Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Master System & Game Gear service manuals

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:15 am
Always go through 24bpp (or greyscale) when resizing.

The rest of the SMS doc is more parts lists and part price lists, not so interesting but I will OCR it soon.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:17 am
This is so cool! The test procedures contained for the SMS1 are really helpful!

Thanks again to everyone who helped make this a reality :D
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:20 am
I'd be happy to get redrawn schematics as images and files for whatever free (?) software it's drawn in. Also, someone to read the Japanese text.
Game Gear Europe Service manual
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:24 am
Hey Folks,

I've been dormant for a while. The new Job has been keeping me busy.
I was actually in Tewkesbury UK for some special ROV robotics training a few weeks ago.

Anyways,
I was browsing eBay and saw the second copy of the Sega Game Gear Europe Service manual and I bought it without question for $150.

Then I pop in here and see that you guys are already ahead in the game...... for weeks now. Doohhh!!

All good in the end.
At least we didn't let it slip through our fingers. :)
-Gerry
Sega Game Gear Europe service Manual
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:44 am
Hey Guys,

I noticed in the PDF "Gear for Games" posted.....the1st PDF of the GG Europe service manual; on page 21 of that PDF it mentions using the "GG CHECK Cartridge Version 1.5".

I remembered looking at this GG EEPROM cart video by "AssemblerEX" on YouTUbe a couple of years ago.
Link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axWvKighZ50

And he mentions this EPROM on his cart having a sort of TEST ROM.
I'm assuming it's the same ROM file that is mentioned here.

I tried contacting him before about this ROM file, but with no reply unfortunately. :(

I messaged him again this evening seeing if he might be able to download the ROM off of it. I'm guessing this is the TEST ROM mentioned here in the SM.

I even asked if he might sell the EPROM chip or loan it out so we can copy the ROM off of it.

However, I have no Idea if he has an EPROM reader or not.
It would be interesting for us to test it out.

-Gerry
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:02 am
Testing out the tester...... :)

Sorry couldn't help it..

-Gerry
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:21 am
Another thing of note: the mention of the Hong Kong Master System.
GG TEST Cartridge V1.5
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:36 pm
Does anyone know who this "AssemblerEX" guy is on YouTube?

If so, perhaps someone could try and make contact with him and see if he is able to share the ROM image off the EPROM.

That would be really amazing if we could add this TEST ROM to the Wiki.

Any thoughts?

-Gerry
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:51 pm
If it is the same guy known as "Assembler", I don't think so.
He is a well-known huge collector of rare video game hardware and games.
If you were able to get him to let it go, I doubt it would be even remotely cheap.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:44 pm
Maxim wrote
I'd be happy to get redrawn schematics as images and files for whatever free (?) software it's drawn in.

I'm having a go, working in BSch3V.
GG TEST Cartridge V1.5
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 pm
KingMike wrote
If it is the same guy known as "Assembler", I don't think so.
He is a well-known huge collector of rare video game hardware and games.
If you were able to get him to let it go, I doubt it would be even remotely cheap.

True,
however if he is not interest in selling the hardware....I wonder then if he might just download the ROM image himself and share the file with the community.... as it essentially is one of the tools needed for the tests laid out in the GG SM.

Once again,
it would be great to have in the archive.

-Gerry
Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:28 pm
BSch3V is excellent ! I use it too, but with my own IEC and GOST compliant symbols rather than ANSI.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:46 am
I've finished OCRing and wikifying the SMS one:

http://www.smspower.org/Development/SegaMasterSystemServiceManual

There's also an all-in-one 3MB 600dpi 1bpp PDF there (based on the TIFs) for best printing. The PDFs omp made are JPG based and a lot bigger :)

There are OCR errors, especially in the price lists.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 am
Yea sorry about the size, all i can do is select pdf 600dpi and off it goes. I am getting up at 3am in the morning to get to work by 5am to do the sms2 and gg manuals. Got a dental appointment in the arvo but i will do my best to get them uploaded.

I will also write a list of what the printer/scanners can do as there maybe a better option for us. Unfortunately i can't do tiff greyscale.

