Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - The Game Gear unlicensed/pirate/bootleg cartridge picture/infos thread

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  • Site Admin
Bootleg Prince of Persia
Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:43 pm
Last edited by Bock on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Prince of Persia

by ACT ?
(H.T.H. version?)

「アリパパ伝説」(Alipapa Densetsu ~ Legend of Alipapa.. probably should be "Alibaba" :)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:16 pm
Legend of Alipapa? I don't think that was an official title.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:40 am
KingMike wrote
Legend of Alipapa? I don't think that was an official title.

Haha yeah, I even hadn't noticed the typo when first reading it :)

Non-japanese readers: アリババ(Alibaba) vs アリパパ (Alipapa)
Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:39 am
Gear For Games wrote
That's a genuine cart. Not all Sega games had licence information printed on the cart. Many of the games will look like this. Just a centred chip, maybe 2 capacitors, that's all.

Sorry for bumping and old thread. This is exactly the question I wanted to ask, about legit-looking games that have a back shell with only "MADE IN JAPAN" and no patent information.

So, are these made in a different factory? Why would they omit the patents, since there are older releases which come in normal shells with patent info? I understand if these were the very earliest releases, but it seems to be not so clear...

thanks
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:46 pm
I have started to try organizing the data I have on bootleg GG games, notably "HG XXX-XX" releases. There's a large amount of holes.

If you own bootlegs notably "HG XXX-XX" ones with "HTH" stickers or bevel on the cartridge, could you post a list of your games here along with their product number (the reference on the side), maybe some photo overview of the games?

Thank you.
Capture.JPG (441.19 KB)
Capture.JPG

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:07 pm
Some more GG bootlegs.
gg ax battler.jpg (128.2 KB)
gg ax battler.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:07 am
A few more for the list, Afterburner is an SMS conversion and the other is a nice boxed multi cart.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:46 am
I have now taken a photo of all of my GG bootlegs to help me with referencing them.
gg bootlegs.jpg (375.61 KB)
gg bootlegs.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:56 pm
Looking back at your message from 9 years ago https://www.smspower.org/forums/post77271#77271

Gear For Games wrote
2 more multi games and R-Type SMS hack.

I'm curious about this one: https://www.smspower.org/forums/download.php?id=6362

Does it have a menu? Does it use a push-button on the cartridge to switch games?

I'm asking because I have one with a pushbutton and no menu that appears to have the same label, but I didn't see a button on yours and the box suggests it may have a menu.

edit: the same one is also shown on https://www.game-gear.de/specials/unlgames.htm under "Super Gear 20 in 1", I believe. Given the "超級强卡 Gear 20 in 1" label maybe we should call it that too (or Super Powerful Card Gear 20 in 1, perhaps?)
Cartridge Front (again) - Gear 20 in 1 (Unl).jpg (1.33 MB)
this is the one I have
Cartridge Front (again) - Gear 20 in 1 (Unl).jpg
2011_0619_075620aa_190.jpg (1.42 MB)
yours that I am curious about
2011_0619_075620aa_190.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:04 pm
RSTRO FLASH and JOE MACHINECUN
Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:30 pm
not to mention
Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:02 pm
Last edited by bsittler on Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingMike wrote
RSTRO FLASH and JOE MACHINECUN

sverx wrote
not to mention

Indeed, this thing is full of typos: (apologies in case I managed to introduce additional errors during transcription or attempted translation)

