Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - The Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack release thread

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:47 pm
ValleyBell wrote
I added a picture to Terra Cresta. I guess you just forgot it.

I don't have the enough files on game to run, and I was missing the screenshot.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 pm
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Two years and three days without Michael Jackson...

Unlike MD and SMS ports, the Arcade version is a Beat'em Up game.

Have Fun!
Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:15 pm
This is a semi-unrelated question, I thought that the png files inside vgm packs should be optimised, but the one in this pack is 12357 bytes, when it needs 6551 bytes at most:

Did the guidelines change? I would be strongly against including unoptimised png files inside vgm packs.

(note that I don't know if other packs are affected by this, I downloaded this one by pure chance because I like these songs)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:42 am
I am recompressing all packs when adding them to this site (maximal-settings 7-zip/pngout for all three types of compression involved), and there are at least two scripts available which help with this task, but these non-Sega-8-bit packs are less quality-controlled.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:13 pm
Pack uploaded. I added all the missing jingles and also uploaded the golf game.

The guidelines didn't change. png files should still be optimised (and I optimised the pngs of all packs I made).
But I admit that I didn't check most pngs of other people. I'm now executing pngout in my packing script.
And my "quality control" is mostly checking the description file (usually I just replace the song list with the output of vgm_stat, which rounds correct and has track numbers) and a check of the vgms. (All v1.51 vgms trimmed with VGMTool have no data offset, but are still v1.51. And sometimes I apply the Volume Modifier.)

Btw: Tom, how do you get 6551 bytes? I get no less than 6921 bytes. (my pngout options are /c3 /d0)
Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:46 am
ValleyBell wrote
Btw: Tom, how do you get 6551 bytes? I get no less than 6921 bytes. (my pngout options are /c3 /d0)
d0? o.O
The /dx parameter is used to tell how big the palette is (in bits), so /d0 makes no sense, it's usually /d4 for 16 colors and /d8 for 17 to 256 colors, even though, interestingly enough, some 16 colors pngs are smaller with /d8 for unknown reasons.
There's no magic formula to get a png as small as possible, I usually test a few strategic /bxxx values (/b512, /b1024, ...) and a few strategic /nx values (/n1, /n2, ...); in some very rare cases, it is possible that a png gets smaller with a nonzero /fx (e.g. /f2 or /f4), so sometimes I test for that too. Also interesting: if a palettized png uses a lot of colors and it is small in pixel size (e.g. a sprite), it's sometimes possible that the /c2 /f0 version is smaller than the /c3 version. Again, this is quite rare, but it happens.
I made a couple of batch files that help me test several combinations of the parameters until I get the smallest size possible.
Once I believe that pngout reached its lower limit, I run the resulting png file through DeflOpt.exe -b, which usually shaves a few more bits (yes, bits).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:40 am
d0 is the default anyway. It's always worth specifying /f0 (if not brute-forcing filters) as it defaults to /f3 when there's more than 256 colours, but for videogame graphics /f0 usually does a lot better.

There's also some utility to using the /r parameter, that can gain a few bytes sometimes.

If you want to be really nuts about it, you can mix in other PNG optimisers - there's 5 or 6 of them and occasionally the others can beat PNGOUT. Also, PNGOUT tends to get updated occasionally, and (mostly) the compression gets better.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Life Force, Major League and Shinobi
Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:14 am
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Again, another selection of YM2151 rips (majority of my games uses YM2151, AY3-8-910 and Konami chips).

Well, this topic is same at My Puzzle Selection, but not feature any puzzle game :-P

First, is Life Force a VGM Pack for a arranged graphical version of Salamander. The pack includes only Life Force exclusive musics (without remixes, like in Planet Ratis). Second, is the first System 16 game, Major League, that was one of two games of Pre-System 16 board (the other is Quartet). And third, is Shinobi, a great plataform game, that you control Joe Mushashi to battling with Neo Zeed.

Now, the only games for System 16A that was missing for ripping, is Action Fighter and Body Slam (I have Action Fighter ROM).

@Valley Bell: Three things to tell:

First, you don't have 14 VGM packs, and yes, 15 (how can you forgot the Popful Mail VGM Pack at project2612.org???).

