Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM pack] Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Reply to topic
[VGM pack] Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:39 pm
Version 1.01: Old package repacked. Cover added and info file updated.

Pack's page:
http://www.smspower.org/Music/DrRobotniksMeanBeanMachine-SMS
Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:08 pm
Last edited by kyubihanyou on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagao is actually as Nagao 'N' Gee here (with the single quotes, like with Deep Duck Trouble)

The "Miki" in Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is actually "Hiki" ( #t=2m24s )

Furthermore, based on "Hiki's" general proximity to Masayuki Nagao, I believe this is an alias for Masanori Hikichi: the member of Cube who worked with Nagao on the Mega Drive version (under "Music and FX")
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l1Z3KVgmSE#t=2m41s)

"Lotty" is most likely Nittoku Inoue. In Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit for the Mega CD, "Lotty" is credited for composition. Based on the two soundtrack releases, where his names appears out of the blue on the credit lists, it can only be him.
( #t=2m57s ) - FOWC
http://vgmdb.net/album/6328 - Soundtrack Vol. 1
http://vgmdb.net/album/6330 - Soundtrack Vol. 2
Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:59 am
Look at my Jurassic Park pack's composers and tell me please .... are they the same two guys or what? =P

(I was more going for the 'Who is Lotty' since I was almost adding the new information to my midi site) o.o
New finding
Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:19 pm
kyubihanyou wrote

"Lotty" is most likely Nittoku Inoue. In Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit for the Mega CD, "Lotty" is credited for composition. Based on the two soundtrack releases, where his names appears out of the blue on the credit lists, it can only be him.
( #t=2m57s ) - FOWC
http://vgmdb.net/album/6328 - Soundtrack Vol. 1
http://vgmdb.net/album/6330 - Soundtrack Vol. 2

Axe this.

CHz of vgmdb ( http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178#post36643 ) made it apparent as to who was involved in Golden Axe III (which includes Lotty for music and/or sound effects) ( #t=47m15s ) based on Naofumi Hataya's commentary.

Maeda (前田), Oguro (小黒), Sawada (澤田), and Hataya [himself] (幡谷), as opposed to
N.H, Ryunosuke, Lotty, T.S

-Hataya is definitely N.H
-Maeda (who also commentated in the album) I thought was T.S due to the unfamiliarity and single usage of the other names but now must be Ryunosuke based on the order given here.
-T.S must be Sawada due to a) the strength of the letters, b) Sawada's "newness" at the time as opposed to the vets around him, and c) the order given here.
-Lotty must be this Oguro fellow, whose name isn't familiar among known composer names of any company.

Side note: It's just a game, CHz; lighten up.
6203-1205961583.jpg (963.65 KB)
WM-0595~7 pg. 5
6203-1205961583.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:38 pm
kyubihanyou wrote
CHz of vgmdb made it apparent as to who was involved in Golden Axe III (which includes Lotty for music and/or sound effects) based on Naofumi Hataya's commentary.

Maeda (前田), Oguro (小黒), Sawada (澤田), and Hataya [himself] (幡谷), as opposed to
N.H, Ryunosuke, Lotty, T.S

Hey kyubi, I'd prefer not to follow you around the internet if I can help it, since that'd be super creepy to the max. If you want to turn Sega Retro and the like into an unreliable web of speculation, knock yourself out. But I'd really appreciate it if you'd not misinterpret my posts and then spread guesses with my name on them. Just quote me directly, please.

For everyone else, I want to clarify what I was really trying to say in that post, as it does involve the identity of "Lotty." I've been trying to figure out who he is myself for a few months. It's what drove me to make that post, actually!

Golden Axe III's sound credits look like this:

• Sound Program: Bo
  • Music and Sound Effect: N.H, Ryunosuke, Lotty, T.S

When talking about Golden Axe III in the GA compilation soundtrack, Naofumi Hataya mentions four people: Maeda (前田), 小黒 (probably Oguro, but not confirmed; could theoretically be Koguro or even something wilder), Sawada (澤田), and himself (幡谷). Because the game credits four people for music/SFX, and because Naofumi Hataya and Tatsuyuki Maeda are confirmed to have done music/SFX for the game, I think there's a chance he's naming the four. However, all I did was pull words out of context, which proves absolutely nothing about anything; I can point out specific instances on VGMdb where this backfired. Confirming these four are the game's sound guys would require real Japanese comprehension skills, which are something neither kyubi nor myself possess. So please don't treat this as fact until someone who actually knows what they're doing looks into it.

