Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Complete EUR SC-3000 Library?

Reply to topic
Complete EUR SC-3000 Library?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:02 pm
Hi,

Does anyone here have a "definitive" list of SC-3000 cartridges released in Europe? Below is a list that I have gathered from various sources:

Basic Level III A+
Basic Level III A v1.1+?
Basic Level III B+
Borderline
Champion Boxing
Champion Golf
Champion Tennis
Congo Bongo
Exerion
Golgo 13?
Lode Runner
Monaco GP
Music+
N-Sub
Orguss
Pacar
Pop Flamer
Safari Hunting
Safari Race
Sega Flipper
Sindbad Mystery
Star Jacker
Yamato

That makes 23 total. The ones with "+" in the end came with additional stuff in addition to case, cart and manual. Those with "?" in the end I've never seen a pic of myself.

I used search and found a mention by Anagrama of a total of 24 games. That would mean that at least one game is missing from my list, and possibly more if those with "?" don't exist.

Any ideas?
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:45 pm
Evening all, long time no see etc...

Just came across this thread - I've checked my records, and my list was as follows:

B-30 Basic Level IIIA
B-40 Basic Level IIIB
E-101 Music
G-1001 Borderline
G-1002 Safari Hunting
G-1003 N-Sub
G-1005 Champion Golf
G-1007 Congo Bongo
G-1008 Yamato
G-1009 Champion Tennis
G-1010 Star Jacker
G-1011 Champion Baseball
G-1012 Sindbad Mystery
G-1014 Golgo 13
G-1015 Orguss
G-1017 Monaco GP
G-1018 Sega Flipper
G-1019 Pop Flamer
G-1020 Pacar
G-1028 Exerion
G-1031 Lode Runner
G-1032 Safari Race
G-1033 Champion Boxing
G-1034 Champion Soccer

I had 18 of the 24 by the time I quit collecting.

I never saw a copy of Champion Soccer for sale, but there was/is a picture of the EU box on a Japanese SG website (I'd imagine Bock knows the site I mean - I will probably have found it from a link on here).

I saw Golgo 13 once in a large bundle on French eBay years ago, but didn't realise how rare it was at the time. It was in a large box like all the other EU releases and had no Japanese subtitle. Stupidly, I failed to save the pic (pretty sure I've got, or at least did have, pics of all the rest).

Champion Baseball definitely exists - it's top-right in the attached pic (my former SG collection in all it's glory).

Not sure about Basic 1.1 - if it's just a ROM variation rather than box variation, I didn't keep track of it on my lists.

Hope that helps!
SG1K.jpg (160.75 KB)
SG1K.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:57 pm
Aha, just found pics of Champion Soccer & a better one of Champiion Baseball :)
SC3000 baseball.jpg (76.86 KB)
SC3000 baseball.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:25 am
I bought European golgo 13 in a french flea market a long time ago, i don't know where i put it though..but it definitely exists. I didn't know the french version was that rare...?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:45 am
I added the games release infos to the database (not Music or Basic as they have no entry yet). Note that there's no way yet to list DB entries per region so you can't directly see the list, but we'll probably add that later.

I haven't paid much attention on researching that, but what do you guys knows about the state of SC-3000 games releases in various countries?

I am under the vague impression that games were only released in France and Italia. Were they spotted elsewhere? Are all 24 softs equally available in both countries, or others?

Many of my games have french-only manuals.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:54 am
Also note that Star Jacker has two very minor ROM variations (indistinguisable from box/manual AFAIK) and Basic Level III A has both versions 1.0 and 1.1.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:13 pm
Bock wrote
I am under the vague impression that games were only released in France and Italia. Were they spotted elsewhere? Are all 24 softs equally available in both countries, or others?

Finland too, I believe, or at least some part of Scandinavia. Can't remember seeing any Finnish releases, but there was a promotional SC-3000 poster I saw ages ago with Finnish text on it - it was probably posted on here somewhere. There was also a Finnish collector who confirmed that the SC-3000 system at least was sold there.