I am keen to learn how to do these better especially when i get to tge larger manuals (ie sega/mega cd).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:17 pm
I occasionally use a similar sounding machine for scanning, it has an advanced options screen where you can choose a bunch of settings. If nothing else you might hope to get images you can transform without loss to the result you want.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 pm
Brilliant work guys!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:20 pm
Hey guys

Just arrived at work and I have scanned the Game Gear VA1 and Master System 2 manuals. Just as a heads up one of the sheets in the Game Manual is up the shit as it has been photocopied on an angle and some information is missing, it is a parts list sheet. I had to unstaple this one (first I have come across that is stapled) and I thought the info may have been hiding whilst stapled.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:43 am
Sega Master System 2

PDF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcu6vthw7s5f5x7/Sega%20Master%20System%202%201%20of%202%20A4.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atmxf9l9iey5wmt/Sega%20Master%20System%202%202%20of%202%20A3.pdf

Tif

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgcq3m2kg1t4en0/Sega%20Master%20System%202%201%20of%202%20A4.tif

https://www.dropbox.com/s/snpkrl1dr7vyap6/Sega%20Master%20System%202%202%20of%202%20A3.tif

Game Gear VA1

PDF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zurty3r7xm0tg9y/Game%20Gear%20VA1%201%20of%202%20A4.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjezw8h1tnmpxe4/Game%20Gear%20VA1%202%20of%202%20A3.pdf

Tif

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn2hosb5munkq9j/Game%20Gear%20VA1%201%20of%202%20A4.tif

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25ksxjeim95nd31/Game%20Gear%20VA1%202%20of%202%20A3.tif

I think I might leave it doing one set a day lol!

Also don't shoot me on the Game Gear manual page 26 and 28. These pages were copied "cock-eye'd", I was hoping the detail would be under the staples but no go....
Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:26 pm
Last edited by Charles MacDonald on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Was Gear for Games or Gerry going to scan the other page with the schematics from the GG VA0 manual by any chance?

Just curious about some of the VDP connections shown there. The VA1 manual and first VA0 page have been fascinating to study. ;D

EDIT:

I could see enough details from the auction images that I could roughly figure out what was going on. :D

Apparently the VDP has no GG# mode input. Surely it has to be notified when in GG mode since the interface to CRAM is different, as well as the display size.

Of all the "new" signals added to the VDP there are a few that are video related:

CSYNC# - Looks to go directly to the LCD screen
VSYNC# - Unused
HSYNC# - Unused
HBLANK# - To the SCA
VBLANK# - To the SCA
H488 - To the SCA
CPA0-3 - To the SCA
CPB - To the SCA

Probably the two blanking signals do exactly what they say, and I think CPA/CPB are the digital video bus. So perhaps H448 is the SMS/GG mode input?

What's also odd is that in the VA1 schematics, the GG pin is connected to bunch of analog circuitry that controls the backlight brightness, though I can't imagine why. I've switched between SMS and GG mode on a VA1 GG and the backlight was never affected.

It's interesting to see the VDP does have a PAL input, though it's grounded to force NTSC mode. The SCA seems to take the digital video signal, demultiplex it, and output all the data at once over the very wide LCD bus. It also implements port $06's stereo mixing controls as well as the functionality of the I/O chip.

On its own, it seems like the GG VDP could work in a stand-alone system like the SMS as long as some extra hardware was made to convert the digital video to analog. It's not very closely coupled to the LCD screen, and the SCA handles that translation.

The VA1 ASIC is a little more unique, it has four sound inputs (set to around 2.5V and unused) as well as four sound outputs that are unused. I wonder if these are secondary inputs for another sound source? Or perhaps the internal PSG can be disabled and an external one could be routed through these inputs?

The SEC pin is the BIOS enable/disable, and again a PAL mode input exists but is fixed to NTSC. There's also a secondary NMI input (in addition to the start/pause button) It has BUSREQ and BUSACK inputs, though the GG connector doesn't have those pins.

So they designed the VA1 ASIC with some future expansion in mind but never used it. Makes you wonder what they had planned.
Scanning GG Europe Schematics
Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm
My Service Manuals pack is still in transit from Australia.

If need be, I can scan them once they arrive. :)

-Gerry
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 pm
I think we're lacking the VA0 one in "our" set, since Gear for Games fought us for it :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm
Maxim wrote
I think we're lacking the VA0 one in "our" set, since Gear for Games fought us for it :)

Gear for Games version has a watermark so I would suggest hopefully gerry can just redo the full thing without watermark eventually? That would be ideal for archiving.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 pm
Is it me or is the slot cover text on the SMS2 manual's cover in the same font as the prototype/hidden Master System logo?

Edit: On closer examination, it's not the same. But it does look like a prototype design?

