SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Road to 15th anniversary, Part 1

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Road to 15th anniversary, Part 1
Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:28 am
Competition and anniversary time approaching!

Been busy here sorting dumps and we've got no less than 7 today including a handful of rarities. Short descriptions today, here's the list of what we have!

Magical Kid Wiz / Mófǎ shī (魔法師) for the SG-1000 released in Taiwan on a beautiful green cartridge. Developed in 1986 by Sony for the MSX, this is among the MSX games that Aaronix ported to the SG-1000 for the Taiwanese market.

Gun.Smoke (건스모크) for the Master System, released in Korea by Prosoft. This is a conversion of the MSX original by Capcom. Find the secret Wanted posters to make the boss appear and progress in the game!

Ys non-interactive rolling Demo for the Master System. This is coming from a US type cartridge yet the text is in Japanese. It was likely created to promote the game at shows events.

C_So! (시소) ported from MSX for the Master System and released in Korea. Not to be mistaken with the legit SG-1000 version of the same game.

Safari Race (サファリレース) for the SG-1000. This is the proper genuine, yet unreleased dump of Safari Race. Previously available dump is a hack (supposedly from Finland) labelled 1988 similarly to the N-Sub 1988 dump.

Super Monaco GP [Proto 1] for the Master System, a new prototype of Super Monaco GP. This is a later build than the previously released prototype which shall now be referred to as [Proto 0] :)

Columns [v1] (JP) for Game Gear, alternate later build of Columns in Japan. If you're curious, some of the jewels shapes and flash block shapes have been changed between all three versions of the games. You can see it on the screenshots.
Magical Kid Wiz.jpg (70.09 KB)
Magical Kid Wiz.jpg

• Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:30 am
This message will auto destruct itself someday.
gun_smoke-sms-kr.zip (18.22 KB)
ys-demo-sms.zip (79.83 KB)
c_so-msx-sms-kr.zip (22.79 KB)
safari_race-sg.zip (18.36 KB)
columns-v1-gg-jp.zip (20.53 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:15 am
cool! especially Magical Kid Wiz!

a small question about the new Columns dump for Game Gear: do you know if it comes from the Meisaku Collection re-release or if it has been found on the regular release too?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:49 pm
I found it on both release but I'm still having a bit of an issue identifying the loose Columns cartridges (they have various difference on the back).
I actually haven't found a [v0] myself but Enri and other people dumped it. I think [v0] may be less common.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:53 pm
NB- the association because Dumps/ and Games-Releases/ is documented in the actual source page for Dumps but I realize this data is quite hidden to most users.
If you have an edit access to the Wiki you can easily see the name and view/edit the page but I don't think the name of the pages appear explicitly anywhere without that.
http://www.smspower.org/Dumps/Columns-GG-JP-V1

If you go to Dumps/ index and use the search box you can find them (please note that this is not meant to be a user visible index and the names here are not end-user names - we might improve this listing).
Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:32 pm
Bock wrote

Gun.Smoke (건스모크) for the Master System, released in Korea by Prosoft. This is a conversion of the MSX original by Capcom. Find the secret Wanted posters to make the boss appear and progress in the game!

Just to clarify - the MSX game was created by Prosoft, and it's actually a downsized adaption of the NES version.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:08 pm
Awesome! Thanks Bock and Derboo for the GunSmoke release in particular. I'm including that on the standard SC-3000 Multicart release along with an infinite lives cheat / trainer mode because those bl**dy wanted posters are so hard to find.

Hint 1 - from memory the wanted poster on the first level is above two barrels at the left of the screen just before the town starts to loop endlessly. And if you miss it the town *will* loop endlessly until you shoot it. I think the best idea is to try to shoot every barrel on each new level and hope you hit a wanted poster which is probably hiding near it until you've found their locations.

Here is a video of someone playing this game on an MSX

Watch the video from 2.35 onwards. At 2.42 he shoots a blank piece of building and the wanted poster appears. Grab that and the boss will appear at the end of that loop through the town. Miss it and you have to loop again.

Hint 2 - you hit both buttons at the same time to fire straight ahead. That is hard to do on a standard controller. An arcade style controller would suit this game better.

Great game though :) Lots of button mashing fun. The enemy patterns are a bit repetitive, but they've packed a lot into a 32KB ROM release.

Cheers
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:47 pm
I took screenshot of the location where the poster is on the first level:
http://www.smspower.org/Screenshots/GunSmoke-SMS
Look for the one titled "Secret poster".
Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:59 pm
Is it wrong how much I like the garish green colour of the cart for Magical Kid Wiz? :-)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 pm
Some cool dumps as usual, thanks !

Has someone tried Magical Kid Wiz on a real SG-1000 ? Because this game does not set bit 7 of VDP register 1 when drawing the title screen and this result in corrupted tiles if you emulate 4K/16K VRAM address decoding.

If the screen is correct on SG-1000 hardware, this could mean the bit is already set by defaut on reset...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:57 pm
SG-1000 II was the most common system in Taiwan (there was a Mark III also but rather rare AFAIK) .
Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:52 am
Eke wrote
Has someone tried Magical Kid Wiz on a real SG-1000 ? Because this game does not set bit 7 of VDP register 1 when drawing the title screen and this result in corrupted tiles if you emulate 4K/16K VRAM address decoding.

If the screen is correct on SG-1000 hardware, this could mean the bit is already set by defaut on reset...

Unfortunately Magical Kid Whiz is a 48KB ROM image, so I can't just plug it onto my SC-3000 multicart and try it.

But I can tell you bit 7 is not set by default on a SC-3000. Xevious did the same thing and I had to patch that to get it to work on the SC-3000. The full analysis on that one is here.

http://sc3000-multicart.com/news.htm#20111214

Note that Xevious was a Samsung Gam*boy port from an MSX based game.

I doubt that bit 7 is automatically set on a SG-1000 II either. Those either use a TMS99XX chip or a custom combined sound / video chip depending on how old it is.

If you tried to tie any of the input bits high with a pull up resistor or similar you would affect the writes to all the registers. I suppose it could rely on uninitialized memory defaulting to bit 7 being set. But I haven't looked at the game code or done any testing on default memory values on a SC-3000 / SG-1000 / II, sorry.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!