No idea whether there were regional release differences - I suspect some of the rarer carts may only have been in certain areas, but that's just a hunch. The vast majority of mine were French with the typed instructions, but a few (probably Italian copies) had 4-language manuals. Actually, you can probably tell which of mine were French or Italian from any of the scans I submitted here - the French ones all had "Distributed by Yeno" stickers on the back of the boxes.
Not sure if I'm imagining this or not either, but I've got a vague memory of seeing some Italian manuals that looked like those early Italian SMS manuals too...

I also saw a few mentions over the years of the SC-3000 being distributed in Saudi Arabia, but other than a few loose systems the "arabiancomputers" guy (might have the name slightly wrong there) sold on eBay, usually with loose JP carts or cards, I never saw anything more about it.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:20 pm
Here's the Finnish ad poster: http://personal.inet.fi/koti/chriss/peliesite.html
I found it linked from this old thread: http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8658

(Buck Rogers?!)

(*MOD* Attachment fairy)
Nettiesite2.jpg (58.89 KB)
Nettiesite2.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:50 am
Finland coincides with the fact that I got some dumps from Lasse from the group Image/Helsinki/Finland (which provided many early dumps released here).

(February 1999)

I dumped nothing. Some of my friends dumped them. I think they dumped
most of these:

baseball.sg     16384   1-01-80   0:00 champion base ball
basic31.sc      32768   1-01-80   0:00 basic level 3 ver 1.0 export version
borderli.sg     16384   1-01-80   0:00 borderline
congobon.sg     32768   1-01-80   0:00 congo bongo
flicky.sg       32768   1-01-80   0:00 flicky
flipper.sg      16384   1-01-80   0:00 flipper
girlsgar.sg     32768   1-01-80   0:00 girl's garden
golf.sg         32768   1-01-80   0:00 champion golf
monacogp.sg     40960   1-01-80   0:00 monaco gp
music.sc        32768   1-01-80   0:00 music
nsub.sg         16384   1-01-80   0:00 n-sub
orguss.sg       32768   1-01-80   0:00 orguss
pacar.sg        16384   1-01-80   0:00 pacar
popflame.sg     16384   1-01-80   0:00 pop flamer
purinses.sg     32768   1-01-80   0:00 ninja purinsesu
roretta.sg     131072   1-01-80   0:00 rorettano shouzou
safarihu.sg     16384   1-01-80   0:00 safari hunting
safarira.sg     32768   1-01-80   0:00 safari race
sindbad.sg      32768   1-01-80   0:00 sindbad mystery
starjack.sg     32768   1-01-80   0:00 star jacker
tennis.sg       16384   1-01-80   0:00 champion tennis
yamato.sg       16384   1-01-80   0:00 yamato

They also converted some NES and VIC20 games for PC Engine. When I asked
about the releases (after first PCE emu appeared), the one who coded them
remembered almost nothing.

Most of those SC/SG ROMs were dumped over ten years ago so I think they
remember nothing. I'll ask.

Note that I could never extract more detailed information about "Image". Lasse visited me in Paris at some point.

So note that those games are Japanese games, but:
- I guess they initially get interested in SC-3000 because it was available in their country.
- Their N-Sub dump has the title screen hacked to say "1988" instead of "1983". I don't know if its a dump from a legit cartridge or a manual hack applied later, althogh all the European cartridges I found so far where 1983.

As for Arabi Saudia I don't know, but (and I've mentionned that a few times already) I remember that around 1988 shops in Egypt, Cairo had lots of SC-3000 games available. My friend had a SC-3000 with plenty of Japanese games (eg: I remember Dragon Wang) although he might have imported it from Australia I can't remember. Anyway those shops in Cairo definitively had games and I bought the Japanese version of Hyper Sports there back then (when I thought it would function on a SMS).
Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:42 am
Found my Golgo 13. Do you need me to scan it? How is it worth? I might consider to sell it as I collect in japanese..
Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:02 pm
First of all, thanks Anagrama and others for the info.

