Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MathJax on the wiki, pls?

Reply to topic
MathJax on the wiki, pls?
Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:13 pm
I was looking the other day for JS-based solutions for displaying math on a webpage using LaTeX or MathML markup (to replace the rather old texvc solution on a few MediaWiki installs I have, and to use on MediaWikis that I can't install texvc on) and I came across MathJax (http://www.mathjax.org/) as the best solution so far. I was wondering if y'all could install it on the wiki so we could embed math equations on pages.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to consider this request!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:46 pm
Why would you want to embed math equations in the Wiki?
My first guess would be that it could be killing a fly with a bazooka to install extensions that we would have to update/maintain if we don't have much use for them. But I'm happy to hear if you feel there's a reason for the use of equations that can't be expressed in textual form.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:24 am
Bock wrote
Why would you want to embed math equations in the Wiki?
We're lucky there are no Pokémon games on the Sega 8-bit consoles: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Experience (first page that came into my mind)
We're also lucky we're not making a Tool Assisted Speedrun of Megaman: http://www.yuko2ch.net/rockman/w1clear.jpg (second page that came into my mind)

Seriously though, while I can see a few places where formulas can be useful, I doubt it would be worth the effort to maintain this, as Bock said.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:16 pm
Give me an example that justifies it and I'll add it. It can be done on a per-page or per-group basis if we want to avoid yet another Javascript dependency across the site.

Tom's examples are more about graphs than maths. Although the Pokemon parts have some equations, they can be fairly easily displayed using plain text.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:14 am
Regarding specific examples, I know the SN76489 page definitely has equations in it (currently looking weird as mono text); also, if someone were to merge Maxim's YM2413 doc into the YM2413 article that would have equations as well. Also, the YM2151 page (I started it and it's my fault it's not finished; I will update this wk) will certainly have equations and I can slice up any non-text stuff out of the images myself. And if someone were to transcribe to the wiki the YM2612 info from Spritesmind and/or a translated version of the YM3438 scans it would have equations as well.

Beyond the audio chips, I'm not sure what wiki pages have equations in them
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!