Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear to Master System hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:21 pm
Wesker wrote
By the way, RetroRGB, don't forget to add the Galaga 2 patch here.

I thought it was in the same download entry of Galaga '91 but it seems not.

Galaga 2 is up on my site, but not the hacks page. I'll have to let Maxim decide what to do about Galaga 2, since the SMSPower Games page lists Galaga 2 as: "Galaga 2 - see Galaga '91".

The SMSPower hacks page is still very much a work in progress. I posted all the hacks, with a basic description and the title pic, just to get them up there. There's still a lot of tweaking to be done, but I'm in the middle of too many projects and I'm not sure when I'll have time to finish. At the very least, all the patches (including revisions) are on there and all the latest patches are up on my site as well, so nothing's "missing".
Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:28 pm
I see. For some reason, Bust-A-Move is not where it should be alphabetically arranged in the SMSPower Hacks page. It's like it's positioned where it should be as Puzzle Bobble. I suppose it's the same issue.

I just noticed something else with Battletoads. If you play it at 50hz, there's NO flickering on the top of the screen. The flickering only appears if you play it at 60hz. That way the game is more pleasing to the eyes but the bad point of playing it that way (aside from the obvious horizontal bars stretching the screen) is that the music is slowered down, since this game is not programmed to being retimed to 50hz (most Game Gear games aren't).

Funnily enough, it's the opposite problem to the Master System version of Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. If you play that one at 50hz, you get the correct music timing, but if you play it at 60hz, then the music is speeded up because the game is not programmed to being retimed to 60hz.

Also, in Stage 3 Turbo Tunnel the flickering disappears (both at 50hz and 60hz) and the game draws background scenario in the left and right borders of the screen, except for the floor you are moving on. Stage 7 Volkmire's Inferno behaves pretty much the same than this one (no flickering and scenario drawing on both sides of the screen).

Interesting way of working this game has depending on the level.
Revo
Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:09 pm
Shaq Fu WIP v0.1

-problem with menu screen
-only ''Duel'' mode work, not ''Strory" mode.
Shaq Fu WIPv0.1.zip (269.9 KB)

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:37 pm
I just tested it and Story mode does seem to work, but the conversion has some palette corruption problems and the world map in Story mode is severely affected by them, though you can still move Shaq to the different fighting locations. There's also some flickering in the bottom side of the world map, similar to the one in Battletoads.

It seems this game uses the Game Gear "Start" button for some gameplay movements (like doing somersaults), so it's a little cumbersome to play it using two gamepads at the same time, and may also give problems if the "Start" button is reallocated to a combination of buttons in the first gamepad, because I noticed that pressing "Start" + "1" or "2" pauses the game.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:42 am
Sega Game Pack 4in1 (v1)

Start like always. No glitch, only garbage screen when you select a game.

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:08 pm
I tested both. I got the same results as Wesker for Shaq Fu, but the 4-in-1 game seemed to work fine.

Thanks for the additions! Both were added to the patch pages.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:03 pm
Marko's Magic Football WIP v0.1

Start like always. Pretty good for a WIP.

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:17 pm
Works good. This one's pretty impressive because of the big-sized graphics.

Domark was a company that had a notable Master System support, so they were probably planning to release this game at some point.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:50 pm
Last edited by Revo on Fri May 23, 2014 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Probably, but 1994 was already too late for the Master System, it's a shame.

I just finished the conversion of Fray - Shugyou Hen; not sure yet if I'm gonna give the rom public or not. But it's like impossible to found even a picture of the game online, must be a really rare game. I absolutely need a scan of the cover if I want to do the cartmod one day. So if someone have the game, please let me know; we can work this out ;)

edit: got the scan from a french collector.

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:01 pm
Yeah, it was in development for SMS originally.
Segamast0500008.jpg (185.01 KB)
Segamast0500008.jpg

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:11 am
Sorry for the english, I'm using a translator
Well folks beautiful work ... unfortunately I do not know anything about programming ...
Really wanted to participate and help it ...
But I could give an idea of a wonderful game that would be great a conversion?

Ristar! Can anyone convert it? It would be a great achievement ...

And another Sonic triple trouble has a cheat using the start button on game gear ... would not you mend it? to accept that the game with the cheat buttons 1 or 2 of the master system?

thank you
Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:43 am
Now that I already mentioned about the conversion of Ristar.

It really is a great game to be played on the master system ...
Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:18 am
The possibility of converting Ristar was already discussed out. Unfortunately the game doesn't seem that easy to convert because of some VDP issues which cause palette corruption.
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:26 pm
Ristar SMS Release v1

From the readme:

The game works well, and is playable.
There is garbage on the borders of the screen, but it doesn't affect gameplay.