Second, I have created some english and japanese tags for future chips in VGM 1.61:

-Namco System series = ナムコシステムXX (replace a number for Namco System that you was logged)
-Sega System Series = セガシステム1/2, セガシステムE, セガシステム16, セガシステム18, セガシステム24, セガシステムC-2 & システム32
-Sega X/Y = セガ X/Y
-Sega Computer 3000 = セガコンピュータ 3000
-Arcade Machine = アーケードマシーン
-System GX = システムGX
-Atari System 1/2 = アタリシステム 1/2
-Bubble System = バブルシステム
-Irem M Series = アイレム MXX (same thing in Namco System series)
-Twin 16 = ツイン16
-Neo Geo = ネオジオ
-NES = ファミリコンピュータ
-Game Boy = ゲームボーイ
-Game Boy Color = ゲームボーイカラー
-Game Boy Advance (some games like Konami Krazy Racers and MOTHER 1 counterpart in MOTHER 1+2 uses more the DMG Custom than the GBA DAC) = ゲームボーイ アドバンス
-TurboGrafx-16/TurboGrafx-CD = PCエンギネ/SUPER CD-ROM²

The only GBA games that uses more DMG APU than GBA DAC (that I know), is the another two mentioned above, a mini-game in Famista Advance, hitting musics in Greatest Nine (japanese version of Baseball Advance), ChuChu Rocket! and Pro Yakyuu Team wo Tsukurou! Advance (sometimes Yakyutsuku Advance).

Third, is a smallest correction on VGM Packs, but I don't have much time to do this task. VB, in Super Monaco GP and in Thunder Blade, both them is from Sega X Board. You can re-tag for me, please?

Have Fun!
Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:25 pm
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
OMAKE REPLY! A new VGM Pack! Is the YM2151 version of Enduro Racer!

I was reading the MJ's Moonwalker topic, and I looked at PNGOUT. I don't have the PNGOUT plugin in IrfanView, but I think that is most work to do for me before creating every pack.

Have Fun!
Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:09 am
On the Main Theme of Enduro Racer (listed as BGM), it has 23 seconds of the song missing before the track loops again in the VGM Pack. The total point should be around 4:46 instead of 4:23 (4:40 in the YM2203 version for some reason).

Apart from that, keep up with the good work with these arcade VGM rips.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:35 pm
All packs uploaded.

Thanks for all the system tags (especially the Japanses ones). The with the next update, vgm_tag will support all of them.

Sega X tag update: done. (with the new vgm_tag, so it has a Japanese system name)

Btw: I just count the packs in the archive. The Sega CD packs are there for historical reasons.

Also:
PackList.txt wrote
48 Packs
Sonic of 8! - 26 packs
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Bubble Bobble, Route 16 and Lot Lot
Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Another topic that features three VGM Packs in one topic.

Bubble Bobble is my first VGM Pack with use of two different Yamaha sound chips at same time! Route 16 is a racing game, that uses AY8910. And Lot Lot, suppodely uses 2x AY8910, but really one is used.

@Valley Bell: I was converted various VGM files with 2xSN76496 (Tetris (E) & Pythagoras no Riddle) with vgm2mid, and some ton was playing Piano notes (in my PC, is the AcousticGrandPiano instrument). What I we do: Waiting for a new release of vgm2mid or editing with TallStick's TS-MIDI Editor?

Have Fun!
Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:40 pm
Sonic of 8! wrote
Bubble Bobble
Awesome :D

By the way:
;)
Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:44 am
Packs uploaded and I stripped all the unused chips in Bubble Bobble's vgms.
Btw: Bubble Bobble was one of the first games I used to test the MAME vgm mod. I actually planned to make a rip, but never started to do so.
So it's nice to see you made the rip.

About vgm2mid: The reason for the Grand Piano is that I only set instruments for the first chip (channels 11-14) and Grand Piano is the default instrument.
I plan to work on vgm2mid this month, but of course you can also edit the midis.
Instruments should be 81 Sqare Lead for channels 1-3 and 128 Gunshot for channel 4.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Darius
Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:01 pm
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
I think that is my last Arcade rip (I tired!).

Darius is one of three main competitor of shooters (the another two is Gradius & R-Type). But Darius not became popular, because Darius not was avaliable to any home consoles, excluding Darius Alpha/Plus in PC Engine (NES has Gradius, SMS has R-Type and Darius II). Only with the creation of Darius II (Sagaia in some ports), Darius II became popular.

It uses Dual YM2203, but lacks two musics that uses the MSM-5205 and has a lot of silence (because is unsupported).

"But, why is your reason to stoping of Arcade VGMs?"

Simple. First, most of my games that I have uses another chip that is unsupported by vgm 1.60. Second, most of my games, uses 2x ou 3x chips, but with a different method (each one separate or each one in a different clock). And third, I was only the man that was ripping Arcade VGMs (with Darius and anothers made by me, the counter reaches 30!).

Have Fun!

