Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Super Arkanoid on Master Everdrive

Reply to topic
Super Arkanoid on Master Everdrive
Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:30 pm
was stoked to find out that a korean woody pop exists where you can use a joystick and it had been dumped! but loaded it up on my SMS with the everdrive cart and I can get into a game but can't move left or right at all! not with a paddle controller or a joypad. how it taunts me... does anyone know if its possible to get this game working on a master system?

edit - just found this "Edit the ROM image (make a backup copy before) and overwrite the following 5 successives addresses with 00: 06F2, 06F3, 06F4, 06F5, 06F6. That's 5 byte to modify. " can someone tell me how do I do that?

edit again - nevermind figured it out. this is friggin sweet!
Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:30 pm
I'd like to add I've been having a similar problem with Alien Syndrome on the Everdrive MD using The Sega Nomad. (Control is wacky)

Also Alex Kidd BMX Trial which requires a paddle controller.

I'm not sure if anyone has patched these games to work with a standard controller. But it would be good thing. :)

Obviously the Alien Syndrome one is unique to playing it on the Mega Drive so I don't expect much help there. ;)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:06 am
also the majority of korean ROMs don't work on the everdrive or emulator. how do you play these ROMs? will they work on a mega drive?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:25 am
They don't play because the firmware doesn't support those mappers.

The firmware is not open-source so we can't improve it (any personally i wouldn't know how to test it) but hopefully Igor could be willing to update it sometimes with new mappers? (the source code of MEKA shows how to emulate those mappers)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:13 am
I noticed Super Arkanoid has region detection and controls won't work on a non-japanese console.

As for MD games, some of them are only compatible with 3-buttons controller.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:43 am
thought it was something to do with the firmware, thanks bock. on the assembler forums Igor said that he had no plans to add support for korean games. its a pity its not open source so that other people can modify it. at least some of the korean games work, better then none. btw awesome work with all the dumps lately especially the taiwan/korean sg-1000 exclusives, look forward to more
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 am
For some of the less exotic mappers, it may be possible to hack the ROM. For others, it's not going to be possible.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:17 pm
Currently loving playing this game with a Quick Joy Footpedal Controller for the Mega Drive. It works suprisingly well resting on your lap, using your hands to press the pedals to move left and right. Works much better than a control pad. Obviously no where as responsive as using a Paddle Controller on actual Woody Pop though.

I didn't modify the rom, but it works on my UK console and is much easier playing at 50hz.

The Footpedal controller is one of those novelty things, but it's the most I've used it for a long time. I virtually completed the game with it. A lot of continues though. Give it a go if you have one. Much more useful than the Handle Controller!!!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!