Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear to Master System hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:02 pm
ICEknight wrote
Maxim wrote
Not actually possible.
Aw drats. ;(

Not even doing something in the lines of the SVP?

Well, you could do something similar to the Super Gameboy: the cartridge could contain the complete Game Gear hardware, and then the console would simply keep sending joypad inputs to the cartridge hardware, and copy the current GG frame buffer to the VDP. It would be kinda insane to do things this way, though. :P

Still, it would be a quite interesting hardware hack.

Another possibility would be to do what RetroBit does, though it would be sort of cheating; you could just as well make a PS4 hardware emulator for Sega Genesis. Just try to picture the size of the cartridge! :P

It would be just like those portabilizing hardware hacks, except instead of making portable consoles from desktop ones, one would be turning them into cartridges.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:31 pm
haroldoop wrote
Well, you could do something similar to the Super Gameboy: the cartridge could contain the complete Game Gear hardware, and then the console would simply keep sending joypad inputs to the cartridge hardware, and copy the current GG frame buffer to the VDP. It would be kinda insane to do things this way, though. :P
Hmm... How about excluding the hardware parts that the MD/SMS already share with the GG? (after all, both the GG and the MD are SMS compatible). Wouldn't something like that be feasable?

I mean, as crazy as it would be...
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:53 pm
ICEknight wrote
haroldoop wrote
Hmm... How about excluding the hardware parts that the MD/SMS already share with the GG? (after all, both the GG and the MD are SMS compatible). Wouldn't something like that be feasable?

I mean, as crazy as it would be...

Well, if there was a way for the cartridge circuitry to intercept the I/O operations of Sega Genesis' Z80, change those values if necessary, and then cram back the changed values to the bus, then maybe it would be possible to make it translate palettes on the fly, but they would still use the SMS palette. A similar techinique would be to have the cartridge intercept when the Z80 CPU tries to fetch any output instruction, and replace it with another instruction, on the fly, as some debuggers do; even if this was feasible, it could really slow down the I/O. Please note that I'm not entirely sure if either of those options are actually feasible on real hardware. If they were, it would then be possible to make an GG -> SMS adaptor.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:07 am
From what I hear you'd pretty much have to create another 32X.
(as Gear Gear had a larger palette you'd have to bypass it by making a device to output its own video)

A 32x or a clone (like this Genesis adapter for SNES, which I hear is just a modern Genesis/MD emulator chip stuff in a SNES cart, using the host system only for power and controls). Unfortunately I don't think Sega 8-bit had reached the same level of demand for the Chinese to mass clone it like Genesis, NES, SNES and 2600. While I understand the CPU is pretty standard, something like VDP would require developing a clone chip?
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:28 am
So I guess that it wouldn't be technically possible to do something similar to what the SVP in Virtua Racing does, to make the additional hardware required for the new video mode stay inside the cartridge, while acting as if it was integrated into the system? =\
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:31 am
KingMike wrote
(as Gear Gear had a larger palette you'd have to bypass it by making a device to output its own video)

A 32x or a clone (like this Genesis adapter for SNES, which I hear is just a modern Genesis/MD emulator chip stuff in a SNES cart, using the host system only for power and controls). Unfortunately I don't think Sega 8-bit had reached the same level of demand for the Chinese to mass clone it like Genesis, NES, SNES and 2600. While I understand the CPU is pretty standard, something like VDP would require developing a clone chip?

Yes; since the cartridge port has no video passthrough of any kind, and the Genesis can't display the full GG 4096 color palette, one would have to choose either a reduced palette, or an external video output. In order to get a proper VDP, one would have either to sacrifice a broken GG, or create some clone via a FPGA. Another possible (if pointless) alternative would be to jam some tiny computer (or some emulator console like, say, the Dingoo) on the cartridge, and then run a software GG emulator on that.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:37 am
ICEknight wrote
So I guess that it wouldn't be technically possible to do something similar to what the SVP in Virtua Racing does, to make the additional hardware required for the new video mode stay inside the cartridge, while acting as if it was integrated into the system? =\