@ValleyBell: Please, release a MAME/MESS VGM Log version with NES and GB APUs logging.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:14 pm
Pack uploaded.
Could you please check the loops of the first 2 tracks (Captain Neo, Boss 1)? They seem a little wrong. (Captain Neo has a small gap, Boss 1 a hanging note)

I'll release a MAME/MESS with NES/GB logging during the next few weeks. But I'll need to work in in_vgm first.
(I already finished/uploaded the first GB pack, but I'll annouce it when I release the next version of VGMPlay/in_vgm.)

Btw: I'm working on 2 vgm packs I'll release soon.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Touki Denshou -Angel Eyes-
Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:55 pm
Some time passed since I made the last Arcade vgm pack. Today I present the music of a fighting game by Tecmo.

So what's special about this? It uses the same board as Deroon DeroDero and it's music is equally great.

No, this time you don't get a background choir singing some lines.
What you get is a band with a cool organ, (very realistic) electric guitars, trumpets, strings, etc.

The only sad thing: It's the last game (of only 2 ones) that uses the Tecmo System board and all other games that use the YMZ280 seem to just stream the music.

Get the pack here. (I recommend the vgm7z, it's only 900 KB, the zip has 5.7 MB)

Have fun and enjoy some great music!
Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:35 pm
ValleyBell wrote
Pack uploaded.
Could you please check the loops of the first 2 tracks (Captain Neo, Boss 1)? They seem a little wrong. (Captain Neo has a small gap, Boss 1 a hanging note)

Is normally a little pause on looping tracks in Taito games (occurs the same thing at the Bonus Music in Bubble Bobble.). Both them are correct (and at least, I used at first time, VGM Loop Finder!).

@ValeyBell (again): Question about GB APU support: The GB APU support on VGMPlay/in_vgm supports sample voice playing?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:20 pm
With "sample voice playing" you mean the DAC channels of the GBA, right? No it doesn't.

But if you have a normal GB/GBC game that plays voices, it is supported, although the files will be quite huge.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Fury of the Furries
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:19 pm
The first time I heard the music of this game was when I played a game called "Furry" (with 2 "r"-s).
It used some Amiga mod-files and the notes contained the actual origin of the tunes: "Fury of the Furries"

Some weeks ago I discovered that there is a PC/DOS version of FotF and just a few days later I started ripping its music.

Download

The DOS version has all the Amiga tunes and a lot more. In total you get 18 tunes that play for over 1 hour. (each song has a long loop of 2-3 minutes)

Enjoy some nice tracker music!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:04 pm
Later, Namco was created Pac-In-Time, a re-adaption of this game for SNES, DOS, Mac PCs & SGB (and GG, but it was never released...).
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50 am
OMG! This was one of my favourite games back in the day, not surprisingly because of its great music.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Tetris Classic
Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:33 pm
Music from another DOS game.
Niloct requested this some time ago and I felt like doing some DOS music rips.

I ripped the Sound Blaster Pro 2 version, because the game uses the stereo-feature of the OPL3 chip. (else I would've used AdLib mode)

The music is a little boring, but nice.
None of the BGM songs loops - they all stop after 30-60 seconds. The only looping song is the High Score theme.

Download

One note to the pack's picture: It doesn't fit into the standard, but it's just too beatiful to be cropped. (And I didn't feel like spending an hour to make the picture square.)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 pm
You can always letterbox a picture to make it square.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:08 pm
Thanks man!

Now, in_vgm 0.35 can't handle those files, and I found an online YMF262 player that didn't like vgm =P

Digging in forums I found several broken links too.

Where can I play those ?

Nevermind! Great rip!
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:43 pm
Look here
If you're using my in_vgm 0.35 beta, turn "Emulate at true sampling rate" off to make it work.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:49 pm
haha I edited the message after I noticed the link at the top of the page!

Thanks.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Speedy Gonzales (Game Boy)
Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:58 am
I already uploaded this pack a while go, but I can't announce a pack that nobody can play :)

So here it is, the first Game Boy vgm pack: Speedy Gonzales (also known because of a pirate called "Sonic 6" that replaces Speedy with Sonic)
You can get it here.

I have to say, it has some really good music and a very nice rendition of "Ronda Alla Turca". (It's so nice that they used it in 2 zones instead of one.)

Enjoy some GB music in you vgm player!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 am
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
You can make a Sagaia VGM OST? I was included the album art and the GBS ROM converted with GBS2GB.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 am
The music author is "David de Gruttola" also known in the past years as "David Cage" (head of Quantic Dream who did Heavy Rain etc.).
Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:29 am
Thanks. He wasn't mentioned in the credits.

