[VGM pack] Line of Fire
Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:20 pm
Pack's page:
http://www.smspower.org/Music/LineOfFire-SMS
1.01 published
Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:21 pm
Cover added.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:21 pm
Teruhiko Nakagawa did not compose for this game (how the hell did the pack creators make that mistake?), as he joined Sega in 1994.

Updated pack to 1.05.
LineOfFire-SMS.zip (70.55 KB)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:12 pm
Sega Retro lists the composer as Hikoshi_Hashimoto. (as Hiko)
A wikipedia page lists only M.A. which seems to be the composer for the arcade version.

I am not familiar with this game. The credits screenshot here on smspower credits Hiko, so it is likely Hashimoto. The only reason I can imagine is that someone noted that there was a "hiko" in Teruhiko Nakagawa and made a facile conclusion that it was an alias. This kind of assumption is frowned upon at smspower, as it can create errors that remain ovelooked for some time. It is better to list nothing at all, than something mistaken.

Smspower is a bit more conservative than other sites, so this tends not to happen on the main info page. It's very easy for mistaken information to propagate across many different sites giving it an air of credibility it does not deserve. I've come across a few examples where this has happened. For that reason, I tend to trust the information listed here since it tends to get checked. There generally has to be some proof. Saying you spoke to the composer might pass, particularly if you've established credibility, but I like that sources you can check are usually required. I'd rather list nothing than something that may be wrong and is unlikely to be checked later.

For this game, it would be good to check the arcade music. If the sms version has similar sounding music (sometimes there are alterations, but you can recognize the original) then it would be good to tag this pack with M.A and Hashimoto as composers, and list as original composer and arranger respectively in the text and vgm page. FYI Hashimoto was the arranger for David Wise's music for GG Battletoads, so this may not be an unlikely outcome.

If the music is completely, or largely original, then Hashimoto should be listed as the composer. It might be appropriate to tag each track separately with the correct info.

This is a bit more than I am inclined to take on atm, but if someone familiar with the game can provide some leads or better context (arcade came out in '89, sms in '91) I might eventually dive in.

drdevilfx thanks for noting this error. normally packs are not updated just to remove offending info without correcting the error if possible. Also, unless the work done takes at least one hour, we normally don't credit ourselves for quick work. If however, someone goes through each track, and confirms who did what, and retags appropriately, it probably would be appropriate.

It is good to announce when a change is made though, even if small- the public should be notified of any changes to a pack. It would be a good opportunity to seek out if any arcade or other system has an ost for the game or if the composer has released any anthologies that include tracks from this game and to update with official titles where possible.

Might look into that later, there may be something on vgmdb or similar site.
Version 1.06
Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:38 am
Updated the composer- Hikoshi Hashimoto is indeed the "Hiko" credited in-game, as the game shows up on Hashimoto's website as well. The Arcade soundtrack (by Minoru "M.A" Aoki) has some similar songs but I think is ultimately different to this version, so I think a sole credit to Hashimoto is proper.

I included drdevilfx's contribution in the package history, although I didn't actually use the VGMs from that pack update- they seem to be broken for me somehow.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!