Also, notice the mention of a Chinese SMS2.
m404.png (798 B)
The logo in the M404 BIOS
m404.png
Image1.png (44.32 KB)
The cover image
Image1.png

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:14 am
Bock wrote
Maxim wrote

Gear for Games version has a watermark so I would suggest hopefully gerry can just redo the full thing without watermark eventually? That would be ideal for archiving.

Sure thing, if need be I can do that.
-Gerry
Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:41 am
Hey guys i scanned the gg tv adaptor manual yesterday. At the moment my micro-mini-Nana is here from overseas. I have to put it together so maybe sometime early next week.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 am
omp wrote
Hey guys i scanned the gg tv adaptor manual yesterday. At the moment my micro-mini-Nana is here from overseas. I have to put it together so maybe sometime early next week.

Great! I'm looking forward to correcting the TV Tuner article with the data in the manual:

http://www.smspower.org/Development/TVTunerAdaptor

I'm sure there will be tons of blanks to fill in and corrections to make. :D
Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:14 am
The third image in the Schematic section in http://www.smspower.org/Development/SegaMasterSystemServiceManual shows the video output section of circuit. The AV port is labelled as CN1, and includes the pinout numbers (except 8 for some reason). The numbers are incorrect according to the conventional numbering scheme (ie. http://www.smspower.org/Development/AVPort), they are mirrored, like somebody was looking at the plug instead of the socket or something.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:06 pm
Originally I was thinking "what good would the TV Tuner one be" then I thought... what if someone figured a way to make it be a digital tuner like we need in the US to pick up digital TV or HD over air channels?
Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 pm
Tripredacus wrote
Originally I was thinking "what good would the TV Tuner one be" then I thought... what if someone figured a way to make it be a digital tuner like we need in the US to pick up digital TV or HD over air channels?

Probably the easiest thing is to have a device that receives digital broadcasts and output the composite video into the GG A/V input. :D

Otherwise you'd need a lot of extra hardware to input a digital video signal, convert it to RGB, and feed it to the GG LCD, probably more than could fit inside the plastic shell of the tuner.

It's one of those things where you could buy a portable LCD HDTV with digital reception for less than it would cost to make all the new circuitry needed for a custom digital tuner. Plus the GG TV output is fairly poor, though at the time it was impressive.

So not impossible, maybe just not economically justifiable. :)
Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:28 am
Game Gear TV Tuner scans!

PDF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dufrqext4pafxxh/Game%20Gear%20TV%201%20of%202%20A4.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81146qh22vxr4i7/Game%20Gear%20TV%202%20of%202%20A3.pdf

TIF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9abf9anlfx7l5cp/Game%20Gear%20TV%201%20of%202%20A4.tif

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afeix76rq8dw76c/Game%20Gear%20TV%202%20of%202%20A3.tif

I believe that is the 8 bit stuff done!
Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm
Maxim wrote
Also, notice the mention of a Chinese SMS2.

The SMS II was released in Asia and Hong Kong so I wasn't surprised to see that.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:02 pm
Thanks a lot, it's interesting to see the differences between the PAL one in the manual and the NTSC one I looked at.

According to this manual, Citizen made the custom chip that converts analog RGB to the GG LCD video format. They made the LCD screen too, so I guess they were on the display technology side of the GG and Sega did the rest.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:16 pm
You have an NTSC manual?

The sega 16bit manuals have been started to be put on Sega-16 forums.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?23228-Sega-Service-manuals-16bit
Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:56 pm
omp wrote
You have an NTSC manual?

Oops sorry, I meant the NTSC Tuner I took apart and looked at.

The 16-bit manuals look great! Honestly between this thread and the sega-16 thread, it feels like Christmas all over again. :P
Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:49 pm
Extra 16bit manuals put up on Sega-16 (same link).

Bit of a balls up on the 32X service bulletin, I received 2 copies of the same thing and missed it lol!

Will fix up over the weekend.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:01 pm
I'm too excited to speak right now...dreams coming true!

Thank you Bock and everyone so much for making this possible. Let me know what I can do to paypal some $ for the cause.

