Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega 8-bit winter of dumps Part 3: Eight Korean games

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Sega 8-bit winter of dumps Part 3: Eight Korean games
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:48 am
Last edited by Bock on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
It started snowing here!

As promised I am on fire with new releases, we've got eight Korean dumps today, seven of them being totally new games on the Master System. This is Christmas all over again. Many are conversions from rare MSX1 games, sometimes original developed in Korea.

Please also note again that many of those games may not work in some emulators. Latest MEKA wip builds (from here or MESS should run them, else please bug your favourite emulator authors for better compatibility with odd Korean releases.

Alibaba and 40 Thieves / Ali Baba (아리바바) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System, an odd variation on Pac-Man where you have to catch thieves and money back, avoiding the more armed thieves.

Block Hole / Sagak-ui Bimil (사각의 비밀) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System, unlicensed adaptation by Zemina of Konami's Quarth / Block Hole. An original puzzle game masquerading as a shooting game. Manoeuvring a ship able to shoot small blocks you able to complete the shape of blocks coming toward you. The game also supports two players.

E.I. - Exa Innova for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System, one of the early obscure shooter by none other but Compile, creators of the Aleste / Power Strike series. Lots of enemies, nice background and moving patterns with the Compile flavour, the game is simple but very playable.

King & Balloon / Wang-gwa Pungseon (왕과풍선) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System. My odd favourite of today. Early Namco MSX1 game, King & Balloon is an evolution of the Space Invaders and Galaga recipes in which you control knights protecting your king from being kidnapped by evil.. coloured balloons. The game is technically very low specced but it plays like a charm!

Pooyan (퓨얀) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System, Konami's classic adaptation of a pig and wolves story with a cute setting reminiscent of earlier Game & Watch (so much that a LCD game has been made out of it). The game is rather difficult and unforgiving and build up on our newly cherished "balloon=evil" thematic.

Puznic / Puzzle Game (퍼즐게임) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System, an unlicensed adaptation of Taito's arcade puzzle by the prolific programmers at Zemina. Actually a very good puzzle game relying on the mechanic of assembling blocks of the same shape accounting for gravity and blocks holding each other so success depends on the order of each of our move.

Xyzolog / XY Rogo (XY로고) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System. Taito again! A charming looking dodging game in the vein of Marble Madness, sharp visuals and an uncommon last-resort suicide mechanic.
*EDIT* In our initial update we called this game "Xyxolog" which was a mistake. Thanks to cactushead for pointing this out.

Finally we've got Great Golf [Japan] for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System in its Korean version. The naming confusion here is that there's two different games bearing the name Great Golf, one being only released in Japan. This specific Korean cartridge is based on the Japanese version of Great Golf, hence the odd naming.
  • Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:50 am
Last edited by Bock on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
This message will auto destruct itself someday.
block_hole-sms-kr.zip (17.72 KB)
pooyan-sms-kr.zip (20.91 KB)
puznic-sms-kr.zip (16.35 KB)
xyzolog-sms-kr.zip (18.65 KB)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:23 am
Wow, lots of new games!

By the way, I believe Block Hole is a port of the Konami arcade game Quarth/Block Hole.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:05 am
Correct! I'll edit the message and game page accordingly.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:52 pm
I believe the correct name for TAITO's XY Rogo (XY로고) should be Xyzolog
or (ザイゾログ) Zaizorogu in japanese. If you look closely to the first character X and the third character Z you can see the extra lower horizontal bar.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:52 pm
Haven't had any time to poke around, but is the Great Golf game worth anybodies time (i.e. has decent controls, is fun)?
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:03 pm
Thanks so much for these -- what a nice expansion to the SMS library they make! Most work in CrabEmu 0.2.0r98, a few don't, so I'll be in touch with BlueCrab unless he's already on the case.

BTW there appears to be a big chunk of source code around 0x3480 in Xyxolog (or whatever it should be called). Also some funny bits at 0x27A0 and 0x2B20.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:46 pm
Cactushead wrote
I believe the correct name for TAITO's XY Rogo (XY로고) should be Xyzolog
or (ザイゾログ) Zaizorogu in japanese. If you look closely to the first character X and the third character Z you can see the extra lower horizontal bar.

