SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Console pictures

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Console pictures
Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:10 pm
It'd be awesome to have more of the Sega 8-bit consoles showing up in the background image. In the longer term, we also want to have nice pictures for the hardware section of the site, which we haven't even started on yet.

To do this, what we'd ideally like would be some reasonably-high-res photos (any modern digital camera resolution is fine) of a bunch of Sega consoles (ideally ones in excellent condition) and, more to the point, nice clean backgrounds so we can crop them out. The best thing would be if someone has a light box setup and the necessary consoles so all the photos would be in the same conditions. Failing that, I find just a wide roll of white paper does OK as a background.

Is anyone able to help? Or am I going to go to Bock's house with a roll of paper?
Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:06 pm

p1410008.jpg (1.5 MB)
Attachment fairy
p1410008.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:06 pm
Had a quick go for you. Unfortunately my camera is rather crap, as are my photography skills and my consoles get played a fair bit so they are dirty.

If this example meets your expectations, I will continue on with a few other bits and pieces. Might do a Japanese Master System, Hong Kong Master System and a PAL Power Base Converter next.
GameGearYellow.png (445.66 KB)
GameGearYellow.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:49 pm
I'd say both suffer from (1) being angled slightly below the console and (2) not having much chance of looking "the same" as a picture of a Master System. (These two criteria are, as you may have noticed, a bit conflicting.) How would it look if the GG was lying on a surface and the photo was at that sort of 3/4 angle? How about if the GG was balanced so it was "standing up" - or would it fall over? Or should we go for the "standard" angle, e.g. http://www.smspower.org/Scans/Sega-Catalogue-DieSpieleFurDasMasterSystemIIUndDen...

My idea is to build up a sort of montage background, I've attached a quick rush. The lighting and angle differences between the pictures make it look a bit weird, and the scales are all wrong too. So I'm not sure how far it will go.

On the other hand, as decent pictures of the consoles for showing what they look like, they're fine.
bg.jpg (21.23 KB)
bg.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:21 pm
I've been considering buying a light box but haven't bothered looking for details yet. If you can recommend anything. I assume it takes a bit of practice to get things setup right to avoid reflection and it could affect the consistency of multiple pictures.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:46 pm
I can't help with light boxes - I thought maybe some pro eBay sellers might know about them. I only know enough to know I know too little.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:32 pm
Maxim wrote
I'd say both suffer from being angled slightly below the console
Yes, otherwise the GG screen would act as a mirror, and reflect me and my camera (not to mention, the flash). I tried to use the first "safe" angle, but I am open to suggestions...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!