The Game Gear START button is mapped to Button 1 on the Master System, except during gameplay, where it is mapped to the Pause button.
In some instances where both START and Button 1 were mapped to an action, the buttons have been inverted: one such example is the Sound Menu, where once Button 1 paused the music, and START exited the menu.
Now Pause pauses the music, and Button 1 exits the menu.

The patch applies to a ROM image of the European and American version of the Ristar cartridge.

As usual, let me know how it works on real hardware.
There's some screen corruption at the SMS screen borders, but gameplay is unaffected - it's interesting to see that the Ristar engine does not draw only in the Game Gear screen area; so there may be the possibility it could be modified to span the whole screen.

Enjoy.
ristar-sms-v1.zip (7.33 KB)
Ristar SMS Release v1

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:44 pm
nextvolume wrote
As usual, let me know how it works on real hardware.
There's some screen corruption at the SMS screen borders, but gameplay is unaffected - it's interesting to see that the Ristar engine does not draw only in the Game Gear screen area; so there may be the possibility it could be modified to span the whole screen.

Enjoy.

Works fine on real hardware! Thanks!
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:32 pm
Thank you nextvolume. Finally this awesome game has a working Master System version.

I noticed something you haven't pointed out. The patch forces the Japanese version to run no matter of the console/emulator region, right? Since this is a multi-region game which loads either the Japanese or the western version depending on the region. I remember you did something similar with Tail's Adventures, forcing the western version in English language to run no matter of the region. It's good you did this because the Japanese version (Ristar the Shooting Star) has an additional level which is missing in the western version (Ristar), so it's good for those who cannot have ways to have Japanese region in their consoles (in my case I have a Japanese Master System though).

The major issue is that flickering in the lower part of the screen, very similar to the one in Tails Skypatrol which was converted by Revo. Everything else seems to work pretty fine. I'm glad you were finally able to solve the palette corruption problem and I also like the button remapping choices you did.
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:03 pm
This region switching happens because I replaced with NOPs all the instructions reading port $00 that were not controlled related (the others obviously I changed), and the register in which the IN instruction would store the data read from port $00 had bit 6 clear, anyway.
In fact reading port $00 and seeing whether bit 6 is set is how region checking is done on the Game Gear. (bit 6 set = Export, bit 6 clear = Japanese).
Not a problem at all, though, since the Japanese version is the best one, anyway.

A similar thing happens with Tails Adventure, except that the register in which port $00 would be read had bit 6 set, this causes it to be in English.
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:10 pm
Yeah, in both games the best versions are used, English version in Tails Adventures and Japanese version in Ristar. Since there's not a single bit of Japanese text in Ristar the Shooting Star, there's not any language barrier at all, with the only changes besides the additional level being title screen (the Shooting Star subtitle is cut out in the western version) and planet names.

I suppose there could be some Japanese users who wish to have a Master System version of Tails Adventures in Japanese language, but then again, the game would have never been in that language as a retail Master System release anyway.
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:54 pm
I just found a little control issue in Ristar. It only affects the Level Select cheat.

If you enable the Level Select cheat, which is done by inputting the "KUMI" password, pausing the game, holding "up" + "2" and unpausing while still holding the buttons, it turns out that you can advance through area levels in the Level Select but then you can't go in the opposite direction. This is because the original Game Gear Level Select fuctions are "1" = go down an area, "2" = go up an area and "Start" = select an area. Since "1" is now mapped to Game Gear "Start", you can't go down an area because what "1" does is selecting, and therefore you can only go up. "Pause" doesn't do anything.

I don't know if this easy to fix this without affecting the button associations in the rest of the game, but a possible way to overcome this would be replacing "1" by "left"/"down" and "2" by "right"/"up" specifically in the Level Select screen, which is a more natural way of moving through a level selection in the first place (I wonder why it wasn't done like that). Right now, the only thing it can be done to move down through areas is selecting area 20, pausing and doing the Level Select input again, and that way the Level Select will be placed in area 00 for you to go through areas in advancing direction once again.
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:32 pm
Oh, I did not test any cheats. Thank you for letting me know this problem.
I will fix this in the future.
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:08 pm
You are welcome, thank you.

There's another little issue. For some reason, the game automatically pauses at the begininning of the boss area in Round 3 (area 10 in the Level Select) and when you ascend the tube and meet the final boss in Round 6 (area 20 in the Level Select). AFAIK these are the only moments in the game where this auto-pause happens.
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:01 am
Nice one nextvolume, thank you.

