Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS/GG/Colecovision rip format

Reply to topic
SMS/GG/Colecovision rip format
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 pm
Kevin Horton just designed a new rip format that is based on GBS. So far, the format does not have a PC software player. You can read more about the format here and even download the files if anyone is interested.

http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=5887
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:39 am
Well, it's generally not that hard to do for the SMS/GG (for >32KB games, anyway). He must still have a lot of time on his hands to rip them all, though...

We'll have to see if someone comes up with a player. The argument for ripped vs logged is not worth going into, I still prefer VGM for its simplicity.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:49 pm
Well, he didn't rip every game there is in the collection. There are many that still need to be ripped, should a player be written. From what I understand, the Sega driver is used repeatedly in many games, so it was easier for Kevin Horton to automate the process. A few games he had ripped manually.

The main purpose for the format is to play music on his FPGA synth, which supports a great deal of consoles that have a 6502, 65816,Z80 CPU.

To be fair, both ripped and dump/log formats have their pros and cons. I am personally a ripped format fan, beleiving them to be simple in a lot of ways, despite being difficult for the average Joe to extract.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:32 pm
Yeah the rips were automated, sounded like it was mostly 2 different drivers. From what Kevin said, it took more work to tag and rename the files than to rip them. No wonder Sega put out so many games, they were really smart about reusing code.

What's more complex about a ripped format is that it's an entirely self-contained program. It's trivial to play it on the original system, so any complexity during the ripping process is well worth it. It'd be easy to convert them to something an emulator will load, but that would be dumb because there would be blank video.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:24 am
I've hacked together a very crude SGC player for Windows, which is attached to this post (requires .NET 2.0). If a Z80 routine does not return (for whatever reason) the application will hang, which is the case with all ColecoVision rips for the moment and occasionally some of the SMS/GG ones - you have been warned!

Source code is available here.
SGC Player.zip (455.35 KB)
Very crude (and buggy) SGC player

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:22 pm
XPMCK now includes code for generating SGC files.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:15 pm
NEZPlug++ now supports SGC format, and I've converted an old song too.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:03 am
The main melody reminds me of Zelda 2 on the NES.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!