The main problem is that the Sega Genesis cannot reproduce GG's 4096 color palette; it only has 512 available. So, even if one figures out a way to use the full Genesis palette, there would still be some color loss. As KingMike indirectly cited, that's the reason why the 32x has its own video cable.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:47 am
Ah ok, so it would be absolutely impossible without a new video output. Ouch.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:32 am
In software, you could in theory support mode 5 in software and otherwise play in compatibility mode, but that would be a monumental amount of work.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:08 am
Is there anyone willing to help removing the flickering in the Battletoads GG2SMS conversion? I have been trying to figure it out with Meka but no luck, can't really see what's supposedly causing it.

The only easy way to remove it is playing it on 50hz, but unlike Battlemaniacs for the Master System, this is not intended to play on 50hz, it's a Game Gear game after all and it makes everything go slower than it should, including the music.

I don't mind the non-widened borders (though expanding them would help a lot to see what's ahead) as much as this flickering which manages to be tiresome for the eyes.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:32 pm
vingazole wrote
FeRcHuLeS wrote
@vingazole do you mind making GG Shinobi patch for Game Gear? since you had the sprites to appear (like Shinobi II - Silent Fury is now patchless) please :)

This patch should let the sprites appear on the extended screen and move the lifebar to the top left corner (i can't test by myself).

I've tested It works great just like master system port, do you think I could use Cheat Engine to make hacks that let sprites to appear? In that case, which values and what address range to use? then how to convert to .IPS format?
The games I want to make are: Aerial Assault, Outrun and X-men, X-men Gamemaster's Legacy.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:58 pm
KingMike wrote

Chilli Willy told once (2013) he would try a GG emulator for 32X. Hope he only have not concluded this purely by lack of time rather than hardware/software limitations...!

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26442-Game-Gear-on-32X&p=629605&...
Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:29 pm
Sweet idea for a thread. The SEGA MS could do with a bigger library and this is a cool way to do it.

Coca Cola Kid, Phantasy Star Portable, Streetso 1 & 2, Bart Vs Radioactive Man

I think those are more that need making as the Streets of Rage MS Vs MD Vs GG are totally different as some versions have aspects missing over others so to play the full game you have to play all versions so a GG to MS conversion would be fantastic.

Coca Cola Kid is a GG exclusive, so is the Bart Simpson one and Fantasy Star Portables are different to the big brothers too I guess.

This thread is nowhere near finished with because of the discoverys.

I think wiki might actually be useful for once as at least there is always truth behind it when it says a game is different from an alt version.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:18 pm
TEOL wrote
Phantasy Star Portable

Clearly you mean another game, since that's a PSP game!

I suppose you mean Phantasy Star Gaiden? Phantasy Star Adventure was already converted by Revo although there's no ROM dump and it's sold as a repro.

TEOL wrote
Streetso 1 & 2

I think those are more that need making as the Streets of Rage MS Vs MD Vs GG are totally different as some versions have aspects missing over others so to play the full game you have to play all versions so a GG to MS conversion would be fantastic.

Probably the better aspect of having the Game Gear versions of both Streets of Rage games on the Master System would be trying to readapt their 2 players link-cable functions into a working 2 players mode on the Master System, especially considering the Master System versions of both games are single player only.

TEOL wrote
Bart Vs Radioactive Man

An unreleased Master System game, similarly to Battletoads, Marko's Magic Football and Spider-man & X-Men which were already converted (though no ROM dump of the latter). Doing a conversion is probably something easier than trying to track down a prototype of the cancelled Master System version (in the case of Battletoads I think it would have been a totally different version though, because of different developer/publisher).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:11 am
I wonder if we can split this thread between useful technical discussion and naive speculation?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:48 am
Easy Maxim, a little commenting on the benefits of having certain requested games converted don't do any harm to anyone.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:00 am
Wesker wrote
Easy Maxim, a little commenting on the benefits of having certain games converted don't do any harm to anyone.

