Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Hwarang-ui Geom (SMS/KR), Super Boy 4 (SMS/KR)

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Hwarang-ui Geom (SMS/KR), Super Boy 4 (SMS/KR)
Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:40 pm
A nice present arrived from Nights in Korea : He borrowed cartridges from friendly Korean informed Leadkun and dumped two of them which he sent us for release.

The first release is Hwarang-ui Geom for the Master System / Samsung Gam*Boy, which is a Korean localized version of good old classic Kenseiden. They replaced the unfitting Samurai main character with a Korean warrior equivalent and the map of Japan with Korea. The text is also of course translated. This was released under the Samsung label and thus is likely an officially approved localization.

The second release is Super Boy 4 for the Master System / Samsung Gam*Boy, from a long lineage of unlicensed clone of some infamous plumber character featured in interactive entertainment software. As expected from this kind of production, still picture are not doing the game justice : justice shall be done and although the art is decent, this is barely playable and you will want to bang your head at the controls and collision system. If only for the artwork and odd curiosity you will definitively want to check this out.

Thanks!
Stay tuned for more news soon and information about upcoming prototypes releases.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm
I don't know what to say about the SMW clone except it's kind of hillarious that they could get away with that. =)
Anyway, thanks alot Bock for digging up these pieces of history ;)
Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:33 pm
I've wanted to see more of the Korean version of Kenseiden for a while now.

Still has the FM sound, as the Western version does (did South Korea get the FM sound chip?), and everything still has that orange "glow" that I didn't like on the Japanese version. With this Korean version, I realized you could kneel down and keep your sword out. All the times I played Kenseiden, I didn't know you could do that.

I've uploaded the ending here.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:24 am
It is always fun to try the unlicensed games. Super Boy 4 was not so good, the control is not working as it should. However, it is a better game than Super Boy 2.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:12 am
I played Hwarang Ui Geom ( Korean Kenseiden ) e and i like it.

In my opinion this is a interesting localization likes Hokuto no Ken / Black Belt.

The change Japan map for Korea map and changes Hayato´s Samurai outfit for Korean Warrior outfit are the main modification, but the stages and enemies remains the same in Japanese and Western versions.

Unfortunately, i´m not passed the Stage 2.

About Super Boy 4, i downloaded the ROM and the game not runs in Gens Plus ( Mega Drive / Genesis emulator with Master System and Game Gear support ).

The same case occurs with Super Boy 2, Dr Hello and other SMS Korean Games.

What the best emulator for Korean SMS Games?
Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:52 am
Bock wrote
A nice present arrived from Nights in Korea : He borrowed cartridges from friendly Korean informed Leadkun and dumped two of them which he sent us for release.

The first release is Hwarang-ui Geom for the Master System / Samsung Gam*Boy, which is a Korean localized version of good old classic Kenseiden. They replaced the unfitting Samurai main character with a Korean warrior equivalent and the map of Japan with Korea. The text is also of course translated. This was released under the Samsung label and thus is likely an officially approved localization.
Oh my... Hwarang-ui Geom was the first localized game I have played in my life. I asked Maxim whether he gets it or not when I gave him some scans related to SMS games about a year ago.
Indeed it is VERY difficult to possess this game these days(this game is EXTREMELY RARE ONE beside "Korean localized PS1") so I expected nothing. But someone contrubuted his own cartridge for dumping then SMS Power finally released this game and I'm reading this thread right now. WoW! so amazing.
Thanks very much, SMS Power, especially Bock, Nights, Leadkun and the NAMELESS real owner of the games cartridges. =)

CRV wrote
Still has the FM sound, as the Western version does (did South Korea get the FM sound chip?)
As far as I know Samsung, the publisher of SEGA consoles in South Korea at that age, hadn't released FM sound chip.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:22 am
Here's some pictures of Super Boy 4 that were provided by Nights.
superboy4_01.jpg (117.08 KB)
superboy4_01.jpg
superboy4_02.jpg (94.6 KB)
superboy4_02.jpg
superboy4_03.jpg (48.74 KB)
superboy4_03.jpg

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:59 am
Bock wrote
Here's some pictures of Super Boy 4 that were provided by Nights.

I have seen so many rips, I'd say the boy character in the box/cartridge art is ripped off of Kickle from Kickle Cubicle by IREM (Arcade/NES)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:09 am
Does the original game have glitches in round 1-2?

The glitched squares are impassable... you have to jump out of the top of the screen to bypass them.

Edit: It seems to be a bad dump. Some of the level data has the MSB set when it shouldn't; for example, ROM location $ccd4 corresponds to the first glitch (next to Super Boy's head in the screenshot). Reset the high bit and it's just another red and yellow thing.
super_boy_4-sms-kr (1031).png (1.86 KB)
Super Boy 4 round 1-2 glitch
super_boy_4-sms-kr (1031).png

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:55 am
I almost forgot, I did this thing too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO7KvpGoxy0. The game isn't that bad, but the audio is somewhat weird.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!