:D

-Segasonicfan
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:55 pm
I think the cost is covered, but you can always send some appreciation via http://www.smspower.org/Home/Donate .
Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:07 am
Cool. Im surprised the GG Serivce Manual doesnt have a flow chart like the TV tuner for repairs...that was really cool to see and would be great to have for the GG. I wonder if there are any pages missing. I would love it if there was some way to put GG in PAL mode for use with the Everdrive GG, any ideas? Interesting reading Charles MacDonalds observations of it all, and indeed this is fascinating stuff!
Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:41 pm
(Link to Sega-16 is same as before)

Have added the A4 PDF of the Mega/Sega CD service manual, this was a bastard to do as some sheets were single sided while others were double sided (if I hadn't mentioned it already lol!).

I should have the re-done A4 TIF version and the 2 sets of A3 sheets done in the next day or so, I ask patience as my wife and I are going out tonight, so it maybe tomorrow night I get them uploaded.

Notes for the Mega/Sega CD manual.

1/When I got this manual it needed re-arranging as the sheet's were muddled up. I numbered the sheets as best I could in the lower left (apart from the index sheets of course), so I beg your pardon if you aren't a fan. These sheets had no reference to each other it was like it was slapped together as they remembered stuff.

2/I have left the sheets un-numbered for the Japanese "hard check" as these will have to translated, I did however number the hand written in Japanese IC 315-5548 sheets (these will have to be translated as well).

I have had 1 volunteer from Assembler games to translate but he (understandably) can't promise a time frame. If I get other volounteer's I don't mind co-ordinating and having it shared amongst people (I am not sure if that is a good idea or not?).

Cheers Pete
Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:22 pm
Remainder of Mega CD manual uploaded.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:07 am
Mega CD 2 Service Manual, Mega CD 2 Supplement and (what I call as it has no title) Mega CD2 Additional Information added.

These are quite nice manual's, lots of good useful information.

This finishes up all the manual's I have.
SEGA Game Gear EUROPE - Maintennance Manual
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:31 pm
Hey folks,

My scanner died before XMAS so,I've got a guy here at work scanning the SEGA Game Gear EUROPE - Maintennance Manual.

I'll post the Links as soon as I get back home and upload them to my Server.

He said they will be larger files as the Scanner we have here at work is caibrated for Hi Res. 600 DPI I told him is fine. He figured 200MB and 150MB for the two Zipped PDFs. The schematic diagrams are quite large and the regular pages are larger than standard 8 1/2" x 11" pages.

Maxim,
maybe you could take the original scanned files and make a PDF version that isn't so large. I'll email a link for the ZIPPED scan files.

Soon the collection will be complete. :)

Cheers!
-Gerry
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:27 pm
Provided it's not JPEG inside PDF - and the file size suggests it's not - then I can extract the images and process them down nicely. Now all I need is time to work on the rest of them too :)

Any news from anyone on redrawn schematics and/or the bits of Japanese text?
SEGA Game Gear Europe - Maintenance Manual PDFs
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:10 pm
Last edited by Gerry_MAN on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Hey Folks,

Ok so the PDF files my friend from work made are pretty huge.

EDIT:
I sent MAXIM the Scanned Images and he has created a PDF for us to use for now.

Maxim's Version Below:
http://www.smspower.org/Development/GameGearMaintenanceManualEuropeVA0

Cheers!
-Gerry
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
I've processed the GG VA0 images from Gerry_Man to a 5.5MB PDF, linked from here:

http://www.smspower.org/Development/GameGearMaintenanceManualEuropeVA0

I may reorder the pages later, and for now there's no wiki or web version. It's 1bpp internally, but it's clearly a multi-generation photocopy so there's very little detail loss.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:59 pm
SWEEEET!!

Thanks Maxim.
-Gerry
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 pm
Thank you for uploading this manual!

Almost got them all now (that were on ebay), just the Mega Drive and Accessories to go.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 pm
omp wrote
Thank you for uploading this manual!

Almost got them all now (that were on ebay), just the Mega Drive and Accessories to go.

No Problem. :)

Thanks should also go to Maxim.....for the PDF conversion from the original Scans.

Thanks again Maxim.
Cheers!
-Gerry
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:40 pm
I just reduced to 1bpp, cropped to the page and fed them into Irfanview's PDF exporter (and played with the settings to get the smallest result). I think it's the best bet with PDF (basically TIF in a more common wrapper), while low DPI greyscale is better for web images.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 am
Sounds like more fun than I had with the Mega CD manual....

Feed 1 sheet at a time, scan, lift lid, flip (some times) scan.

I had to do this as some sheets were single sided, others were double. Stood there for over half an hour to do the TIF's.

I should have just downloaded irfanview to amend the scans....
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!