SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Y2Kode Available

Reply to topic
Y2Kode Available
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:20 pm
All-

I was able to download the demos for Y2Kode 12 hours ago (last night for me) and just a few minutes ago (this morning).

I following this link: http://www.y2kode.com/

Then I'm clicking on "Coders" just to the right of the Y2Kode graphic at the top center of the page.

With Zoop's permission, I'll put his demo in the "Demos and Source Code" area this weekend. I'm assuming Heliophobe will put his demo on his SMS Workshop page.

--
Eric Quinn
  • Site Admin
I think you must be looking at a cached version
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:09 pm
> All-

> I was able to download the demos for Y2Kode 12 hours ago (last night for me) and just a few minutes ago (this morning).

> I following this link: http://www.y2kode.com/

> Then I'm clicking on "Coders" just to the right of the Y2Kode graphic at the top center of the page.

It was there 12 hours ago, in between then and now they had to remove the links (they all point to Ni****do.com). The files are still in their original locations, so if you look at the cached version and click the link you should be able to get all the entries.

So, SAVE THAT FILE if you can. I read on the y2kode forums that the links are still there but commented out, you can view source and get them that way, copying and pasting manually. so let me check on that...

why, ytes, it's true:

after each entry there's a link to Ni****do, followed by a commented out link like this:

<!--<a href="entries/damiana.zip" class="links">Download&lt/a>-->

so in this case the entry is at:
www.y2kode.com/entries/damiana.zip
  • Site Admin
Re: I think you must be looking at a cached version
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:11 pm
Darn it all
I actually went through and replaced the lesser than and greater than signs with the character entities, and it still made a link out of it.

[!--]a href="entries/damiana.zip" class="links"]Download[/a]-->]

replace []'s with LT and GT symbols as appropriate
Attempt to stuff Y2Kode page into a message...
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:41 pm
The following experiment could have disasterous effects:

Y2kode Entry Presentation

The y2kode entries are in. The coders have stopped typing, the clock has stopped ticking and we are ready to give you
a presentation of game and demos that will astound you. Sit back and enjoy while we present to you the Lik-Sang/Y2kode
coding competition entries...

Crash - Bt Garner (Mindrec Communications)

Crash is a new game for the PCEngine (TurboGrafx in the U. S.) It has been tested on multiple emulation environments as well on real gaming hardware using different copying devices (Magic Game Doctor 2, Magic Super Griffin, TurboRAM). If you choose to run Crash on real hardware, be sure to use the ROM image that is country appropriate for the hardware on which it will be running (crash_jp.pce for Japanese hardware, crash_us.pce for American hardware). Please note that there is no internal difference between the country versions, they are simply compiled differently to allow each to run (unmodified) on each country's respective systems.
SS1-SS2-SS3

Download

Krunch - Frank Caputo

Welcome to Krunch! You control a yellow bandana wearing hero who must eat up
all the pellets and gobble up the villains. This game features ten levels
grouped into
five sets of day and night scenes. Each set of levels is faster and tougher
then the last.
Do you think you have what it takes to pass all of them?
SS1

Download

MAU-V - Jason

I figured I would take a stab at coding something for the Turbo Graphix
16 since I keep getting horribly slaughtered in the Gameboy Color
contests. Plus there's a free compiler for the system.
The AI is pretty horrible, but oh well. It's my first project for the
system, and it doesn't quite have the compiling and speed as the GBC
does, but the game is still pretty cool in my opinion, and hopefully I
will do better than 14th out of 15th this time. Especially since I was
careful not to violate any copyright laws.

Download

Re: Attempt to stuff Y2Kode page into a message...
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:45 pm
It didn't work.