Revo
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:05 pm
Junction v1

Not really a interesting game but I done the conversion in less than 10 minutes.

No glitch, start on down controller 2.
Junction v1.zip (35.56 KB)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:58 pm
Well you don't usually see a Konami game on the Master System so I guess it's ok.

It works fine by the way.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:42 pm
Ha! The intro for the Game Gear version of Junction has an amusing guest appearance from the Final Boss of Micronet's earlier Mega Drive game Curse. I'll have to play this now to see if any other Easter eggs are in it.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:33 am
Wesker
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:54 pm
I just found a little control issue in Ristar. It only affects the Level Select cheat.

If you enable the Level Select cheat, which is done by inputting the "KUMI" password, pausing the game, holding "up" + "2" and unpausing while still holding the buttons, it turns out that you can advance through area levels in the Level Select but then you can't go in the opposite direction. This is because the original Game Gear Level Select fuctions are "1" = go down an area, "2" = go up an area and "Start" = select an area. Since "1" is now mapped to Game Gear "Start", you can't go down an area because what "1" does is selecting, and therefore you can only go up. "Pause" doesn't do anything.

I don't know if this easy to fix this without affecting the button associations in the rest of the game, but a possible way to overcome this would be replacing "1" by "left"/"down" and "2" by "right"/"up" specifically in the Level Select screen, which is a more natural way of moving through a level selection in the first place (I wonder why it wasn't done like that). Right now, the only thing it can be done to move down through areas is selecting area 20, pausing and doing the Level Select input again, and that way the Level Select will be placed in area 00 for you to go through areas in advancing direction once again.

I tested the game, at least in "MY" master system worked the PAUSE button to rewind the numbers of phases, In debug mode.
Of course your idea of ​​switching to the directional would be better

Really bosses that you mentioned has an auto pause.

this blue line down the screen disrupts a bit, would be nice also put the life bar and lives over in the corner
Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:03 pm
Shiningstar wrote
I tested the game, at least in "MY" master system worked the PAUSE button to rewind the numbers of phases, In debug mode.

You are right. I just tested it again and indeed the level select goes back through previous levels by pressing the Pause button, same as pressing "1" on the Game Gear. I don't know why that didn't worked when I checked out, probably I was doing something wrong.

So on the Master System you go up a level with "2", go down a level with "Pause" and select level with "1". It's a bit unhandy though.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:23 am
Now, I tried to do the level select in Sonic triple trouble. I could not really this ... will we ever could remap the start button to accept the cheat?

Level Select - Sonic Triple Trouble

Hold UP while turning on the Game Gear. Continue to hold it until Knuckles picks up the third gem, then press START.

I tried to tie it with the pause button but did not work = (
Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:47 pm
The cheat works, but it's hard to do by using the console Pause button. It's easier to achieve if you have a modded console allowing a controller with Pause button or if you use an emulator.

The best solution would certainly be switching the cheat triggering function from "Pause" to "1".
Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:21 pm
And actually ... I tested the emulator with control worked ... but I tried the video game 50 + times .. is impossible, changing the button would be even easier.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:27 pm
Sorry for the somewhat off-topic question, but I recognized that some of the work done here could be helpful elsewhere so hope it's OK.

I was wondering if anyone doing the amazing work here would be willing/able to offer patches (particularly for games like Tempo Jr. or Aspect's titles: Sonic, Coca Cola Kid, etc.) which do the HUD repositioning to suit the Master System's greater resolution, but without any control or palette fixes the Master System needs.

The result would obviously be useless on any reasonable hardware setup, but great for many Game Gear emulators: S8DS for Ni****do DS, SMSAdvance and DrSMS on Game Boy Advance, Genesis Plus GX on Wii/U (and any platform with a RetroArch port, which covers most smartphones, PCs and modern game consoles), eSMS on Windows, the rest that I'm forgetting.

The reason for this is that these emulators all allow unmasking the off-screen area of the Game Gear screen, while otherwise emulating a standard Game Gear, with the full color and GG inputs remaining as normal. While this is a game system that doesn't exist in any practical sense, for a lot of games it offers a fantastic way to experience them with all the benefits of both GG and SMS--except that the HUDs are floating awkwardly a third of the way into the screen.

