Naiss !
I just finished playing through it, I would have done some music differently. And ending disappointed me in a way, I hoped to hear the orginal tune rather than the unused one haha.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:12 am
This is excellent!

I'll play it through a real YM2413 and make a video out of it soon!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:18 am
Does the new music engine use more or less CPU? Less might mean less slowdown in the game.

I seem to remember the FM chip is somewhat harder to use on real hardware than in an emulator due to I/O clashes and timing requirements, so was it done to allow for that?
SONIC FM
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:38 am
Thank you, awesome! Good work! I wish you could do the same on more new games. Many thanks!
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:59 am
Maybe I'm being suspicious, but since ValleyBell has an account on this forum, why did you post this in his place? Don't you think he might would have preferred to start his own official topic when he felt it was time? Maybe he is ok with this being posted by you but maybe he wanted to wait for whatever reason and I think you did this without his permission. I hope I'm wrong.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:19 am
Tom wrote
Maybe I'm being suspicious, but since ValleyBell has an account on this forum, why did you post this in his place? Don't you think he might would have preferred to start his own official topic when he felt it was time? Maybe he is ok with this being posted by you but maybe he wanted to wait for whatever reason and I think you did this without his permission. I hope I'm wrong.

This is part of the Sonic Hacking Contest 2014 conducted by Sonic Retro, but this has been posted in several places because it's an awesome achievement and ValleyBell doesn't seem to have a problem with that (it's also a public entry for everyone to try). Maybe ValleyBell was planning to post it here after the contest or maybe not, so I felt like posting it here. Of course, I don't mean to "steal" his work (I never said this is mine, hence why I posted the source link), just to spread it in a community which is bound to Master System hacking and where maybe there's people who's not aware of this contest.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 am
There's more slowdown in this version, but only tiny bit more. The FM chip takes its sweet time to do things and will not make correct sound if you don't wait long enough between accesses (70+ cycles D:).
I have not tried on hardware to see if it works right there.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
I never said you wanted to steal it, and I'm aware it's part of the hacking contest (I'm nineko over there), I'm just saying it would have been nice to wait for ValleyBell to post it by his own when he felt it would have been appropriate (maybe with a more complete description given the scope of this forum), but that's just my opinion. I know I wouldn't like if something I did was crossposted in this way, because I like to release things in a certain way. I'll stop here anyway, I don't want to derail this amazing achievement.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:44 pm
Tom wrote
I never said you wanted to steal it, and I'm aware it's part of the hacking contest (I'm nineko over there), I'm just saying it would have been nice to wait for ValleyBell to post it by his own when he felt it would have been appropriate (maybe with a more complete description given the scope of this forum), but that's just my opinion. I know I wouldn't like if something I did was crossposted in this way, because I like to release things in a certain way. I'll stop here anyway, I don't want to derail this amazing achievement.

If he has any problem with this topic and comes to express any possible disagreement to it, I'll apologize and request the topic to be deleted if necessary. I never wanted to hurt ValleyBell's wishes or intentions with this, only to spread the awesome hack he did.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:23 pm
It is fine - it is always fine until somebody comes up and say it isn't (which is unlikely). The meaning and purpose of "His own official topic" sounds very 1998, Tom is over reacting a little. ValleyBell & team work are awesome, thanks for posting that!
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:51 pm
Are there any more FM hacks like this? I'd like to test all of them on real hardware - I'm making a video of my FM Power Base Converter with all known (to me) FM games and it would be nice to test FM hacks at the same time.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:14 pm
Many games have a dual PSG and FM engine, but have to be hacked to enable it. That's the closest thing I know of.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 pm
That hack sounds amazing!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:10 am
WOW, when you end the game with 6 emeralds change the music in the credits
in the end, in the credits, plays the music Marble Zone FM =)

Par codes
end game: 00D23E:12
emeralds: 0D27F:06

after start disable code
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:33 am
I've run this on real hardware - on my FM Power Base Converter prototype on a Genesis Model 1:

http://youtu.be/HXkxkov8Db8?t=11m24s

I haven't yet compared to non-FM gameplay, but it does seem to me like there is a bit more slowdown with the; though the FM soundtrack is well worth it!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:09 am
Shiningstar wrote

Hahahahaha ! That's cool ! I always finish with all emeralds :P
I guess I'll do another playthrough and miss one of the emeralds so I can hear the normal ending tune too. (Not gonna use the PAR codes :P)
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:22 am
Last edited by ValleyBell on Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
I'm not someone who actively advertises his own things, so thanks for creating the topic.
Also, I'm late, but I made a release topic on SSRG. (The actual release was here.)

Thanks for the feedback.

I already planned to release the source code (incl. all songs and tools I used) when I submitted the hack to the SHC.
As said in the post on SSRG, I'll wait until all songs are found.

