Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - GG Putt & Putter - Level Maps: should I?

Reply to topic
GG Putt & Putter - Level Maps: should I?
Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:50 pm
Since there seems to be some interest towards level maps as of lately I was wondering if I should take the time to make level maps for the Game Gear version of Putt & Putter (I noticed that there already are maps for the Master System version).

Now, here's an example. Beginner class, hole 1:

Or without sea:

edit: one more example. Beginner class, hole 2:

----

Images removed from thread, maps are here:
http://www.smspower.org/Maps/PuttAndPutter-GG
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:58 pm
I didn't realise they were different... now I need to go and play through :) (Hmm... GG -> SMS conversion possibility?)

Anyway, map away if you enjoy it :) Some suggestions (as a mapping veteran of sorts):

- Are those the full level extents? The SMS version was consistently 296x384, as in the camera would only scroll that far.
- With sea seems better to me.
- If possible, make the sea appear at the same animation frame across maps to make it less noticeable. The second map's frame seems more appealing.
- Erm, that's it :) They're pretty good.
- Oh yeah... http://www.smspower.org/maxim/Software/ScreenshotAutostitcher might help make it easier.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:13 am
Maxim wrote
- Are those the full level extents? The SMS version was consistently 296x384, as in the camera would only scroll that far.
- With sea seems better to me.
- If possible, make the sea appear at the same animation frame across maps to make it less noticeable. The second map's frame seems more appealing.
- That's as far as the camera can go. I moved the cursor to the 4 corners and it wouldn't scroll more than that. It seems that every map has a different size.
- I agree. But I always like to give another option just in case.
- I didn't think about that, and that's a good suggestion. I only looked into keeping the frame consistent within a single map.

edit: the sea frames can only be matched to an extent. It looks like that the sea can use different palettes in different levels (and other levels even use different backgrounds altogether).
The best I can do, for the levels with a sea background, is to match the animation frame. Have a zoomed view of a 16x16 tile from the first two holes:

The third hole uses the same palette as the second. I guess they changed it to have more contrast in those levels with a blue terrain, and they kept the richer palette for those levels with a green/brown terrain.

This is level 2 redone:

And level 3, still of the beginner class:

Level 4:

Level 5:

Level 6:
Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:26 pm
Usually I don't like to double post, but, do you have any more feedback on these?
It should be noted that I "cheated" with the sea tiles in the first two levels, as I manually tiled a 16x16 tile all over the background (thinking I could save time in that way, just to be proven wrong when I did the other levels), while the tiles are actually slightly different around the terrain as you can see in the other levels.
Probably I should redo the first two levels with the actual sea tiles.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:49 am
I'd say yes for the re-doing, perfectionism is sort of the standard for pixel art. Often when mapping I'll build up some stock image parts that I can use for "cheating" for this sort of detail - just tile the "sea" and paste/layer over the correct-frame edges. But it might be easier here just to screenshot the right frame - Alt+F12 in Meka to frame advance.

Could you attach images rather than use Imageshack? They have a habit of deleting images which makes old threads unreadable.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am
Ok. I did all the Beginner holes, I will do the Master holes eventually in the next days, probably over the weekend. Now that I have a job my free time decreased a lot...

edit: I just realised I am an idiot. For some reason I misread your comment about the sea frames and I used everywhere the one you didn't like :|
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 am
Added:

http://www.smspower.org/Maps/PuttAndPutter-GG

You're welcome to add the rest directly if you like.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:57 pm
Great. I will let you know once I'll find the time to do the master levels, just in case I can't figure out how to use this wiki software.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 pm
Last edited by Tom on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:28 am; edited 2 times in total
So let's get it started. 6 out of 18 means 33% :)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:05 pm
I don't know if it's an emulation bug or a bug in the original game, but the objects in Master Hole 9 shift upwards if you move the camera in a certain way. This made it much harder to accurately map that level, but I managed to do that in the end. Behold some bizzare screenshots:
floating tee
floating bumper (and the hole should be in the lower area)

edit: it affects Master Hole 18 as well.
Now I would be already done, if I didn't overwrite map 15 by mistake and I have to retake it -.-

Also lol Engrish
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:33 pm
Last edited by Tom on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Sorry for the quadruple post, but the good news is that the maps are all ready now.

Hm, by looking at them again it seems that the bug that shifts objects upwards affected other levels :(

*sigh* I will replay through all the levels to check what should be redone.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:58 pm
I suspect it's more likely to be a game bug than an emulation bug - did you try it on a real system?
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:17 pm
Maxim wrote
I suspect it's more likely to be a game bug than an emulation bug - did you try it on a real system?
I beat that game more than once when I was a little kid, but I never noticed that bug until now, as the objects don't move by more than a few pixels unless you move the camera in a certain way in certain holes, and it doesn't affect gameplay as the positions are restored every time a shot is made, so I can justify my 8 years old self if I didn't see that back then :)
That said, I will attempt to play it again on my Game Gear soon, I hope I will be able to actually see something since I've yet to perform the capacitor fix.

In the mean time, all the maps for the Master holes have been double checked and are ready to be uploaded. But I can't do that, if I go to the maps page and I try to edit it, my Firefox hangs up.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:03 am
Sounds like a Firefox problem at your end - it's fine for me.

I've added them all now.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!