I understand that this is a niche usage case, so if no one's interested in doing it then that's just fine, but for people with a comfortable setup for playing games in this way, it can be one of the most satisfying ways to play these classics, so I'd be immensely appreciative if it could be improved even further.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:21 pm
For people making the SMS conversions, it should be simple to make what you request. But don't the games still use the GG screen boundaries for sprite entry/exit?
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:50 pm
Some do and others don't. Aspect's Sonic games are particularly notable--presumably because when the engine was first built they were creating SMS and GG games in parallel, sprites aren't culled when they go off-screen, even in the later, GG-only games. Coca Cola Kid is probably built off the same engine, so true there as a side-effect of that.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:50 pm
Sonic Triple Trouble is actually quite playable with the Master System resolution. Too bad that eSMS is such a bad emulator, the controls lag a lot and it looks like I can't play :U
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:56 pm
Oh ho, what type of system are you running it on? (I know it doesn't run too well on newer computers, but I didn't experience control lagging.)
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:01 pm
It's probably the screen recorder software that makes it feel laggy, then. I'm not used to it anymore, since I switched to emulators with built-in AVI dumping capabilities.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:12 pm
Aha! Thanks, that's interesting. I hope it will work better with the D3D versions. I don't know what Windows you're using, but DDraw doesn't work too well on newer ones. (sorry for offtopicness)
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:30 pm
Windows XP, of course. I refuse to upgrade to anything newer than that.
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:20 pm
Vingazole posted his WIP of Megaman on the french forum.

You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7b6a6620nwre6l/Megaman%20%5BGG%202%20SMS%5D.sms

Start map on down controller 2.

Strangely his WIP have more bug than mine (who have a lot too for now), anyway it's will be a hard game to adapt :/

Wait & see...
Megaman [GG 2 SMS].zip (193.88 KB)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:10 am
Excellent ... Shame really have many bugs still Megaman.

Celebrity someone could give me a hand? I wanted to write to the cartridge Sonic Edusoft ... however I do not know it takes so you can work normally in Western bios.

And I managed to make it work normally in bios that are Alex kidd and hang on and safari hunt ....

But the game in the Sonic the hedgehog bios does not load the game ... someone could help me on this? Converting the rom for me?
Here is the Link of the Rom Sonic Edusoft that is working only in bios Alex kidd and hang on .. I'm from Brazil and wanted to play in the master system III Tectoy with Sonic in memory.
I thank anyone who can help me because I do not know to fix it.
http://www.4shared.com/file/DsROeey3ba/Sonic_EDUSOFT_Br.html?
Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:33 pm
Revo wrote
Strangely his WIP have more bug than mine (who have a lot too for now), anyway it's will be a hard game to adapt :/

Yes, I only quickly converted the main palette and applied the usual Joypad #2 / DOWN button stuff ;)

I just intended to show what was the problem with the background outside the Game Gear display window...

@Shiningstar: please ask your question in portuguese, it will be easier to understand for people speaking Latin-based languages (like french, for example :) )
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:59 pm
Please start a new thread instead of derailing this one.
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:19 pm
Aah! Harimanada WIP v0.1

Start like always. Pretty good for a WIP.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:19 am
Wow, so great to see work on these conversions has begun/continued! Some of the graphics/scrolling on games are a bit glitchy, but otherwise great.

One question, how come some games have Start mapped to controller 2, but others use button 1 on controller 1, and map Pause to the SMS pause button?
Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:52 am
Mapping the Game Gear [START] button to controller 2\[DOWN] is the simplest thing to do (you just have to change 1 byte from the original game), while mapping controller 1\[BUTTON 1] asks a little bit of coding.

Concerning the [PAUSE] button, you've got to program the NMI interrupt handler (NMI is triggered by pressing the [PAUSE] button on the Master System).
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:37 pm
And that something that my master didn't teach me yet^^

I'm working right now on a arcade pad full sanwa (based on a Sega Sports Pad) with rapid fire and a start button who can be down player 2 or pause (if the console is modified). Here a picture of the WIP (with the cover of Samurai Spirits):

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:25 pm
I just saw the replies from the past few weeks...I stopped getting forum notifications from this thread!

I added both games, however Mega Man doesn't seem to work on real hardware. I'm excited about that one!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:02 am
RetroRGB wrote
I added both games, however Mega Man doesn't seem to work on real hardware. I'm excited about that one!

It works for me, although the conversion is glitchy and has palette issues.

The one that I can't get working on real hardware is Aah! Harimanada. It keeps flashing on the Sega screen and stays there.
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:28 pm
I forgot to delete the GG ports... I will post a update soon ;)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:34 pm
It's weird, Mega Man works on my Genesis, but not on my SMS. Aah! Harimanada works on both.

Other than the glitches, Mega Man looks really awesome! Can't wait to play through that one!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!