Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Series

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Game Series
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:47 pm
I've added a new feature: game series linking. Here's a demo page:

http://www.smspower.org/Games/Ninkuu-GG

The three Ninkuu games now automatically link to each other in order. The next task is to think of other series we want to link together and to add the info!

How to add a series:

Option 1. You can't edit the site

Post in this thread with links to all the games in the series in order.

Option 2: You can edit the site

Create a page at GameSeries/SeriesName containing a bullet list of links to the game pages. There's a template to help with the syntax.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:22 pm
I have added the Alex Kidd saga, but... uh... it seems problematic... It shows links to all the SMS games... It's a bug or it's my fault? =S
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 pm
My fault :) Fixed now.

Note that it is possible for a game to be in more than one series, but until we have an example of that I haven't decided how to show that.

I added the Great sports series. Plenty of big series still remain...
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:54 pm
Maxim wrote
My fault :) Fixed now.

Note that it is possible for a game to be in more than one series, but until we have an example of that I haven't decided how to show that.

I added the Great sports series. Plenty of big series still remain...

An example could be a conflict between "Disney Games" and, say, "Mickey Mouse". But I don't know if such level of accuracy is the original idea for this new feature...

By the way, I have some questions concerning three sagas:

-Krusty's Fun House can be seen as part of The Simpsons saga (the oher two games being Bart Simpson's games)?
-Shadow Dancer has anything to do with Shinobi and Cyber Shinobi?
-Is Special Criminal Investigation a sequel to Chase H.Q.?

Thank you for your constant efforts with the web =) !
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:55 pm
I added the Shinobi serie, and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is in both. The list template should be adjusted to separate them.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:56 pm
We may want to clarify the delimitation with Tags, since we already have tags that series to some degree.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:50 pm
I felt the existing tags were not coping well with series, and especially lacked ordering. Series are by definition short lists (the Great Sports games should be the longest) and tags can be huge lists; so linking the whole series is sensible but tags are more hidden away behind a link.

I see "Disney games" and "Simpsons games" as tags, but Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Wonder Boy, Sonic all have a timeline (although possibly with some conflicts) and sometimes continuity between games. So we may want to remove some tags if they are completely redundant - e.g. do we include Sonic Drift, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Spinball in the Sonic series? If not, it is not redundant.

I added series titles to the game page display, so Alex Kidd in Shinobi World makes sense now. One possibility is to add freeform text to the series page and to make it linked from the game, if there is some talk about the overall series. The same is true of tags, of course. You can put freeform text in the series page without affecting the functionality (so long as the link comes after the bullet).

Right now the same game across platforms is not well handled as the link text is indistinguishable. I may add the system name to the display later. For example, Out Run is not easily readable.

I feel the "World Cup" and "Olympics" series are not worthwhile, as they are very short and not sequels. The Wimbledon series is borderline - I feel I should see them mentioned on each others' pages.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:51 pm
Yes, I agree, perhaps some sagas are very small to take into account, and other fit better with tags.

Hum... But I disagree with the inclusion of Alex Kidd In Shinobi World within the Shinobi saga... basically, because it's not a sequel to Shinobi nor Cyber Shinobi. And, by the way... has Shadow Dancer something to do with the Joe Mushashi saga?
Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:50 am
In Shadow Dancer it's Hayate, Joe's son. The Master System version is more accurate to the arcade original than the Mega Drive counterpart. The Mega Drive game although being a different game than the arcade and SMS versions, the japanese release also features Hayate, but in the western releases it was replaced by Joe Musashi himself.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!