SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - VGM plugin release candidate

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
VGM plugin release candidate
Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 5:28 pm
Download it here... with YM2413 support, URL downloading via IE's urlmon.dll, better track title formatting, working Unicode support under Win2K+, etc... if nobody inds any bugs I'll release it.

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:11 pm
> Download it here... with YM2413 support, URL downloading via IE's urlmon.dll, better track title formatting, working Unicode support under Win2K+, etc... if nobody inds any bugs I'll release it.

Hmm..
Any reason the Japanese SMS intro sounds quite bad ?
FM seems too low compared to PSG, also.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:14 pm
> Hmm..
> Any reason the Japanese SMS intro sounds quite bad ?

I didn't test simultaneous FM and PSG yet - that's the only place it's used, right?

> FM seems too low compared to PSG, also.

That's quite likely - the PSG is quite loud compared to the FM (square waves are effectively louder than equal magnitude sine waves), at the moment thay're equally mixed. I really need someone to find the actual levels if possible...

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:31 pm
>> Hmm..
>> Any reason the Japanese SMS intro sounds quite bad ?
> I didn't test simultaneous FM and PSG yet - that's the only place it's used, right?

I don't remember any other playing both on the same time, but it's probable a few other does that.

>> FM seems too low compared to PSG, also.
> That's quite likely - the PSG is quite loud compared to the FM (square waves are effectively louder than equal magnitude sine waves), at the moment thay're equally mixed. I really need someone to find the actual levels if possible...

MEKA sounds pretty good with this music, compared to a real SMS.
I wish I had the equipment to sample correctly.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 11:20 pm
> >> Hmm..
> >> Any reason the Japanese SMS intro sounds quite bad ?
> > I didn't test simultaneous FM and PSG yet - that's the only place it's used, right?

> I don't remember any other playing both on the same time, but it's probable a few other does that.

As I remember Solomon no Kagi does that, but I wouldn't trust me if I were you. =)) was a long time since I played it

> >> FM seems too low compared to PSG, also.
> > That's quite likely - the PSG is quite loud compared to the FM (square waves are effectively louder than equal magnitude sine waves), at the moment thay're equally mixed. I really need someone to find the actual levels if possible...

> MEKA sounds pretty good with this music, compared to a real SMS.
> I wish I had the equipment to sample correctly.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 12:01 pm
The FM sounds alot different with this version than the version before, and to be frank I think the earlier version sounded better.

But then ofcourse I have no idea of how the real thing sounds. I have to go by how it sounds in emulators.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 12:14 pm
> The FM sounds alot different with this version than the version before, and to be frank I think the earlier version sounded better.

That's odd, because... the sound is identical. I haven't changed anyrthing to do with that, it's all "extras" like file info and URL downloading.

> But then ofcourse I have no idea of how the real thing sounds. I have to go by how it sounds in emulators.

Well, I'm taking the easy route and using EMU2413... some people would say I should write my own YM2413 emulator from scratch, but, well, y'know...

Maxim
Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 3:04 pm
> > The FM sounds alot different with this version than the version before, and to be frank I think the earlier version sounded better.

> That's odd, because... the sound is identical. I haven't changed anyrthing to do with that, it's all "extras" like file info and URL downloading.

Hmmm, it sounds alot different here, I could send you two short mono, low bitrate, mp3 encoded clips so you could hear the difference ??

> > But then ofcourse I have no idea of how the real thing sounds. I have to go by how it sounds in emulators.

> Well, I'm taking the easy route and using EMU2413... some people would say I should write my own YM2413 emulator from scratch, but, well, y'know...

I think most people think EMU2413 will do the work good enough since they have never heard the real thing.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 3:08 pm
>> Well, I'm taking the easy route and using EMU2413... some people would say I should write my own YM2413 emulator from scratch, but, well, y'know...
> I think most people think EMU2413 will do the work good enough since they have never heard the real thing.