I just noticed that Flicky is missing from the list, so that would make 25 total.

I recently bought three games from France. The boxes were the European ones with the French sticker as expected, but all the carts had full color label/sticker with a picture on it. Can anyone confirm that are these original EUR carts or maybe JAP carts in EUR/French box (though I don't know that would JAP carts even function correctly in an EUR/PAL console)?

So far I've been only able to find (earlier?) games with English only on the back in Finland. They all have similar English only blue and white manual leaflets. The one game I own with 4 languages on the back also has 4 languages in the blue and white manual. The French one with English only on the back had a white A5 sheet with black text for a manual.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:31 am
Would you be able to list up the games to could find in Finland, and make take pictures?
Do you have a N-Sub from Finland? If so I'd like to know the date it shows on the title screen. Thanks a lot.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:50 pm
The carts I have acquired from Finland are as follows: Basic Level III B, Borderline, Champion Golf, Champion Tennis, Music, N-Sub, Pacar, Pop Flamer, Safari Hunting, Sega Flipper, Sindbad Mystery, Star Jacker, Yamato.

I've been interested in SC-3000 for 1-2 years now, and on the few occasions when related stuff has popped up here in Finland I don't remember seeing any other carts for sale. Sunny (a member on this forum also) seems to be the authority on SC-3000 in Finland, but I've been unable to contact him.

What kind of pics would you like, just general or like those scans on the site? Boxes of many of my games have certainly seen better days. I don't own a decent camera, but I might be able to borrow one.

I just got an SC-3000 that might still be working (a fuse has blown at least), I'll be able to test that on Sunday. If it works, I'll let you know the date in N-Sub.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:29 pm
I replaced the fuse and finally got myself a working SC-3000!

I took some general pics of all my games, I can upload them but I don't think there's anything new in them to anyone.

The date on the N-Sub is 1983 as expected. Here's the proof:

61453_nsub_122_1173lo.jpg (146.29 KB)
Attachment fairy
61453_nsub_122_1173lo.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:10 pm
Thought I dig up this thread since I've been able to obtain a few games lately:

Sorry for the reflection, didn't really have time or space for a better shot. Now I'm only missing Monaco GP and Champion Boxing of the "common" games.

In general, there are two types of instructions (excluding French/Yeno games): English only or four languages (same as on the back of the box). An exception to this is Champion Tennis, which has English on one side and Japanese on the other.

Some EUR carts I've got have only text on the label, some have that full color picture. I've seen both kinds on Star Jacker and Sindbad Mystery at least. Maybe the full color ones are from a later batch?

Then a couple of points:

1) EUR Basic Level II A

Does EUR Basic Level II A exist actually? IIRC, this pic is originally from this forum:

That doesn't look like a Grandstand or John Sands variant to me. Of course it may have never been made available in Europe. This is the only instance I've ever seen a non-Japanese Level II A.

I also found notes about three Basics available in Finland: Basic 0.5K, Basic 12K and Basic 26K. This text comes probably from an old ad or catalog. Basic 12K seems to refer to Level III A and 26K to Level III B (available RAM respectively). I don't know how much Level II A leaves available, but 0.5K sounds really low.

2) French/Yeno releases

In addition to planting the sticker on the back, Yeno replaced the manual of the English only games with a french A5 sheet:

The four language manuals were left intact since they included French already.

It certainly seems that the Yeno games were standard EUR releases originally, meaning that a standard "non-Yeno" variant of each would exist (unless the whole batch of a game would have been shipped to France). It may be impossible to define how many different Yeno releases there are, unless a Yeno release of each is found.

It seems that Yeno also imported Japanese game(s), added the sticker and replaced the manual (pic from ebay):

*MOD* Attachment fairy.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:21 am
pretty cool stuff, thanks for sharing.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:40 pm
Hi guys,

Chose to use my old thread on this. I recently got Champion Baseball and what surprised me was the manual. I bought this from a Finnish guy and he said he found it on a flea market. So I think it's very likely that it was imported to Finland with the Italian manual originally.