--
Eric Quinn
The best I can do...
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:55 pm
Here's the links. Sorry there's no text to describe the demo or system, but I don't really have time for all that:

GypPlay-y2kode-final.zip

burrito.zip

shuffle64.zip

FinalBlade.zip

DRYMTH-L.zip

COSMICA.zip

PerplexDX.zip

superninja.zip

drunken_pooper.zip

oyd11_lsd.zip

Fxshootr.zip

Kitty%20Quest%20(Lik%20Sang%20Entry).zip

svensang.zip

chuckie.zip

Stalker.zip

warpgate.zip

haploose.zip

damiana.zip

rtc.zip

ooga2.zip

crash100.zip

krunch10.pce

Mau-v.zip

--
Eric Quinn
Yeah feel free to put everything's up :) *nt*
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:24 pm
> All-

> I was able to download the demos for Y2Kode 12 hours ago (last night for me) and just a few minutes ago (this morning).

> I following this link: http://www.y2kode.com/

> Then I'm clicking on "Coders" just to the right of the Y2Kode graphic at the top center of the page.

> With Zoop's permission, I'll put his demo in the "Demos and Source Code" area this weekend. I'm assuming Heliophobe will put his demo on his SMS Workshop page.

> --
> Eric Quinn
  • Site Admin
crap...
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:41 pm

> damiana.zip

And there was mine, I just realized it's the very with a VERY short level (the full level is still in the rom, I just cut it short to test the 'Well Done' message).

I think I submitted both versions, and hopefully there's some record of me submitting the right one before the deadline so it can be changed, otherwise I guess I'm out of luck.

Durn it!
  • Site Admin
Slightly annotated version
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:48 pm
I've listed what system (or guessed :o) and the file size. The SMS ones are near the bottom.

> GypPlay-y2kode-final.zip I think this plays dumped Mega Drive music, I din't bother downloading it.
> burrito.zip Bad link :o(
> shuffle64.zip N64 (I think), 941KB
> FinalBlade.zip GBC, 124KB
> DRYMTH-L.zip Bad link :o(
> COSMICA.zip GB, 9KB
> PerplexDX.zip GBC, 48KB
> superninja.zip GBC, 16KB
> drunken_pooper.zip GB, 45KB
> oyd11_lsd.zip GBC, 25KB
> Fxshootr.zip GBC, 151KB
> Kitty%20Quest%20(Lik%20Sang 20Entry).zip GBC, 167KB
> svensang.zipGB, 207KB
> chuckie.zip GBC, 19KB
> Stalker.zip GBC, 29KB
> warpgate.zip Playstation, 270KB
> haploose.zip SMS, 18KB. Zoop's.
> damiana.zip SMS, 7KB. Heliophobe's, see his post below - bad luck!
> rtc.zip NES, 24KB
> ooga2.zip Mega Drive, 74KB
> crash100.zip PCE, 63KB
> krunch10.pce PCE, I'm guessing
> Mau-v.zip PCE, 161KB

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Bah, ignore that one
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 9:50 pm
The links now work on the official page, except for GBC games. Odd that Ni****do don't care about the N64 entry.

GypPlay-y2kode-final.zip DC MPEG player (736KB)
burritro.zip Fixed link DC intro
shuffle64.zip N64 game, 941KB
FinalBlade.zip GBC, 124KB
DRYMTH-L.zip Bad link :o( GBC, anyway.
COSMICA.zip GBC, 9KB
PerplexDX.zip GBC, 48KB
superninja.zip GBC, 16KB
drunken_pooper.zip GBC, 45KB
oyd11_lsd.zip GBC, 25KB
Fxshootr.zip GBC, 151KB
Kitty%20Quest%20(Lik%20Sang 20Entry).zip GBC, 167KB
svensang.zipGB, 207KB
chuckie.zip GBC, 19KB
Stalker.zip GBC, 29KB
warpgate.zip Playstation, 270KB
haploose.zip SMS, 18KB. Zoop's.
damiana.zip SMS, 7KB. Heliophobe's, see his post below - bad luck!
rtc.zip NES, 24KB
ooga2.zip Mega Drive, 74KB
crash100.zip PCE, 63KB
krunch10.pce PCE, 232KB
Mau-v.zip PCE, 161KB

Maxim
Robearbellie
I think I know why GBC is still off...
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 2:57 am
> The links now work on the official page, except for GBC games. Odd that Ni****do don't care about the N64 entry.

