Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - List of Incompatibilities among SMS Games + Hardware

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
a_v
Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:34 am
The NewZealand Story has display glitches when running at 60Hz. Not sure if this carries over to an NTSC machine though.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:47 am

Glitchy/Incompatible on NTSC Master System (PAL only, thanks armonigann):

Addams Family, The
Back to the Future Part III
Battlemaniacs
Bram Stoker's Dracula
California Games II
Cosmic Spacehead
Excellent Dizzy Collection, The
Fantastic Dizzy
Home Alone
Micro Machines
Operation Wolf
Predator 2
Quest for the Shaven Yak
RoboCop 3
Sensible Soccer
Shadow Dancer - The Secret of Shinobi
Shadow of the Beast
Sonic Blast
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier (some versions)
Taito Chase H.Q.

This list needs to be elaborated on a bit. Some of these only have minor glitches on NTSC, and as I said in the sega8bit forum in response to that list, the TecToy games are 60 Hz and in some cases glitchy on ALL systems. Sonic Blast and Street Fighter II' are 8 megabit, which is what causes problems with early SMS 1s and the PBC, nothing to do with PAL/NTSC. I know there is a list somewhere that mentions specifics about the issues with some of these, but I don't remember the URL.

I also read on these boards an in that topic that Xenon 2 has some glitches in NTSC on anything but a Power Base Converter.

Edit: I found the list. I had to use archive.org, though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 am
Well, let's put it back on the regular interwebs then...
smscompat.txt (4.22 KB)
Sega Master System Compatibility Issues Guide version 1.1 by CRV (ilb4ever_2000@yahoo.com) Published on February 1, 2005

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:54 am
This is getting kinda tricky and tiring now... Especially with all this talk about emulation, non-authentic hardware, minor glitches, and uncertainties of whether or not something actually works...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 pm
Tycho wrote
This is getting kinda tricky and tiring now... Especially with all this talk about emulation, non-authentic hardware, minor glitches, and uncertainties of whether or not something actually works...

We need to get that organized.
Obviously the most important is to test with real unmodified system, although using adapters allow to test certain combinations. Those results can help in return to validate the behavior of emulators.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:07 am
OK I fixed up the NTSC section a little bit.

Pls let me know if there are any things to remove (e.g. with minor glitches that don't affect gameplay a lot), and things to add.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:21 am
American and European card format games work fine on a Japanese SMS; I had Teddy Boy and Transbot and they both worked perfectly on my Japanese system.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:45 am
cool thanks
Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:26 am
I just tried "Psyco Fox" on the JP SMS. It briefly shows a white screen before starting up, but seems to work fine.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:02 am
but that is a western shaped cart? (physical incompatibility)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 am
Tycho wrote
but that is a western shaped cart? (physical incompatibility)

yes. But it's playable with the tototek adapter. However, you also get the same results on a region switched genesis set to JP mode with the Power Base Converter, so no physical incompatibility in that case.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:09 pm
Alright I fixed it. Maybe.
  • Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 am
BrianC wrote
I'm still perplexed by WBIII apparently working with the Gender Adapter and not with the Tototek. As mentioned, it seems at least one other poster couldn't get the EU Bubble Bobble working on the JP SMS. Strange since it's just a localization of the JP Final Bubble Bobble and even runs at the same speed in NTSC.

Edit: Here is a comment about a similar problem with Wonder Boy III and the Tototek adapter, but on a Mark III rather than a JP SMS. There are some comments here about Wonder Boy III not working with the Tototek, as well. However, telling from other forums, it seems some have gotten it to work with the Tototek. Maybe different cartridge boards? It would be nice to know why it works with some, but not others.

I'm the original poster of that. US Wonder Boy III does not work with the Tototek on my Mark III w/ FM Unit. I'm particularly miffed about that as this is one of the only games I wanted to play on the console and Tototek never came back to me as to why it does not work. If there is a converter that works, I will gladly buy it.

