Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Power Site rip torrent / archive

Reply to topic
SMS Power Site rip torrent / archive
Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:05 am
What is the chance for a torrent / archive (rar) of all the music files on this site to be made readily available?

This would be comparable to:
http://snesmusic.org/v2/torrent.php
http://akumunsf.good-evil.net/
http://project2612.org/torrent.php

(I'm hoping this hasn't been asked already, at least I didn't see anything in the short search I made...)

What do you think?

Thanks!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:39 am
The problem is trackers. Running a tracker takes a lot of hosting resources and is not allowed on most hosts. Project2612's torrent tracker had to be turned off for this reason. So, I replaced their torrent with a DHT (trackerless) torrent. Since anyone can make one of these, it's just up to you to create it. And seed it, of course.

As for a complete RAR: it's a possibility. The complete set currently online (after removing duplicates) is 7.0MB zipped. If I remove the VGM file compression, I get 35.8MB that RARs to 5.4MB and 7-zips to 4.2MB. Hosting a 4MB file is probably less effort than managing a torrent. It's just a hassle to keep it up-to-date.

Doing a torrent for ROMs might be more useful, but naming is an issue there; distributing an updating set by bittorrent makes it impossible to ever change a filename.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:36 am
The project 2612 torrent has been dead for some time, but I did manage to find a .rar someone had uploaded on the forums.

I don't know how important updates are. I would think that if someone had a complete archive on their computer, if they were to create a new rar once or every other year would be enough. The majority of listeners are looking for a "whole lot of sms, or snes, or nes" tracks and they won't necessarily notice a few updates from time to time.

So if you consider updating the .rar sparingly, then I'd think it would be easy. And the space is a non issue. Especially with the older console music, it is very small. The complete NSF archive was about 7 mb (which I didn't believe at first).

So it depends on someone having all the music files, and just rar'ing them together. Shouldn't be difficult.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:57 pm
On a related note, visit Arc-Nova.org for your chip tunes -- a friend of mine runs it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:46 am
Maxim wrote
As for a complete RAR: it's a possibility. The complete set currently online (after removing duplicates) is 7.0MB zipped. If I remove the VGM file compression, I get 35.8MB that RARs to 5.4MB and 7-zips to 4.2MB. Hosting a 4MB file is probably less effort than managing a torrent. It's just a hassle to keep it up-to-date.

If you ever do that, don't bother disabling the VGM compression. The difference is little and our time is probably more valuable that bothering to manage that and cope with non compressed .vgm files, etc.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:48 pm
How about something like SVN to manage it?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!