SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Tools related to specific games

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Tools related to specific games
Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:40 pm
Would it be worthwhile to add a new wikigroup to the site for game-related tools? This would cover level editors, savegame editors, data extractors, ... and I can't think of much else. The thing is, I can only think of a few things to add there, so is it worth the effort?

- Slider level editor
- Teddy Boy level editor
- Lemmings level editor
- Whatever RPG savegame editors are on zophar.net or wherever
- That PHP script that dumps semi-complete Sonic level maps

That way, relevant tools could show up in a list on the game page.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:45 pm
I think they should be linked/mentionned from both Development/ and Cheats/ pages?
Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:41 am
Bock wrote
I think they should be linked/mentionned from both Development/ and Cheats/ pages?

Agreed, and I do not know of what utilities are out there as I don't use them!
Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:07 am
I also agree with Bock. If a tool such as a level editor exists for a game, it should definitely be advertised on the Cheats page. Also, if a level editor has been written, the level format used by the game must be known. This format should be documented on the Development page, so it makes sense to have the tool available there as well.

I guess the question is, should the tool be described on one of these pages with a link on the other (and perhaps on the main Games page), or should all of these pages link to a separate location for the tool?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 am
Level editors aren't really cheats. One thing we also (sort of) lack is somewhere to put more general game tips, walkthroughs, etc which right now would also fit most closely to the Cheats section. The main reason for segregating things out to their own wikigroup is really to allow an overview of "what are all the games that have tools", so people can browse from that angle.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:48 am
Btw the listing from the forum index shows a "[Poll]" marker but i can't see the poll.

My gut feeling is that segreggating things into too many sections adds up management overhead for us (mainly for you :). I'm not against the feature but always cautious on adding complexity to the site. We can also use tags or manually maintened listing.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:06 am
[I added some forum mod that would allow easier dealing with the fraudulent voting in this year's competition, but it seems now polls are broken. I'll fix it some time, hopefully before the next competitions...]

Well, that's why I started a discussion instead of just doing it. I was hoping maybe someone would appear with some huge list of worthwhile tools that would make it worth doing. I guess tagging is probably just as good for getting that overview anyway.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!