It's fine now, but when we aren't preventive we end up attracting people who speak noise for the sake of speaking and forums become polluted. Long threads are particularly unattractive for most people who don't spend too much time following one specific community, so it's nice to keep them readable, or split them up per topic sometimes.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:31 am
Yep, I know what you mean Bock. That's why I don't usually go on talking or even requesting game conversions like many people do as if this would be a wishlist of sorts and instead try to bring to the thread by testing the games on the hardware to spot on issues or even attempting to fix some games ir possibe (like the Battletoads flickering).

The thread is already full of this "speculating" though, for example I see all that "Super Game Gear" talking more out of place in this thread that briefly pointing out how good would be having the Game Gear Streets of Rage games on the Master System for the sake of a possible working 2 players function.

I'll leave it here. Don't really intend to add pollution to a wonderful topic like this.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:20 pm
I'm requesting a tutorial as far as I know meka and a rom modifier is needed then to create an ips patch just need the original rom and the modified rom.
I want to make hacks for sprites to appear, is there a volunteer to make a proper tutorial? I hope new meka version will do things easier since some rookies want to contribute hacks.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:01 pm
Last edited by vingazole on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
xbox sms emulator
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:43 pm
Well, I made them work perfectly on my pc emulator, but I couldn't on my xbox first model in spite of I tried with two different emulators including meka. Any suggestion? Thanks.
EDIT: Games work but the colors are completely wrong, and it s hard to play in this way.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:39 pm
Is it an incorrect checksum?
Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 pm
daco wrote
Is it an incorrect checksum?

If it was that, then the games wouldn't work on the console itself and they definitely do, so I don't think so. Maybe it's an issue of the Xbox emulators you are using?
Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:47 pm
daco wrote
Well, I made them work perfectly on my pc emulator, but I couldn't on my xbox first model in spite of I tried with two different emulators including meka. Any suggestion? Thanks.
EDIT: Games work but the colors are completely wrong, and it s hard to play in this way.

Which games/hacks are you talking about ?
Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:20 pm
Hi I'm trying sprites to appear, so these are what I know by now
- Where is the label that works the sprites (hpos source, vpos source, source char)
- The opcodes for the instructions from 00 to FF so I can use Hex Editor
- How some instructions work

I'm doing reverse engineering using those games that are in GG & SMS so what does I need to figure out to make sprites to appear?
gg2sms roms
Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:37 pm
vingazole wrote
daco wrote

Which games/hacks are you talking about ?

All of them show different colours and are unplayable.
I guess we can not enjoy these games on the first xbox model.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:31 pm
You need to rename the patched file to have the extension ".sms".
Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 am
Hi I'm trying sprites to appear outside of the center of GG screen, but I can't figure out how to made it, It seems the "jr z/nz", "inc", "dec" "jp" instructions are where the trick is. So could anyone give me some tips, maybe there is a pattern to hide/unhide sprites outside the center of GG screen.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:12 am
It's much more complicated than that. There will be many instructions related to this and it's not the same from game to game.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:53 am
Riddick Bowe Boxing v1

Start on down controller 2 (not always needed in the menu).

Revo
Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:54 pm
The Chessmaster v1

Start on down controller 2.

Revo
Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:49 am
Dunk Kid's WIP v0.1

gg 2 sms games on xbox
Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:32 pm
I made these games work properly on my xbox, but the megaman still shows wrong colors.
Revo
Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:19 pm
It's because Megaman have wrong colors in the first place.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 am
Revo wrote
It's because Megaman have wrong colors in the first place.

So you mean the rom is wrong and there isn t anything I can do to fix it? Thanks.
Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:51 pm
He's saying the developers of the Game Gear port used the wrong colors, compared to Capcom's original NES sprite.

Revo
Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:58 pm
Yes there is also that KingMike.