I've tested Cyber Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden and Running Battle successfully on the Tototek. Need to try Battle OutRun when I get a chance...
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:53 am
Shou wrote

I'm the original poster of that. US Wonder Boy III does not work with the Tototek on my Mark III w/ FM Unit. I'm particularly miffed about that as this is one of the only games I wanted to play on the console and Tototek never came back to me as to why it does not work. If there is a converter that works, I will gladly buy it.

I asked around here and I couldn't figure out the issues either. It was one of the main games I wanted to play on my JP SMS with FM, as well. I have other games I wanted to play with FM like Time Soldiers, Space Harrier 3D, Zaxxon 3D, Bomber Raid, and Rampage that work fine with the Tototek, though.

Bock's video shows his gender adapter playing Wonder Boy III with FM. However, the gender adapter that is sold here in the SMS Power forums has incompatibilities with some games that the Tototek doesn't have due it working from the expansion slot. But it doesn't make sense that a game would work from the expansion slot and not the top of the system, so I think the problem might be something else besides the adapter itself. It would be helpful if someone with both adapters could test it, though. Or if someone with two copies of WBIII could check if both have the same results.

I noticed something with the original Wonder Boy. Even though it doesn't have FM, it's still worth playing on the JP system since the difficulty in JP mode is closer to the arcade.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:30 pm
I'll have to figure out how to re-structure the list to incorporate these incompatibilities.

I made a repro of Dr. Hello a month ago and it will not work on a MD with a power base converter, same VDP issue as F-16 Fighting Falcon. Same goes with every SG-1000 repro for the SMS - VDP issue on MD + converter.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:10 am
Sorry to dig out this thread, but it seems that GP Rider(PAL) won't work with the Tototek SMS to Mark III adapter. Buyed it yesterday and all I got on my Mark III is a black screen, but it works fine on my SMS. So I think it's incompatible.
Edit: got Out Run Europa (PAL) today and on my Mark III all the tiles are glitchy( most of the game's composed of zeros)
http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-3496/dsc00845.jpg
http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-3497/dsc00844.jpg
DSC00844.JPG (457.18 KB)
DSC00844.JPG
DSC00845.JPG (274.38 KB)
DSC00845.JPG

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:20 am
Someone mentioned a thread where I inquired about EU Bubble Bobble not working on a Japanese Master System by using the expansion slot (gender adapter).

Back then I could only rely on the gender adapter for the expansion port because I had nothing else, but I eventually got an adapter that goes in the cartridge slot and the game does work that way. It's definitely one of those games that don't work through the expansion port because of how they were programmed.

About the "Glitchy/Incompatible on NTSC Master System (PAL only)" section, I specifically have corrupted graphics and glitching issues with these four games:

-Desert Strike
-Super Smash TV
-The New Zealand Story
-The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants

They are assumed to be a problem with none of them working properly at 60hz/NTSC signal, ok, but here's something: I tested out the four games on a 60hz/NTSC Mega Drive and they all work perfectly. No glitches at all. And the same goes with most emulators.

The problem should not be just because of plain 60hz/NTSC incompatibility, but also because of how the different VDPs/systems behave.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:38 am
tested out the four games on a 60hz/NTSC Mega Drive and they all work perfectly. No glitches at all. And the same goes with most emulators.

The problem should not be just because of plain 60hz/NTSC incompatibility, but also because of how the different VDPs/systems behave.

Interesting finding! The VDP in the Mega Drive has less timing restrictions for SMS games than a real SMS. So timing problems in a PAL game that affect a NTSC SMS may not affect a NTSC Mega Drive, and that seems to be the case here.

I guess as a temporary measure it may be convenient to use a NTSC Mega Drive to play these games, but I think it's likely they'll never work right on a NTSC SMS 1/2/GG.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:30 am
Updated! =) Thanks for new info

Can anyone re-check Hang-on/Safari hunt on Tototek MarkIII adaptor?
Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:02 am
Are you interested in games that work with the Tototek adapter on a Japanese MS or are you only listing games that don't work?