I think I may know why only the GBC are still off limit. One GBC game svensang.zip which contains contest.gb is ripped off of another game, Ultima III. The author also released the same game but with Ultima III title screen through the Gameboy binary group. The gameplay and everything is very similiar to the computer version. Someone even mentiuoned this question on Y2Kode message board, under Rules topic.

Origin still owned the right, and I think Ni****do is being a bit ansty about copyright issues.

vecna
Re: crap...
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 6:53 am
> And there was mine, I just realized it's the very with a VERY short level (the full level is still in the rom, I just cut it short to test the 'Well Done' message).

Very impressive work! Is the fixed version of the ROM on the web anywhere? ^_~

- vecna

I was wondering..
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 8:36 am
Because yes, the actual level is really really short.:(

>
> > damiana.zip

> And there was mine, I just realized it's the very with a VERY short level (the full level is still in the rom, I just cut it short to test the 'Well Done' message).

> I think I submitted both versions, and hopefully there's some record of me submitting the right one before the deadline so it can be changed, otherwise I guess I'm out of luck.

> Durn it!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 11:10 am
> > And there was mine, I just realized it's the very with a VERY short level (the full level is still in the rom, I just cut it short to test the 'Well Done' message).

> Very impressive work! Is the fixed version of the ROM on the web anywhere? ^_~

There is now.

It's not exactly much better, just longer.

It looks like the short version is going to remain the version that gets judged. Dammit to hell, that is going to cost me.
vecna
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 5:38 pm

> There is now.

Christ almighty, it's hard. :)
- vecna

• Site Admin
So was I
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 7:35 pm
Erm... how to put this... there's only one o in loser. Whoops. I think I saw a few spelling errers/tpyos in the text too, but the 8-pixel scrolling made it really hard to read :o) Oh, and thanks for my namecheck!

Maxim
Looser, tighter, tighter, looser...
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 8:40 pm
> Erm... how to put this... there's only one o in loser. Whoops. I think I saw a few spelling errers/tpyos in the text too, but the 8-pixel scrolling made it really hard to read :o) Oh, and thanks for my namecheck!

I thought it was happy looser - as opposed to tighter. You know, as in hanging loose or whatever. Never mind :-)

Mike
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 8:49 pm
> It looks like the short version is going to remain the version that gets judged. Dammit to hell, that is going to cost me.

Well, with the short version you don't realise how hard it is :o)

Anyway, meandering to the point, I think I found a bug, maybe. The ship gets stuck to the bottom of the screen, I have left and right but no up or down. I have a savestate if you want it.

Oh, and what zip software did you use? I can't get Meka to load the game from inside your zip(s), but they're perfectly good zipfiles. Re-zipping solves it.

And, while I'm here, what's the name of this creation? The stuff inside says "Unnamed Shootemup Game" but it's also called "Damiana" (hmm, what does that mean? Aha! Aphrodisiac drug references, just what you'd expect...). I'm guessing you couldn't be bothered/forgot to go update the internal version info... I always do.

Maxim
Hit me
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:22 pm
Man, I feel dumb. I meant 'loser'.
What a stupid mistake :(

Also sorry for your eyes and the 8 pixels scrolling. I just didn't have time to make a real one. Maybe next time!
  • Site Admin
Nah
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:25 pm
> I thought it was happy looser - as opposed to tighter. You know, as in hanging loose or whatever. Never mind :-)

No, you have to damage your retinas and brain by reading the scrolling text. Preferably from as far away from the monitor as possible. Zoop realised that February only has 28 days (the deadline being March 1st) so he had to bust a gut just to get anything together, and the SMS entries are in the same category as PCE, which has way more docs and devtools. So he's not expecting to win at all, but he loves his SMS, so he's a happy loser. As opposed to Heliophobe, who's a mightily p'd off loser (probably).