The new music engine uses a bit more CPU. I used a size-optimized format for notes that I need to decode. Also it has to process 7 FM music channels + 1 PSG SFX channel instead of 4 PSG channels (music/SFX mixed).
Judging by db-electronics video, I need to wait a bit more between the FM writes though. My YMWait_Data macro waits only for 48 cycles itself and I wait about 60 cycles on average.

I think most SMS games that can do FM and PSG can't do both of them simultaneously. (except for the JP SMS BIOS) None of the FM games I know use PSG SFX with FM music.

Shiningstar wrote

Yeah, that's one of the easter eggs.

EDIT 2023-02-03: fixed the links
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:20 am
I'm waiting for registration to be accepted at SSRG, but I wanted to say that I found a bug. The FM registers are not zeroed after reset, so if you do a soft-reset the current tone hangs.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:37 pm
Kroc, I just wrote a good word about you in the staff subforum on SSRG, hopefully this will speed up your approval process.

Also, glad to see that ValleyBell didn't mind to have this topic posted, and I apologise again. I prefer to post about my own things so I can have control of the first post, that's all, I never assumed bad faith :)

Also², I played this a bit the other day, and I have to confirm it's amazing. Maybe I will record a full playthrough if I'm bored enough.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:09 pm
Kroc wrote
I'm waiting for registration to be accepted at SSRG, but I wanted to say that I found a bug. The FM registers are not zeroed after reset, so if you do a soft-reset the current tone hangs.

I've found that many games exhibit this behaviour as I test the FM Power Base Converter...
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:24 pm
Here's a quick recording of just Sonic FM I made to help you out with debugging...

http://youtu.be/Zqj2UpERHcs
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:05 pm
I moved this topic to the Music forum as it's not too development-related.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:15 pm
Is reverse engineering the easter eggs cheating? :)

$0d is an altered boss track played on the final level.

$0f is already covered, under the covers the "good ending SFX" triggers a change in the credits music.

$11 plays if you die on GHZ Act 2. Sounds much like the normal music without the small intro?

$16 plays on the game over screen when you have no continues.

Or am I missing something and those aren't the intended eggs?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:48 pm
I found a minor problem, since the timing is different now, the recorded demos won't work properly anymore. For example, the GHZ1 demo will cause Sonic to die after 70 seconds or so.

Perhaps this is a good excuse to perfect this idea and be able to record new demos :)

Of course FM and non-FM demos will never be interexchangeable, though it would be neat to setup a workflow for that, especially with Kroc's upcoming disassembly and editor(s).
Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 pm
I love this.
And i hate this.

I love this, it sounds awesome, and it is pretty cool from a technical standpoint. I love what you did with the ost and how everything sounds.

I hate this, because i don't have any fm-capable hardware with me atm. :)
I really really want to play this in the real hardware.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:35 pm
It ought to be possible to tweak the demo replayer to play back one input per actual frame, so the slowdown would not affect what happens. More likely we'd want to replace the demos entirely with some that are a bit less boring.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:03 pm
Yeah, I know that there is some additional lag the causes everything go out of sync.
I found it pretty neat that the GHZ1 demo actually looks better with this amount of lag. Because Sonic does lots of things that make sense, like destroying the Invincibility monitor and rolling down the slope.
That also brings up the question how long the demo was intended to be.

btw: The frame rate is so unstable that my BizHawk recording of Sky Base 2 doesn't even work with the current ROM anymore.

Maxim wrote
Is reverse engineering the easter eggs cheating? :)
Yes, it is. :P

You missed track $15, but these are all intended eggs. There is also track $17, but it is not used anywhere.

About the reset bug: It usually calls the StopAllSound routine (wrapper routine is called muteSound in Kroc's disasm) at the beginning of the ROM. But it might fail to detect the FM chip properly after the soft reset. And if that happens, it won't reset the FM chip.
This is definitely something I want to fix though.

Does the BIOS run after a soft reset on a real console? The FM detection is a slightly modified version of this code and relies on the BIOS writing a certain value to $C000.

db-electronics: Thanks for the video. I'm pretty sure I don't wait enough between the FM frequency writes, so I'll add a few delays. (or restructure the code a bit)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 pm
Soft reset is up to the game; Sonic has this in its vblank:

in     a,($dd)         ; 0000DB DB DD
    and    $10             ; 0000DD E6 10
    jp     z,$0000         ; 0000DF CA 00 00

...which is as basic as it gets. You'll need to patch it to at least put the value back in $c000 from where you stashed it.