I don't know EMU2413 well, but I can judge that the Japanese SMS Demo soundsstrange with the plugin, and I have a real system running just near.
  • Site Admin
Updated...
Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 9:37 am
> The FM sounds alot different with this version than the version before, and to be frank I think the earlier version sounded better.

Well, fx^ sent me some MP3s showing the difference and the plugin sounds like his "first version" one for me. I noticed something I accidentally broke in the last release, so I uploaded again to the same URL.

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Re: Updated...
Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 10:46 am
>> The FM sounds alot different with this version than the version before, and to be frank I think the earlier version sounded better.
> Well, fx^ sent me some MP3s showing the difference and the plugin sounds like his "first version" one for me. I noticed something I accidentally broke in the last release, so I uploaded again to the same URL.

The Space Harrier them sounds well now.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 10:47 am
Btw, as I noticed you meant it was a release candidate...

Song display format is not saved, and always '%1 - %2' on WinAMP restart, which is bad.
great :) *nt*
Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 3:54 pm
> > The FM sounds alot different with this version than the version before, and to be frank I think the earlier version sounded better.

> Well, fx^ sent me some MP3s showing the difference and the plugin sounds like his "first version" one for me. I noticed something I accidentally broke in the last release, so I uploaded again to the same URL.

> Maxim
CaitSith2
Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 9:36 pm
> Btw, as I noticed you meant it was a release candidate...

> Song display format is not saved, and always '%1 - %2' on WinAMP restart, which is bad.

You have to go in and change the title formatting is it is no longer %1 - %2.

• Site Admin
Title formatting
Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 9:54 pm
> > Btw, as I noticed you meant it was a release candidate...

> > Song display format is not saved, and always '%1 - %2' on WinAMP restart, which is bad.

> You have to go in and change the title formatting is it is no longer %1 - %2.

I was about to say that Bock must be having another problem, since he's bound to have read the documentations, but... I forgot to include it :) Yes, I decided to change the title formatting from %1 %2 etc (Winamp MP3 plugin style) to more sensible letters (%t = title, %g = game, etc) with the possibility of displaying Japanese text (if MS coded support for their own APIs in your version of Windows) with %gj for example.

So, Bock... is this it? Your wording suggests otherwise...

Maxim

(currently looking bemusedly at MAME's YM2612 code)
  • Site Admin
Re: Title formatting
Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 11:20 pm
I (of course) changed it, but it is never saved on quit. That's the problem I mentionned.
  • Site Admin
Re: Title formatting
Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 9:41 am
> I (of course) changed it, but it is never saved on quit. That's the problem I mentionned.

Well... I tried it myself and had the same effect - it always reset to the default settings. After some hours of trying to figure this out, I finally realised what was causing it... two plugins. I'd been using a different filename (in_fmvgm.dll) since very early development (to make it easier to reinstate the old version) but renamed it to in_vgm.dll before zipping and uploading, then compiled a new in_fmvgm.dll. The two then both write to the INI file when Winamp closes, and the older one writes its stuff second (thereby overwriting with the default values).

So... open your winampplugins folder and delete the older plugin, and all will be well. That explains why you got "%1 - %2" as well, since that's not even in the plugin any more.

Maxim
Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 9:35 pm
> > >> Hmm..
> > >> Any reason the Japanese SMS intro sounds quite bad ?
> > > I didn't test simultaneous FM and PSG yet - that's the only place it's used, right?

> > I don't remember any other playing both on the same time, but it's probable a few other does that.

> As I remember Solomon no Kagi does that, but I wouldn't trust me if I were you. =)) was a long time since I played it

nope, I was wrong, just checked it and it doesn't, my bad

> > >> FM seems too low compared to PSG, also.
> > > That's quite likely - the PSG is quite loud compared to the FM (square waves are effectively louder than equal magnitude sine waves), at the moment thay're equally mixed. I really need someone to find the actual levels if possible...

> > MEKA sounds pretty good with this music, compared to a real SMS.
> > I wish I had the equipment to sample correctly.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!