01. NINJA GAIDEN / 01. 忍者外傳 (i.e. "Ninja Gaiden"); it's [GG] Ninja Gaiden (Japan) with one byte changed to deface the Sega logo
02. HALLEY WARS / 02. 哈雷慧星 (i.e. "Halley's comet"); it's [GG] Halley Wars (Japan)
03. HEAVY WEIGHT CHAMP / 03. 拳擊手 (i.e. "boxer"); it's [GG] Heavy Weight Champ (Japan)
04. ALIEN SYNDROME / 04. 異形風暴 (i.e. "Alien Storm"); it's [GG] Alien Syndrome (Japan)
05. RSTRO FLASH [typo for ASTRO FLASH] / 05. 噴射機 (i.e. "jet machine"); it's [SMS] Astro Flash (Japan) with some changes
06. 青春スキャンタル [typo for 青春スキャンダル, i.e. "Seishun Scandal"] / 06. 青春爭霸賽 (i.e. "youth competition"); it's [SMS] Seishun Scandal (Japan)
07. SPY VS SPY / 07. 諜對諜 (i.e. "spy vs. spy"); it's [SMS] Spy vs Spy (Japan)
08. BANK PANIC / 08. 銀行大盗 [simplification/typo of 銀行大盜, i.e. "bank robber"]; it's [SMS] Bank Panic (Europe) with one byte changed
09. TEDDY BOY BLUES / 09. 擲骰小子 (i.e. "dice kid"); it's [SMS] Teddy Boy Blues (Japan)
10. GHOST HOUSE / 10. 鬼屋歷險記 (i.e. "haunted house adventures"); it's [SMS] Ghost House (Japan)
11. SATELLITE 7 / 11. 衛星七號 (i.e. "satellite seven"); it's [SMS] Satellite 7 (Japan)
12. HANG·ON / 12. 電單車賽 (i.e. "motorcycle race"); it's [SMS] Hang On (Europe)
13. SOCCER / 13. 足球 (i.e. "soccer" or "football"); it's [SMS] Great Soccer (Japan)
14. TENNIS / 14. 網球 (i.e. "tennis"); it's [SMS] Super Tennis (USA, Europe)
15. GREAT BASEBALL / 15. 超任棒球 [typo for 超仼棒球, i.e. "super baseball"]; it's [SMS] Great Baseball (Japan)
16. PIT POT / 16. 英雄救美 (i.e. "hero saves the beauty"); it's [SMS] Fushigi no Oshiro Pit Pot (Japan)
17. COLUMNS / 17. 寶石方塊 (i.e. "gem cube", a name by which Columns is sometimes known in Chinese); it's [GG] Columns (Japan) (En) (Rev 1)
 8. PENGO [typo for 18.] / 18. 企鵝推水 (i.e. "penguin pushes water"; possibly typo for 企鵝推冰, i.e. "penguin pushes ice" or "Pengo"); it's [GG] Pengo (Japan) with one byte changed
 9. WOODY POP [typo for 19.] / 19. 玩具磚王 (i.e. "toy brick king"); it's [GG] Woody Pop (Japan) (En)
 0. JOE MACHINECUN [typo for 20. JOE MACHINEGUN] / 20. 機關槍掃射 (i.e. "machine gun strafing"); it's [SMS] Comical Machine Gun Joe (Japan)

Some character choices suggest a possible Hong Kong origin, e.g. 電單車 for motorcycle.

In each game the cartridge supports Sega-compatible mapping using (at least) registers FFFE and FFFF.

edit: fixed Chinese transcription and attempted translation for 19. 玩具磚王 (i.e. "toy brick king")
Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:36 pm
bsittler wrote
Looking back at your message from 9 years ago https://www.smspower.org/forums/post77271#77271

Gear For Games wrote
2 more multi games and R-Type SMS hack.

I'm curious about this one: https://www.smspower.org/forums/download.php?id=6362

Does it have a menu? Does it use a push-button on the cartridge to switch games?

I'm asking because I have one with a pushbutton and no menu that appears to have the same label, but I didn't see a button on yours and the box suggests it may have a menu.

edit: the same one is also shown on https://www.game-gear.de/specials/unlgames.htm under "Super Gear 20 in 1", I believe. Given the "超級强卡 Gear 20 in 1" label maybe we should call it that too (or Super Powerful Card Gear 20 in 1, perhaps?)

I have that cartridge too

The button cycles thru the games. When I bought it (back in 1997), most of the Master System games didn't work. After a few years, the cartridge started malfunctioning. It seems as if it started on SMS mode ever if it was a GG game and hung up soon after the Sega logo.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!