That makes this part mostly bunk for the time being:

kyubihanyou wrote
-Hataya is definitely N.H
-Maeda (who also commentated in the album) I thought was T.S due to the unfamiliarity and single usage of the other names but now must be Ryunosuke based on the order given here.
-T.S must be Sawada due to a) the strength of the letters, b) Sawada's "newness" at the time as opposed to the vets around him, and c) the order given here.
-Lotty must be this Oguro fellow, whose name isn't familiar among known composer names of any company.

But assuming those four really are the four music/SFX guys, I want to ask you what you mean by "order," kyubi. I really hope that I'm misunderstanding you and that you're not trying to argue that the order Hataya listed names in liner notes written fifteen years after the game corresponds to the order the people are listed in the game. That is completely unknowable unless you've heard it from Hataya himself.

Assuming the four that Hataya listed are the four music/SFX guys, a proper deduction looks like this:

• Naofumi Hataya and Tomonori Sawada are probably "N.H" and "T.S," although to my knowledge, they aren't credited as such in any other game or album. If they have, all the better.
  • This leaves Tatsuyuki Maeda and mystery person 小黒 to be assigned to two aliases, "Ryunosuke" and "Lotty." There's nothing indicating which one is which that isn't highly circumstantial, so that's the best we can do about "Lotty" for now. (To be honest, I would guess that Maeda is "Ryunosuke" based on the characters in his name, but fiddling with Japanese names is another thing that doesn't prove anything. It's pretty easy to derive any conclusion you want to, and there's no guarantee an alias is even derived from a real name in the first place.)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:36 pm
We are generally hoping to rely on solid evidence for these name associations, so Lotty will remain Lotty until we get something concrete :)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 am
I know firsthand how easy it is to jump to conclusions about identities, because I've done it myself, so I'm glad to hear that. If I end up being the one to definitively connect "Lotty" to 小黒 or whoever else he may be, I'll let you all know what I find. :)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:19 am
Found out who "Lotty" is.

Her name is Haruyo Oguro (小黒 晴代). I got this info from Masaru Setsumaru on Twitter.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:05 am
Last edited by CHz on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Masaru Setsumaru is wonderful!

EDIT: Please ignore the next paragraph; I apparently forgot to read my previous evidence before posting it. See two posts down for a correction.

Now that three of the four people Hataya mentioned in the liner notes turned out to have worked on the game, it now seems pretty likely that the fourth one, Maeda, did too. (Although, having not translated the Japanese, still can't be completely certain.) And if he did, by elimination, he'd be Ryunosuke.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:07 am
Apparently, the only way to get in contact with Maeda is his official SEGA e-mail. Which of course, can't be handed out to the public.

And yes! Setsu is a very cool guy, he almost always responds to any question I have for him. (Although, I don't wanna bug him with every Q I could ask him, then he might get annoyed by me and not respond.)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:34 am
Oh dang, I just realized how dumb that last paragraph I wrote was. Sawada is the final person Hataya mentioned but isn't otherwise confirmed to have worked on GA3, not Maeda. SIGH

Here's the long form of what I should have said:

• Lotty = Haruyo Oguro
  • N.H = Naofumi Hataya, who definitely worked on the game
  • Tatsuyuki Maeda, who definitely worked on the game, is probably Ryunosuke because T.S doesn't really fit
  • Tomonori Sawada, who may have worked on the game, is probably T.S if that turns out to be true

Since Lotty has been identified (thanks again!), that pretty much wraps up the relevance GA3 has to this thread, but I wanted to correct that because it was just embarrassingly wrong. :[
Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 am
I talked to Mr. Nagao. He says he doesn't remember Lotty, but he says that Hiki is in fact Masanori Hikichi. He said though, that if Masaru said Lotty was Oguro, then he'd be correct.
Version 1.02
Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:27 am
Following on from all this composer identity discussion, I've incorporated the real names of the composers (which has since been confirmed and backed up) into the VGMs themselves.

Dave has also since identified which songs he composed for the game, so I've made it so he is credited for those tracks specifically. I would love to know the roles of the Japanese musicians in this one...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!