Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alex Kidd in Miracle World tags

Reply to topic
Alex Kidd in Miracle World tags
Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 pm
I'm new to the site and was wondering that on the Alex Kidd in Miracle World US releases, separate games have the tags "R" and "SM" in the name. Is there a page on the website that can tell me what this means? Maybe it's here and I just overlooked it. Thanks for your help and happy gaming!! =)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 pm
Do you mean on the box scans? These are a sign of the stages of Sega's trademarking standards throughout the lifetime of the system; games which sold well had more production runs and they'd update the box art to reflect their current standard.

The very earliest releases have "Now, there are no limits℠" and "SEGA®". SM means Service Mark. ® means it's a registered trademark.

Later, they switched to "Now, there are no limits®" and "SEGA®". This is presumably because the registration of the slogan was completed.

There are also re-releases and, in export regions, variants where the ® was removed from SEGA later on, or (later still) it became "SEGA™".

The scans have these letters in the names because we want to document all these variants, and having them in the page name helps to point out what the difference is. Also, without it, the page names would clash.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!