I hadn't realised $15 was on the list of surprises, I guess the square brackets in your SSRG thread indicate those.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:58 am
So, sixteen hours and two dozens of failed attemps later (man, do I hate Youtube's broken uploader), I finally managed to upload my full playthrough of this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRwpcV9_30

Have fun :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:30 am
[Admin: split discussion of missing PSG on a real system to dev forum: http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14998 ]
Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:48 pm
I can't get past the teleporter after beating last boss. Robotnik goes, Sonic stays. I played three times, one without getting all the chaos emeralds. No matter how many times I try, even dying by the counter and killing the boss again. I'm using a Neo Myth MD to play the hack (with the FM chip!) in a Sega Genesis HD Model.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:05 pm
I finished the game on the japanese sega master system collecting all the emeralds and I didn't encounter this bug
Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:01 pm
Thanks for the output. I will try it in other instances, my Japanese MD for example. Also, I will try running it in my Mega Everdrive, even it not supporting the FM sound as an experience.

EDIT: Tried the original game on my Myth MD and I got the same bug. Tried also running the hack from the Mega Everdrive and this time it succeeded. I can only conclude it is a Neo Myth bug. I'm going to post it at Neo Flash forums.
Wow!
Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:57 am
I watched the Youtube videos of this in action, and I must say that I am completely blown away. The new FM soundtrack is outstanding! When I get an SMS flash cart, this will definitely be going on there!

This is a work of genius, ValleyBell. I'd love to see more of these FM soundtrack hacks from you, if you're willing.

Also, I think there should be a patch made out of this, so it can be put in the Hacks page on the site, and therefore be easy to stumble across. Romhacking.net would be a good place for it also.

I apologize if I'm sounding bossy. I'm just so excited about this that I want the very best for it. I've never seen a hack quite like this, so it's very new and exciting for me.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:11 am
http://vgm.mdscene.net/misc/Sonic1SMS_FM_v101.sms
I added 20-30 cycles of delay between the FM frequency writes (70-80 cycles in total), so that hopefully fixes the missing notes.
(I'll fix the soft reset bug later.)

btw: Making an IPS patch of this ROM should be no problem. I only reassembled the 16 KB bank that contains sound and music. The rest of the game is identical, except for the easter eggs that I added by hex-hacking.

Also: Thanks for the nice feedback :)
Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:06 pm
Cool. Now it works perfect in console without any missing notes indeed.

Sadly I'm not able to check the soft reset bug or test its future fix since the Japanese Master System lacks a reset button.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:06 pm
Just wanted to say thanks for this. It gave me an excuse to play through Sonic 1 again (grabbing all the emeralds of course!), big nostalgia trip.

Much appreciated, Valleybell!
Strange bug...
Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:16 am
I have found a strange bug, but I'm not sure if it's the game or the emulator.

So I loaded up Version 1.01 of this fine hack in my emulator of choice, Kega Fusion, and after the BIOS screen, I got a BIOS error message, which I've taken a screenshot of and attached to this post. The error does not occur if I select "Disable BIOS use" in configuration, and it also does not occur in a recently downloaded beta of MEKA.

Because of the fact that in one emulator it works, and in the other I have to disable the BIOS, I have no idea if it's an emulation or software error. I also do not have a flash cart yet, so I have no idea if this error would occur on an actual system.

Just FYI.
Sonic1SMS_FM_v101000.jpg (14.91 KB)
Kega Fusion Error
Sonic1SMS_FM_v101000.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:16 am
It's quite common for people to forget to update the checksum when producing hacks.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:43 pm
Here it is a checksum fixed version.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:35 am
Thank you, Shion! The fixed version you supplied worked like a charm.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:00 am
Are you going try Sonic 2 on FM?
Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:49 pm
Thanks ValleyBell,

An early Christmas present.
It's the first game I played on my everdrive!
It sounds incredible. Trully amazing!

I'd pay for a fundraiser to get more games fm-ized.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:56 pm
I finally did the last few fixes to the ROM. So here it is: Sonic 1 FM v1.02, now with fixed soft reset
This time you can not only download the ROM, but also an IPS patch.

btw: The JP BIOS has no checksum check, that's the reason I missed it in v1.01.

KnightWarrior wrote
Are you going try Sonic 2 on FM?
Probably not, but who knows ...
I started the work on the actual Sonic 1 FM hack only a few weeks before the hacking contest.
The "arrangements" were done in 2011 though (minus Marble Zone and the hidden songs), so I just had to modify the sound engine and backport the FM versions of the songs.

D wrote
I'd pay for a fundraiser to get more games fm-ized.
I won't prevent you from donating, if you really insist on it. But this won't raise (or lower) the chance of other FM hacks, since this is a pure hobby project.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:16 pm
You know, I usually don't advertise myself, but you might be interested in some Sonic 1 FM source.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:25 pm
I've belatedly added it to the site:

http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/SonicTheHedgehog-SMS-FM-Mod

...so now it shows up on the main Sonic page too. The readme in the source is nice too!
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:01 am
Does it run on real hardware? --

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!