Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Aladdin translation

Reply to topic
Aladdin translation
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 am
Hello, I have translated the game Aladdin(sms) to the spanish. Is my first translation, but I think it is a good translation. The translation has all spanish characters like ñ, á, é, í, ó, ú, ¿, ¡. I did my best. Is 100% complete except the word "Ready", that appears at the beginning of some stages, because I didnt find it in the rom.
I would like to ask, if is possible to add my translation to this web, and I dont know what I have to do to be part of the sms translation team, because I would like to continue translating sms games to the spanish.

Thank you.
captura.png (13.11 KB)
captura.png
carcel.png (33.74 KB)
carcel.png
robo.png (26.59 KB)
robo.png
titulo.png (9.39 KB)
titulo.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:37 am
Hi,

There are a few ways to go about this. You could simply make your own website, or post it to a website like romhacking.net, or join some translations "group". Or, if you are happy to release under the "SMS Power" branding, you can simply add it to our site here. (It'd be nice to include our name in the hack... but not required.)

In all cases, you should produce an IPS patch for the translation. You can do that using many IPS tools; I recommend "Lunar IPS".

If you would like some help with getting the "ready" text translated, posting in our development forum would be a good idea. I will take a look later today.

In order to add it to our site, simply produce an IPS file and some screenshots (as I see you did; although your shots are scaled (from Kega?), we require 1:1 scale) and we can create a page. We can also give you the editing rights to add it yourself.

Also, we are interested in any technical aspects (e.g. font compression?) that you dealt with. If you can document those, it may help other translators in the future.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:05 pm
In-game, READY and PAUSE are displayed using the letters "ADEPRSUY!" (alphabetically sorted). Did you translate PAUSE? Do you know where the "!" is used?

The READY text is displayed using sprites; R is tile $F4 in the tile viewer. I can find that at VRAM location $3ff3, so I set a write breakpoint there, and find that the sprite table's written every frame from RAM - $f4 comes from $c3b3. A write breakpoint there

# b w c3b3
Breakpoint [0] added.
 [0] Break CPU   .W.  C3B3
# c
000D: [0] break CPU write to C3B3, writing value=00
# c
349E: [0] break CPU write to C3B3, writing value=f4
# d 3495
 3495: 21 34 38     LD HL,3834h
 3498: 11 B2 C3     LD DE,C3B2h
 349B: 01 0A 00     LD BC,000Ah
 349E: ED B0       >LDIR

The data at 3834 is the READY text, along with X coordinates:

# m 3834
3834-383B | 6C F4 74 F2 7C F0 84 F1 | l.t.|...
383C-3843 | 8C F7 94 F8 CD 76 09 3E | .....v.>

The problem is... what letters do you need for PAUSE and READY? Google suggests PAUSA and LISTO which exactly fits...

You still need to edit them into the right place to show up in the tiles, too (there is not a full alphabet), and edit the PAUSE data if not already done.

Did you translate the Test Mode screens? http://www.smspower.org/Cheats/Aladdin-SMS
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:30 pm
Well, I think I have a little work to do and a lot of things I must learn.

I know Lunar IPS. I am using Meka with Wine, in Ubuntu 10.10.

I havent translated neither "Pause" nor Test Mode. I didnt know the Test Mode.

I used Translexion, Tile Layer Pro, Searchrx, Tabular, LunarIPS and a little guide to do the translation.

The guide, doesnt speak about sprites, but I have translated : "Try Again?" and "Enter Password". I have translated these words searching the Alphabet of the Password screen in Translexion. These words are bigger than others, and they are built in two parts. I dont know if I am expaining well.

For example : Letter "G", when I was translating normal text, was number 52 in Hex. But letter "G" in "Try Again?", was 2E for the first 50%(up to down) of the letter, and 2F for the other 50%.

Thank You.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm
So all the fonts are stored uncompressed? (I didn't find them when I quickly looked.) Interesting - maybe the double-height fonts are generated from the same data? Still, it is a waste of space not to compress them.

The sprites are very SMS-specific. The internal data format for sprites is:

yyyyy...
(blank space)
xnxnxnxnxn...

where n = tile number, and x,y = position. So the "READY" data is stored as xnxnxn... to be easy to load, but hard to search for :) Edit the bytes I mentioned to alter these values:
x = 6C, n = F4 (R)
x = 74, n = F2 (E)
x = 7C, n = F0 (A)
...etc. Changing the available letters is trickier... if the game's loading in the same font, it must be choosing the letters individually so it may be easy to alter.

For the double-height text, it takes two 8x8 tiles to draw which matches the description you gave.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!