Nice to see a fellow Aussie btw. :)
Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:57 pm
Ahhh it'll take forever writing out what does anwork as well! =)

I've taken the approach of listing incompatible items only.

(G'day!)
Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:06 pm
It'd be useful if the first post could say something about Korean games. Right now I'm assuming that:

(a) they don't physically fit a US SMS,
(b) most of them will fail the BIOS check anyway, and
(c) the ones that don't use TMS9918 video should work on a Genesis/Mega Drive with a PBC and appropriate adaptors.

But I don't think we have explicit confirmation of any of this, do we? This isn't purely hypothetical, either -- recently a US vendor I know was selling a Dr. Hello cart, and I realized I didn't know of any configuration that'd allow me to play the real cart on US hardware.

I also know that certain Korean games weren't working on the Everdrive for Genesis, despite not using the TMS9918 video modes. When I was experimenting last year, I found four problem ROMs: Dallyeora Pigu-Wang, which didn't work at all; and Jang Pung II, Jang Pung 3, and Sangokushi 3, all of which were glitched out. I assume this was an Everdrive issue (mapper support), but I don't know if more recent OS updates have solved it. I also don't know if these games would work with PBC + pin adaptor.

Thanks to Tycho and everyone for their efforts in keeping this list updated. I appreciate your dealing with the hassle, as it's headswimmingly complex at times!
Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 pm
goldenband wrote
It'd be useful if the first post could say something about Korean games. Right now I'm assuming that:

(a) they don't physically fit a US SMS,
(b) most of them will fail the BIOS check anyway, and
(c) the ones that don't use TMS9918 video should work on a Genesis/Mega Drive with a PBC and appropriate adaptors.

Yes, yes, and not sure.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:30 pm
I assume there isn't any alternative versions of these PAL titles that work correctly on NTSC? Like a Japanese version?

I've been having problems with Taito Chase H.Q. on the Sega Nomad (NTSC) which only seems to have had a European release, this seems odd for a company like Taito not to release their game in Japan.

Interestingly I tried the Game Gear version of Taito Chase H.Q., using the Everdrive MD and it runs fine at the correct 50hz speed (no controls though). I believe the display is still running at 60hz though.

Would it be too difficult an undertaking to patch these games?
Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:36 pm
The SMS lasted much longer in PAL regions than it did in NTSC, so it would not be surprising if later releases weren't concerned with 60hz compatibility.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:53 pm
Whitesnake wrote
I've been having problems with Taito Chase H.Q. on the Sega Nomad (NTSC)

I'm about to be Captain Obvious here, but just to avoid confusing anyone unfamiliar with the issue: your Nomad has been modded to restore SMS compatibility, right?

Anyway, interesting that the GG version works.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:38 pm
goldenband wrote
Whitesnake wrote
I've been having problems with Taito Chase H.Q. on the Sega Nomad (NTSC)

I'm about to be Captain Obvious here, but just to avoid confusing anyone unfamiliar with the issue: your Nomad has been modded to restore SMS compatibility, right?

Anyway, interesting that the GG version works.

Yep, I connected B30 to PIN45

Here is an image of the fix if anyone is interested. Ignore the European Master Clock.

I guess the GG version could be used as a basis to change the game speed of the SMS version.

I've tried other GG games but ran into the palette problems. :(
smsnomadfix.jpg (105.77 KB)
smsnomadfix.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:02 pm
Both of these guys work fine on my HES converter and US/NTSC console. I will say that most of my carts need a few tries to work even with the converter and the games cleaned.

- Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
- Shinobi
Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:22 pm
(That Nomad SMS fix scan is made by me years ago)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:35 pm
TmEE wrote
(That Nomad SMS fix scan is made by me years ago)

You have done well with the hardware stuff. Going to do this to mine now that I have kynar wire!...... One day lol
Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 am
Wesker wrote
Someone mentioned a thread where I inquired about EU Bubble Bobble not working on a Japanese Master System by using the expansion slot (gender adapter).