Correct and sorry for the inconvenience. I will fix that.
*EDIT* The ministry of truth have now established that the game was always called Xyzolog.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 am
Nice!

Is there an estimate how many exclusive South Korean MS games have been made? Much more than JP. It seems endless! :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:31 am
There's this old list:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8863

And for reference I have about ~30 Korean dumps left unsorted/unreleased.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:01 pm
goldenband wrote
Thanks so much for these -- what a nice expansion to the SMS library they make! Most work in CrabEmu 0.2.0r98, a few don't, so I'll be in touch with BlueCrab unless he's already on the case.
Well, now that I know about these, I guess I'm on the case. Looks like three of the games don't work in the code of CrabEmu as it stands right now.

Let me also give my thanks for the dumps. Its always fun to see "new" things to play around with (and even better when I can find bugs in my code because of them).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:18 pm
Ali Baba rely on uninitialized memory patterns left by the Japanese BIOS.
I documented it here: http://www.smspower.org/Development/AlibabaAnd40Thieves-SMS
Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:42 pm
Bock wrote
There's this old list:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8863

And for reference I have about ~30 Korean dumps left unsorted/unreleased.

Is one of them Blockade Runner, as mentioned in the "old list"? I'm looking forward to trying that one someday, just for the novelty of playing it on the SMS. I finally beat it on Intellivision recently.

Also, are the contents of that "SMS cartridge with 60 MSX1 games" documented anywhere? Maybe we've already seen some of those dumps here -- just curious, really.

BlueCrab wrote
Well, now that I know about these, I guess I'm on the case. Looks like three of the games don't work in the code of CrabEmu as it stands right now.

Heh, thanks, BlueCrab. :) I've been meaning to check back in on the thread over at DCEmulation, but school's had me a bit tied up. Looking forward very much to building the new version and checking out the CV emulation.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:59 pm
Bock wrote
Ali Baba rely on uninitialized memory patterns left by the Japanese BIOS.
Yes, I had noticed that in the MEKA history.txt file. That indeed fixes the problem in CrabEmu as well (also for Block Hole).

The other fix needed in CrabEmu was a "no mapper" mapper which fixed Xyzolog. So, it looks like all of these are now working in CrabEmu, as of r119.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:49 pm
Nice to see these keep coming :)

I should point out that Ali Baba is an unlicensed port of a Sega arcade game that runs on Pac-Man hardware, so that might explain a lot ;)

Also is that Xyzolog one officially licensed? I'm guessing it's a more bona fide pirate than these others given the "Push Space Key" thing but... I'm surprised Taito's name is still here
Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 am
I love you Bock! :-*

EDIT: Nice to see you around, BlueCrab! :-)
Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:04 pm
andlabs wrote
I should point out that Ali Baba is an unlicensed port of a Sega arcade game that runs on Pac-Man hardware, so that might explain a lot ;)

This particular version was originally published by Sony for the MSX.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 pm
Just to post a huge thanks to you guys!

I re-converted "Puznic" to MSX, re-named it as Puzznic, and did some improvements!

I'm still working on some changes (just increased the game to 50 stages - the original has only 48 levels) and still thinking about adding one or 2 features :)
Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:55 pm
I asked Satoshi Fujishima about Xyzolog on Twitter. He said Compile developed it (well, the MSX version at least), based on Taito's game design.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:39 pm
CRV wrote
I asked Satoshi Fujishima about Xyzolog on Twitter. He said Compile developed it (well, the MSX version at least), based on Taito's game design.

Now I understand that Xyzolog was avaliable in one of Disc Station Magazine disks...
Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:50 pm
Bock wrote

Block Hole / Sagak-ui Bimil (사각의 비밀) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System[/url], unlicensed adaptation by Zemina of Konami's Quarth / Block Hole. An original puzzle game masquerading as a shooting game. Manoeuvring a ship able to shoot small blocks you able to complete the shape of blocks coming toward you. The game also supports two players.

Sorry for the gravedigging, but I am wondering why this game is called Sagak-ui Bimil? I know there was a MSX version with this name, but is this version also named liked this on the box or cart?
I can't find any further information on this.

Thanks!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!