Does anyone know which song the Level Intro music is based on? It's familiar, but I can't remember its name.

EDIT: About the Sagaia VGM pack: I'm currently working on Lemmings 3D DOS, which has 38 tracks, so it may take a while until have time for Sagaia.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] R-Type
Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 pm
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
A big surprise!

R-Type is one of the three most shooting games know in world (Darius is 2nd and Gradius is 1st). And there is musics from this good game (uses YM2151)!

I don't know the reason, but Sega was removed R-Type from Wii VC.

Have Fun!
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Game Boy BIOS
Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:49 pm
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
It was a smaller jingle, but that is it.

Also, was ripped when I was playing Arle no Bouken: Mahou no Jewel.

I don't know, but Sega was licensing all Compile games in 90's decade end.

Have Fun!

PS: After Valleybell posting the files in your folder, I will start to delete the hosted Non Sega 8-bit packs hosted in SMS Power! The reason is for saving space on the server.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:19 pm
Pack uploaded.

I did some small grammar corrections and fixed the pack release date in both packs. (2011/09/02 was clearly wrong, at least for the GB BIOS pack.)
Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:36 pm
Pack uploaded.
(hmm ... it seems I forgot to click the "Submit" button - see post in R-Type topic for notes)
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] FDS BIOS & M82 Demo
Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:52 pm
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
First NES & FDS VGM Packs comes!

Famicom Disk System BIOS is just the Power-Up music of the add-on (the another two jingles in NSF file don't loop). And the another is M82 Demo (or M82 Game Selectable Working Product Display), that plays one music. The M82 acts like the SMS Kiosk Unit, althrough none of two has 100% emulated in MESS.

Have Fun!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:34 am
Arghh. N******o music now!
You guys needs to find a home someday :)
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Sagaia (Game Boy)
Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:35 am
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
NOTE: Don't confuse this topic with the Sagaia on MD/SMS.

As promised, here is the "true" GB VGM Pack made by me!

Sagaia on GB is a down-scaled and down-colored port of first game of Darius series. The tracks don't follow the game order and yes, the Arcade OST order (Zuntata made a Sagaia OST some months ago). So, the order is much like at Darius playlist (remember that have 2xYM2203 data).

My next VGM Pack can be Bomberman Collection or Dangar: Ufo Robo (Terra Cresta sequel).

Have Fun!
Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:51 pm
I did a small correction in Boss 1 track: The name is Hisayoshi Ogura and not Hisyaoshi Ogura.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 am
I uploaded all 3 packs.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:51 pm
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Another game with the GB->GBS->GB->VGM method.

Althrough the game has a sound test, I prefer the GBS2GB method.

Like in Sagaia, I was used Game Boy Light/GB Pocket to ripping the musics (the BIOS jingle can make vgmlpfnd useless most of times).

Have Fun!
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:51 pm
YESSSSS!

Man, I *love* the music for this game. I've searched for a GBS rip of it all across the net several times now, literally hours of searching, and concluded that it hadn't been ripped (and nobody seemed that interested in doing so).

Thanks again ValleyBell! You keep doing amazing stuff, the Sonic 1 project you're doing is fantastic too.
OMAKE: Bomberman Collection VGM Pack
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:54 pm
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
OMAKE REPLY! The Bomberman Collection VGM Pack comes! But only the title and menu music is valid here (is much work for me to playing W*rio Blast featuring Bomberman and Bomberman GB to discover the music names).

And the album art is missing. I don't have the ROM.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Rastan
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:54 pm
Hi everybody
here is my first arcade (of a long list) vgm release
Rastan from Taito (still, i'm not that far of sms, since the guy was adapted, with the interesting ability to jump on walls)
hope you'll enjoy
stay tuned for many more vgm releases !!!!
Rastan.zip (182.69 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:35 pm
I don't was played the Arcade version, but I think that this game uses YM2203...
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:37 pm
wrong, this game was using ym2151
Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:37 am
ym2151.

Thanks. I was cited this because Taito and DECO loves to using YM2203 in most games.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:34 pm
Yo Mika, nice soundtrack!

I don't know if it has to do with normalization or with the M1 .lst file, but IMO the volume of your log is way too loud.
[Non Sega 8-bit VGM Pack] Cadash
Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:24 am
Hi everybody
here is another Taito game musics rip, Cadash (adapted on Megadrive (lacking some features) and Pc engine (nice version))
enjoy !!!
(still many more to come)
Cadash.zip (324.27 KB)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:34 pm
Both packs uploaded.
Also added cover to Bomberman Collection. (Hope I got the right one.)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!