I mentioned that I couldn't get working it with the Tototek adapter in the regular cart slot, not the gender adapter (which I don't have). I have Final Bubble Bobble (which came with the JP SMS in an ebay bundle), as well, so it's not a huge issue, though.

From what I can tell, the games can have glitchy graphics on the JP SMS if the contacts are dirty. On the western systems, the games give a "software error" message if this is the case.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:13 pm
Necro bump.

Question: Are the SMS games that have trouble running on an NTSC Genesis running fine on a PAL Megadrive?

I am considering investing on a PAL Megadrive assuming it can play also SMS PAL titles.
How about those 2 or 3 titles that seems to require a PAL SMS with VDP2, will those work on any PAL Megadrive model or not a chance?
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:43 am
phoenixdownita wrote
Necro bump.

Question: Are the SMS games that have trouble running on an NTSC Genesis running fine on a PAL Megadrive?

I am considering investing on a PAL Megadrive assuming it can play also SMS PAL titles.
How about those 2 or 3 titles that seems to require a PAL SMS with VDP2, will those work on any PAL Megadrive model or not a chance?

None has tried troubled PAL SMS games on a PAL MD to chime in?
Anyone?
Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:21 pm
Bump.

Same question.

Do SMS PAL games that have trouble running on NTSC Genesis work just fine on PAL Megadrive (maybe 2) ? Even the ones that use SMS VDP2 extra modes?
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:57 am
From memory they play fine, do you have any game in particular you want to know about? I'll test it for you if you would like.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:09 am
I'd assume they're fine. I think it's a frequency thing (50hz/60hz). PAL MD 50hz. Haven't tested it though
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:28 pm
Emuaust wrote
From memory they play fine, do you have any game in particular you want to know about? I'll test it for you if you would like.

The list is on the first post but here it is:
Glitchy/Incompatible on NTSC Master System (PAL only):

Battlemaniacs
Bram Stoker's Dracula
California Games II
Cosmic Spacehead
Desert Strike
Fantastic Dizzy
Home Alone
Micro Machines
Operation Wolf
Predator 2
Quest for the Shaven Yak
Sensible Soccer
Shadow Dancer - The Secret of Shinobi
Shadow of the Beast
Sonic Blast
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier (some versions)
Street Fighter II
Super Smash TV
Taito Chase H.Q.
The Newzealand Story
The Simpsons Bart vs the Space Mutants

Some of them seems to be doing much better on Genesis (The Newzealand Story for example works just fine on NTSC Genesis, but on NTSC SMS is flashing galore).
I guess I'd like to know if the Codemasters game works fine:
Cosmic Spacehead
Fantastic Dizzy
Micro Machines

then obviously

I am not sure which games exactly relied on the VDP2 extra modes but from the look of it the Codemasters games are good candidates, in an NTSC machine the gfx is offset, the background seems to be 50-60 pixels off during scrolling etc...
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:22 pm
phoenixdownita wrote
I am not sure which games exactly relied on the VDP2 extra modes

http://www.smspower.org/Tags/Extra-Height
Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:20 am
Paul Baker wrote
phoenixdownita wrote
I am not sure which games exactly relied on the VDP2 extra modes

http://www.smspower.org/Tags/Extra-Height

Thanks, didn't notice that tag before.

And as expected they are the Codemasters games.

If anyone with a PAL Megadrive can try them it would help.

I'm pondering to buy either a PAL SMS II or a PAL Megadrive whichever is cheaper assuming I can play those PAL SMS games that give me troubles now.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:31 pm
Bought myself a PAL SMS 2, with a little luck it should have the VDP2 (according to the Internet all SMS 2s and some SMS 1s have the VDP 2 but you can't always trust all that you read on the internet).

It's a base unit only, no cables, no joypads, no AC power brick, it set me back around 35US$ shipped all the way from Germany, assuming it works obviously, it is not too bad of a deal.

