SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - VGM update...

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
VGM update...
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 11:49 am
It's pretty much done. I added in channel muting for FM which is very nice :) the musicians here can now "borrow" things like the drums and bassline from the Japanese BIOS Space Harrier music...

... the only problem is, VGMTool was written only with the PSG in mind. It blindly copies across FM data, but doesn't provide the necessary initialisation data for the start and loop points which it does for PSG. I don't have access to my original source, or my usual compiler (I'll probably download the free Delphi 6 Personal some time), so I've started rewriting it in C (with a nasty console interface). However, it'll take a while to do (and test). So, should I release the plugin now? Or is the danger of someone sending in FM VGMs to ZD (or here) with no/incorrect trimming too great?

And anyone who knows about these things... what should I be looking at to set the FM chip to the correct state? I think I just have to record every register write and output them all at once, but I think that might sound strange...

(Also... Bock/Eric/whoever, this file still isn't linked from the docs page... I had to remember the URL when I wanted to download a copy.)

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Clarification
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 11:52 am
> The plugin's pretty much done. I added in channel muting for FM which is very nice :) the musicians here can now "borrow" things like the drums and bassline from the Japanese BIOS Space Harrier music...

> ... the only problem is, VGMTool was written only with the PSG in mind. It blindly copies across FM data, but doesn't provide the necessary initialisation data for the start and loop points which it does for PSG. I don't have access to my original source, or my usual compiler (I'll probably download the free Delphi 6 Personal some time), so I've started rewriting it in C (with a nasty console interface). However, it'll take a while to do (and test). So, should I release the plugin now? Or is the danger of someone sending in FM VGMs to ZD (or here) with no/incorrect trimming too great?

> And anyone who knows about these things... what should I be looking at to set the FM chip to the correct state? I think I just have to record every register write and output them all at once, but I think that might sound strange...

> (Also... Bock/Eric/whoever, this file still isn't linked from the docs page... I had to remember the URL when I wanted to download a copy.)

> Maxim
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 1:49 pm
> It's pretty much done. I added in channel muting for FM which is very nice :) the musicians here can now "borrow" things like the drums and bassline from the Japanese BIOS Space Harrier music...

Good :)

> ... the only problem is, VGMTool was written only with the PSG in mind. It blindly copies across FM data, but doesn't provide the necessary initialisation data for the start and loop points which it does for PSG. I don't have access to my original source, or my usual compiler (I'll probably download the free Delphi 6 Personal some time), so I've started rewriting it in C (with a nasty console interface). However, it'll take a while to do (and test). So, should I release the plugin now? Or is the danger of someone sending in FM VGMs to ZD (or here) with no/incorrect trimming too great?

I think it's better to wait. We're not in a hurry, and I intend myself to write a VGM Tool.

> And anyone who knows about these things... what should I be looking at to set the FM chip to the correct state? I think I just have to record every register write and output them all at once, but I think that might sound strange...

It isn't enough I *think*. I wouldn't dare saying more (don't have MEKA sources handy) but a bit more may be necessary. Then, if you understand YM2413 it is easy to find out what you should do.

> (Also... Bock/Eric/whoever, this file still isn't linked from the docs page... I had to remember the URL when I wanted to download a copy.)

Sorry, I'll add the link soon.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!