Accidentally, I just found Pop Flamer with an Italian manual on eBay, so it seems that at least some games got optional Italian manuals. So, I was wondering:

Have you seen Italian manuals for any other games?

Have you ever seen English manual for EUR Champion Baseball?
cb.jpg (221.29 KB)
EUR Champion Baseball
cb.jpg
IT_Pop_Flamer.jpg (36.59 KB)
IT Pop Flamer
IT_Pop_Flamer.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:34 pm
I have got an Italian manual for Sega Flipper.
Hello World!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:29 am
Hi, I'm back! If you have anything to ask about the Finnish SC-3000 carts just let me know. I had them all back in the day and now I've got nearly everything including those Grandstand cassette tape games from Australia etc.

A Finnish Computer Magazine Mikrobitti published some type-in programs for the Sega SC 3000. That's all there is regarding Finnish made Sega games. There were at least a quite nice and playable space shmup and a synth program emulating piano in those programs.

My scan is already in this topic. That covers all the cart games we had in Finland. We also had the cassette tape games and programs from John Sands and Grandstand. One of my favorites was Environoid.

All the original Finnish games sold through 'Datas Sytems' had English manuals except games like Orguss that were direct imports from Japan with the smaller game box. I recently moved so I can't provde an instant picture of my games but I can assure you that I do not have Italian manuals :). Some games like Pop Flamer had Finnish instructions in a separate paper, though. The importer was 'Data Systems' as you can see from the scan. They also had a price list with all the games and peripherals like the joysticks, cassette player, disk drive, steering wheel (For Monaco Gp) etc.

We had all kinds of 8-bit computers for sale in Finland in those days including (but not limited to) Oric, Memotech, Spectrum, Spectravideo SVI-318,328, Sega SC-3000 and later on MSX etc. but Commodore 64 was by far the most popular computer here and the rest was peanuts.

Sega SC 3000 got some good reviews in the local computer magazines and the games got good reviews too. All in all it was somewhat popular machine but not even nearly as popular as Spectravideo, Amstrad or the allmighty C64.

Especially the Japanese companies liked to try out their new computers in a limited market like the New Zealand and Australia as it resembles the UK market in a smaller scale so they could figure out what will sell. It is stated that most companies had similiar interests in Finland as it resembles the European market in a smaller scale. That may well be the reason we got so good coverage of all the 8-bit machines.

Incidentally, Sega SC 3000 had a couple of promo machines in Germany but it was never officially sold there.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:16 pm
Can you compile a list, which games had a finnish manual or at some other point (a Box label like from Yeno or similar?) to identify that these were really finnish releases?
Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:56 pm
Does anybody scanned all this europe manuals? It would be interesting to read them...
Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 pm
Found this list on a german site that seems to try and include everything

http://www.master-system.info/palsgscspiele.htm

There's scans for an italian booklet of star jacker, attached it.

I don't know how they ended with their lists, but the french/italian lists of game cartidges is pretty interesting as they are different.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:24 pm
I started adding the known Italian releases to this list:
https://www.smspower.org/Games-Releases/SG-EU

(I have Congo Bongo, Pop Flamer, Sega Flipper and Star Jacker.)

Should work out a list of the French releases as well.
Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:05 pm
I have found a champion tennis italian manual (unfortunately it's in extremely bad condition T_T )
Will post a picture this evening.
Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:31 pm
Just starting my journey on the European releases. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated. So far by just have a European property of Congo Bongo.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:07 pm
Newly discovered (I think ?)
Basic with italian manual by Melchioni (the early italian distributor)
s-l1600.jpg (178.26 KB)
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg (133.28 KB)
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:23 pm
Kenneth wrote
Newly discovered (I think ?)
Basic with italian manual by Melchioni (the early italian distributor)

Very nice buddy. I decided to just start going for the Japanese versions as the EU ones were just too rare and I was a little impatient. This looks great
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!