EDIT:
I was finally reading thru
http://www.smspower.org/uploads/Development/msvdp-20021112.txt
and at chapter "13.) Genesis VDP" it has the following to say

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
13.) Genesis VDP
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a list of differences between the Genesis VDP and the other VDP
types, concerning mode 4.

- Bit 2 of register #1 enables mode 5 when set and mode 4 when clear.

- When the TMS9918 modes are selected, the display is always blanked and
is colored black. The M1, M2 and M3 bits have no effect.

- When the first byte of the command word is written, it is latched and
the LSB of the address register is not updated until the second byte
is written.

- When the data port is written to, the read buffer is not updated.
It is only updated when the data port is read.

- When writing to the data port, data will go to CRAM if bit 1 of the
code register is set. For the other VDP types the code register must
be set to $03 to access CRAM.

- None of the TMS9918 modes are available, nor are the extended resolutions
of the SMS 2
and GG VDP.

- Sprites cannot be zoomed using bit 0 of register #1, this bit does
nothing.

Despite all of these differences, only a few games do not work properly
on the Genesis. They are:

F-15 Fighting Falcon - Uses a TMS9918 display mode which results in a
black screen on the Genesis.

Bart vs. Space Mutants - Minor palette problems as the game expects to
write to VRAM with bit 1 of the code register set.

Ax Battler (GG) - Missing sprites and palette problems as the game
expects to write to VRAM with bit 1 of the code
register set. In addition the Game Gear palette
hardware is not compatible with the Genesis.

Cosmic Spacehead - Uses a 224-line display which is not supported,
depends on being able to update the LSB of the
address register on the 1st control port write.

Micro Machines - Uses a 224-line display which is not supported.

Y's (Japanese) - Uses bit 0 of register #2 to cause name table
mirroring, a bug which is fixed in the Genesis VDP.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:27 am
Oddly I see that The Addams Family has been removed from the glitchy list, can someone explain why? The top of the screen is flickering on my NTSC SMS 1.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:43 am
I'm seeing Battlemaniacs in the list, but I've been playing it the other day on my Japanese Mega Drive...
Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:17 am
I believe the list is for NTSC SMSs, a few "PAL only" end up working nice on NTSC MDs.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:46 am
Got my PAL SMSII, forgot that it has only RF.
Now I need to do an AV mod and it's the version witht he MB3514 small package so it will take me a little longer to solder on it's pins.
I'll first just make composite + mono audio than I'll look into SVideo.

I checked and it does have the VDP2.

I noticed that it is rather easy to put a 50/60hz mod, also considering that it is possible to solder on the 3D glasses extension card as it doesn't use the card /CE signals and all other are available on the cart itself, does this 2 facts make it the best SMS to own?
[yes it requires tinkering but it can be extended to support everything and it is the only one with the VDP2]
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:54 am
An SMS1 with a VDP2 probably wins. A Frankenstein Japanese SMS with a VDP2 (or even a piggy backed switchable VDP2 over the Japanese VDP1, if that's possible) would be the ultimate system though. Unless you want to go to a consolised Game Gear...
Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:55 am
AV modded my SMS2 with MB3514, all good.

QQ:
this beast here
http://www.smspower.org/Development/NTSCMasterSystemIIICBDM4JrVA1837-7275

It says NTSC but it has the VDP2, is it really NTSC or a PAL 60hz?
Or is the wire/jumper not the only thing that is different.

In order to switch PAL/NTSC the 50/60hz sync is but one piece, the second is to have the encoder switch as well and the third have the right colorburst (different clock), finally (but only for RF) have the audio in the right subcarrier.
So unless the VDP can generate all that internally and the encoder (and RF mod) are simply consuming all these signals, I believe the wire NTSC/PAL is really only 50/60hz.