Maxim

"Second place? That's a fancy word for losing!" - Bender
  • Site Admin
not crap!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:34 pm
> > It looks like the short version is going to remain the version that gets judged. Dammit to hell, that is going to cost me.
> Well, with the short version you don't realise how hard it is :o)

Luckily the administrator decided to let me use the bug fix version, as the only difference was the deletion of three bytes, and there was a problem with the web based submission form (or, I had a problem with it, I dunno).
Phew!

> Anyway, meandering to the point, I think I found a bug, maybe. The ship gets stuck to the bottom of the screen, I have left and right but no up or down. I have a savestate if you want it.

Let me see if it happens to me, I have some idea about what would cause that.

> Oh, and what zip software did you use? I can't get Meka to load the game from inside your zip(s), but they're perfectly good zipfiles. Re-zipping solves it.

Hmm. WinZip 7.0 with 'Maximum Compression'.

> And, while I'm here, what's the name of this creation? The stuff inside says "Unnamed Shootemup Game" but it's also called "Damiana" (hmm, what does that mean? Aha! Aphrodisiac drug references, just what you'd expect...). I'm guessing you couldn't be bothered/forgot to go update the internal version info... I always do.

Well, I 'named' it just before I submitted it. I changed the SDSC info (I think) but not the text at the beginning, which I suppose I intended to remove altogether since the SDSC tag pretty much takes its place. And renamed the rom from 'Shooter.sms'.

An aphrodisiac, hmm? I named it after the unpleasant tea I was drinking when I was getting it ready to submit it. I had picked it up as an experiment at a Mexican grovery store. Not very good, and if it does have aphrodisiac qualities it was wasted on me.

I went with the name because I needed one, and it had the nice sound of a made-up word used as a title of a japanese shootemup that was trying not to sound too japanese (like 'Darius' or 'Sagaia')
  • Site Admin
Re: Nah
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:36 pm
> No, you have to damage your retinas and brain by reading the scrolling text. Preferably from as far away from the monitor as possible. Zoop realised that February only has 28 days (the deadline being March 1st) so he had to bust a gut just to get anything together, and the SMS entries are in the same category as PCE, which has way more docs and devtools. So he's not expecting to win at all, but he loves his SMS, so he's a happy loser. As opposed to Heliophobe, who's a mightily p'd off loser (probably).

Well, I've accepted the inevitable more or less. I don't know how much they take into account the system's capabilities and the tools available for it. I was hoping they'd judge it like they do olympic dives, with a high point scale for more difficult entries.

or something.
  • Site Admin
Re: not crap!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 11:04 pm
> > Oh, and what zip software did you use? I can't get Meka to load the game from inside your zip(s), but they're perfectly good zipfiles. Re-zipping solves it.

> Hmm. WinZip 7.0 with 'Maximum Compression'.

I'll experiment a bit... although I have 8.0. It is a free upgrade, you know :o)

> > And, while I'm here, what's the name of this creation? The stuff inside says "Unnamed Shootemup Game" but it's also called "Damiana" (hmm, what does that mean? Aha! Aphrodisiac drug references, just what you'd expect...). I'm guessing you couldn't be bothered/forgot to go update the internal version info... I always do.

> Well, I 'named' it just before I submitted it. I changed the SDSC info (I think) but not the text at the beginning, which I suppose I intended to remove altogether since the SDSC tag pretty much takes its place. And renamed the rom from 'Shooter.sms'.

Your SDSC header's in the wrong place... that's why I didn't notice it, despite the fact that it's plain to see now. It should be at 7FE0 :o)

> An aphrodisiac, hmm? I named it after the unpleasant tea I was drinking when I was getting it ready to submit it. I had picked it up as an experiment at a Mexican grovery store.

Are you sure you didn't get some odd looks from the person behind the counter? :oD

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!