But I'm not talking about that. The version of Megaman GG2SMS available here is a quick conversion of my master Vingazole to show the problem with the right of the screen. The conversion of color is bad compare to the GG version. The conversion I done is a little bit better as you can see here: http://www.cartmodding-sega8bit.com/megaman/

But the conversion of palette is not working for almost half levels and there is a lighting problem on the level showed by KingMike up here (the red stuff beside are lighting yellow every sec).
I think these 2 problems are probably easy to fix for Vingazole. There is also the life bar to move. The problem with previous scenery showing on the right of the screen is probably impossible to fix :/

Revo
Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 pm
Iron Man X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal WIP v0.1

I can't active the Left Column Blank without making stuff worst.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:58 pm
Thank you guys.
Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:54 pm
I added all of those to the hacks page and tested them on real hardware. All worked except Dunk Kid's: Either it wouldn't load at all, or it would load, but not respond to any controller input.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:16 pm
If there is also a way to do SG-1000 to MS as well, due to them being compatible on the 1 region Mark III in Japan, but not on the 2 region MS in Europe and USA yet, then it would add even more possabilitys of games you guys could convert in this thread, to the MS format.

The Streets of Rage 2 difference on GG to MS is major, they added things to the levels on GameGear like Zomba now has lazer sight vision, which added a lot to the boss fight action, the levels on some stages were also extended.

The MS is the superior on Streets of Rage 1 due to the game being almost the same on both versions, but that version having the Penguin from Batman in there, also it might be the one, the end stage was flipped the right way, like the original MD game, although that could be the GG one, I don't remember.

I just remember the MS of Streetso 1 slightly having the edge over the GG, but GG gets it's payback on Streetso 2 and trumps the MS version on that one.

The final stage though does play differently on the Streetso 1 versions, it's only minor differences though, one end stage is flipped compared to the other, so it's like playing a completely new end stage.

I would still like both GG games on the MS though as they do have a really different experience.

The flipped end stage on 1, the lazer eyes Zomba on 2, they have a different experience over the MS for sure, worth converting to the MS, most definitely, they are definitely not worthless games to convert at all.

Heres more details about these conversions.

http://www.soronline.net/sor1_versions.htm
http://www.soronline.net/sor2_versions.htm
Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:52 am
There was a user here by the name SegaMilestones who had converted a bunch of SG-1000, MSX, Mark III and Othello Multivision rom's to Master System for himself, so it's probably pretty easy, a header change or something?

Haven't seen anything else about it suprisingly?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:30 am
For SG-1000 it's just a header change, but it can be hard if the header space is in use. MSX is harder than GG, probably about as hard as a complete GG conversion (of which there are none).
Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:31 am
He probably used those unlicensed msx ports now that i think about it.

You mean this works on real hardware now?

Revo
Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:07 pm
Wild Snake v1

- No more garbage screen.
- Improvement on Spectrum Holobyte logo screen and Bullet-Proof Software logo screen.

All credit for this version come to Ichigobankai.
WildSnake v1.zip (29.82 KB)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:09 pm
I tested WildSnake v1 and updated the hacks pages.

Have you had time to look at Dunk Kid's? It's still not working for me.
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:01 pm
I just tried Dunk Kid's on my SMS 1. After bios I see the Sega logo of the game during 2sec with wrong colors then the console reset, bios again and then the built-in game start.

I don't know what's the problem...

Shining Force?
Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:28 am
I am actually quite shocked that I have heard no mention of any attempts to convert any of the Shining Force games. Of the entire Game Gear library, those would be the ones I would want to play more than any on the big screen, on an actual Master System.

Is there something about the Shining Force Game Gear games that make them extra hard to convert? Hell, I would literally donate to the cause of anyone willing to attempt such a feat!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:51 pm
As is mentioned a few times in this thread, the games that get converted aren't chosen by virtue of their quality (alone), instead the first requirement is that they are coded in a way that makes them update much of the screen (outside the GG screen). Then the conversion can focus on the buttons and palette. Converting the game engine to handle a larger screen area is much harder. Shining Force has garbage and confusing parts of the opposite side of the screen when it scrolls.

It's probably achievable but requires a lot more effort and technical understanding than some of the simpler hacks seen so far.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:59 am
Ah I see, thanks for that. Even with the partial screen size that a game gear game has on a television, Most modern televisions have a zoom or stretch feature which would expand the picture anyway. It may not be quite the same, but it would help. I think I would still like to play such a title on a home console such as the Master System, even if it meant having a smaller view of the action. Maybe one day... one can hope!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!