EDIT: figured it out, the only "PAL" version with that config was actually the RGB one set to 50hz, and at that point no need for encoder, nor RF and the small difference in clock still makes it work just fine on RGB TV at 50hz.
http://www.smspower.org/Development/RGBMasterSystemIIICBDM4JrVA1837-7275

So yeah, the above one I was referring to is all NTSC, setting it to PAL would only have made it run at 50hz.

So QQ2:
Does it mean that that particular SMS2 NTSC supports the extra height modes? [maybe the 50/60hz still throws a wrench but not as bad]

I will put a 50/60hz switch on mine (PAL) and see if at 60hz there's issues running the extra height games. [not sure my cheap HDMI upconverter can deal with PAL60]
Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:54 am
Regarding the complete conversion PAL to NTSC or viceversa yeah it's been done as explained here:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/13211-5060HzRegionSwitchForSMS2Model300605A

And yeah, it requires the 50/60Hz mod + the encoder mode + correct color carrier to get colors.

Still need to add the 50/60Hz to my SMS2 to see if the Extra Height games work at all.
Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:40 pm
phoenixdownita wrote
Does it mean that that particular SMS2 NTSC supports the extra height modes?

I believe all SMS2s contain the 315-5246 VDP ("VDP2"). Therefore they should all support the extra-height modes.

phoenixdownita wrote
I will put a 50/60hz switch on mine (PAL) and see if at 60hz there's issues running the extra height games.

According to Charles MacDonald's VDP documentation, the 224-line mode works at 60Hz but the 240-line mode does not.
Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:24 pm
Managed to put the 50/60Hz switch in my PAL SMS2, rather than use the 3 way switch with +5V, GND and pin 57 what I did is "lifted" pin 57, put a pullup (5.1K) between the pin at the chip and +5V [pin 57 thru hole still on the board ;-)] at that point it is simply a matter to have a normal on/off switch between GND and the pin [yep you wire pin 57 also to GND via a simple on-off switch]

Anyway beside that I tested some Extra Height mode games at 60Hz and they kind of work.
Micro machines level 1 (the boat race) has the top say 15-20 lines flashing but apart than that it is playable, the static screens instead are all perfect, on the VDP1 that area is fine until the race starts then it's a solid block of bubbles that follows you on vertical scrolling, also the select screen has the overlay graphics [the border around your chosen racer] 20 pixels down where it should be.
Cosmic SpaceHead works much better but if you put the arrow cursor on top of objects (like the teleport or the coin on the first screen) the border flashes, instead during the platform part (first level) I saw no issues.

For fun I also tried The New Zealand story and that is seriously messed up at 60Hz, everything flashing.

Finally I switched on the fly from 50Hz to 60Hz during the 1st screen of Back to the Future 3 and that also is messed up, if you switch anytime sooner than that the game locks up.

So from my little test it seems Extra Height modes per se work but given there's less time during the vblank some of the games do not react too well (but that seems to be beside the Extra Height, other normal height PAL games have issues at 60Hz).

I noticed that at 50Hz my HDMI converter (I presume) kind of squashes the screen a little (say 10%) while at 60Hz games use much more area, I've seen the same behavior online on youtube about 50/60Hz SMS2 mod on PAL so maybe it is just the way it is supposed to be, just mentioning it.
Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:24 pm
My copy of Fantastic Dizzy is glitchy on a PAL MS in 60Hz (already acknowledged above) but also displays glitches in 50Hz with moving pixels below the status bar. Is this a known problem with more than just my one?

Edit: I don't think I have a 1.3 or it wouldn't work at all, would it? My BIOS contains Hang On and Safari Hunt. I can take a brief video of the glitching later if that helps.

Edit 2: Here you can see the jumping pixels on two rows between the status and gameplay areas. PAL game, PAL model 1 (Hang On and Safari Hunt), booted from cold in 50Hz mode using RGB via SCART. I'm assuming this is because Codemasters did something clever with coding in that screen space http://moby.to/xpg61y

Edit 3: I checked videos on YT and these glitchy pixels don't appear, recordings made presumably under emulation. Any ideas?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!