Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sealed game discussion

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
Sealed game discussion
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:05 pm
Last edited by Denvan on Wed May 28, 2008 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi everyone,

I know this is a bit of a taboo subject amongst the general gaming community, but it's news all the same, and may interest the small minority to whom it applies.

A new forum site has recently just been set up aimed at collector's who prefer to collect factory sealed video-games, called Sealed Game Heaven ( http://forum.sealedgameheaven.com http://www.sealedgameheaven.com ), and has already so far been reported on by Kotaku.com; InsertCredit.com; And also BitParade

The forum features in-depth guides and discussions regarding sealed games from all regions, as well as useful information regarding what to look out for, as well as the differences between factory seals and reseals. It also has another section where members have posted pictures of their impressive sealed game collections for your viewing pleasure!
Even if you are not a fan of this unique collecting phenomenon, it may still fascinate you or even provide enlightenment!

I collect sealed games for more than 4 years and i just want to know if there are some other crazy guys out there who are also sealed collectors like me or are interested in this type of collecting.

Do you think it is worth to collect sealed games or do you think sealed collecting is just wasting your money...

best greetings
Pascal
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:10 pm
I buy a game to play it... I'd consider it waste of money if you don't at least have a flashcart so you could play the game on real HW.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:20 pm
And especially since the value of recordable media (weather permenant or temporary) absolute NEVER goes up in price in value, unless you can swindle someone. In those cases, the only thing of value is any print material or graphic that would be deemed valuable for artistic reasons.
viletim!
Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:35 am
Denvan wrote
Do you think it is worth to collect sealed games or do you think sealed collecting is just wasting your money...

If you're not going to play it then there's not much point in taking it out of its packaging. But then why did you buy it if you don't want to play it?

Something like buying books to fill bookshelves....

They arn't games! They're ornaments! Don't touch them!!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:31 am
I run into this debate a lot in my other hobby, as I collect action figures.. i'm the type to tear open everything, no matter how rare it is, because i'm very much of the belief that they're toys and should be played with/appreciated. First time I've come across it in gaming. I guess I can understand the interest in keeping things "perfect", but i also feel it's missing the point cause the whole point in them is to play them.

At least with games there's always the option to emulate, but it's not quite the same. I say open them and enjoy them... Like Atari said, it's very rare that the value goes up either, with the exception of a handful of games that got limited runs (SNES Ogre Battle, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and the like), you're not making much keeping them that way
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:03 am
I have some blister pack SMS games which I like but thats about it.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:46 pm
why keep something sealed, its a waste of money..... bah bah daft
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:51 pm
Jacko wrote

Well the games I have in blister packs I also have spares of to play. I just like the packaging, nice to collect.

allbs1.jpg (54.25 KB)
allbs1.jpg

OMFG!!!!!!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:15 pm
I have heard about Adol's 100% complete Japanese Dreamcast collection but I had no idea it was true. That is AMAZING! (O_O)!!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:28 pm
james costello wrote
Jacko wrote

Well the games I have in blister packs I also have spares of to play. I just like the packaging, nice to collect.

wow looks great!
Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:51 am
wow, in Australia, games never came in blister packs, or even sealed with more than a sticker over the opening, for that matter...
Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:56 am
It's true, almost all sealed..
Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:18 pm
unfnknblvbl wrote
wow, in Australia, games never came in blister packs, or even sealed with more than a sticker over the opening, for that matter...

Yep I can vouch for that, although how did the games used to be presented on the shelves unfnknblvbl? it would have been so cool to get those blister packs.

Adol wrote
It's true, almost all sealed..

So do you have a massive bank loan for all those games? or are you broke and/or worked for Sega :P
Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:30 pm
Lol.. looking at all those blister packs makes me wanna rip them apart and liberate them!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:35 pm
Every once in a while during dumping sessions I'm happy to rip lots of virgin sealed Game Gear games.
Re: OMFG!!!!!!
Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:01 pm
Boozle061083 wrote
I have heard about Adol's 100% complete Japanese Dreamcast collection but I had no idea it was true. That is AMAZING! (O_O)!!

yeah his collection is really amazing!
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:08 am
I have a few blister items for the SMS, like the Smurf's 'gift' set, but that's about it. The thing about collecting sealed SMS games that's pointless to me is that they're nice a solid to begin with. In addition, some areas didn't even use plastic seal, they just used a little sticker on the edge. Personally, I don't see the reason for it at the moment. It's a difficult argument to agree with in my opinion, because unlike sealed toys (unless you're a bit of a fool like me), you actually play these things. Kind of pointless to have a sealed collection AND a regular one if you want to, and plus with these games they're a lot more solid than what you get for the NES and Atari 2600 or something. The problem is that it's quite easy to fake. With all the information out there on it now and this stupid 'VGA' crap that's been going on, I only see it getting worse. And contrary to what some people think, overall video game collecting, even for something like the NES, is still pretty much a niche market, not nearly close to what comic collecting is. Whether it lasts is what will make the sealed thing an issue, but it's so easy to fake that I don't know how long it will hold up. Sellers on eBay got wise real quick and started buying supplies, several buyers were totally stiffed on fake seals but couldn't prove it to eBay because there was no standard. Someone figured out the standard, but you can still fake that so it's pointless to me.
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:47 am
Stan Stepanic wrote
I have a few blister items for the SMS, like the Smurf's 'gift' set, but that's about it. The thing about collecting sealed SMS games that's pointless to me is that they're nice a solid to begin with. In addition, some areas didn't even use plastic seal, they just used a little sticker on the edge. Personally, I don't see the reason for it at the moment. It's a difficult argument to agree with at my opinion, because unlike sealed toys (unless you're a bit of a fool like me), you actually play these things. Kind of pointless to have a sealed collection AND a regular one if you want to, and plus with these games they're a lot more solid than what you get for the NES and Atari 2600 or something. The problem is that it's quite easy to fake. With all the information out there on it now and this stupid 'VGA' crap that's been going on, I only see it getting worse. And contrary to what some people think, overall video game collecting, even for something like the NES, is still pretty much a niche market, not nearly close to what comic collecting is. Whether it lasts is what will make the sealed thing an issue, but it's so easy to fake that I don't know how long it will hold up. Sellers on eBay got wise real quick and started buying supplies, several buyers were totally stiffed on fake seals but couldn't prove it to eBay because there was no standard. Someone figured out the standard, but you can still fake that so it's pointless to me.

i disagree that blister pack games are fake.. At least i'm 100% sure mine arnt.

But just shrink wrapped ones could be.. Not a problem in europe really as to the best of my knowledge the only shrink wrapped game for the SMS was Ultima IV with the extra books. so any otheres are surly just a later shrink wrap (ive bought them in Gamestation).

It's a little more aukward in the US as i think shrink wrapping is more common so the sealed games could well be original.. but personally i dont care one jot.. if the box, cart and manul look mint than thats fine.

I think all this applys more with Ni****do games as there boxes are so fragile and crap. who cares though :)
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:10 am
I wasn't talking about blisters, that would be nearly impossible to fake, I mean only plastic wrap seals.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:50 am
Stan wrote
I wasn't talking about blisters, that would be nearly impossible to fake, I mean only plastic wrap seals.

yeah, ive bought some and opend them and they have been 2nd hand, Ive bought them from England and also from Brazil as shrink wrapped sealed, opend them and had missing manuals, scratched carts, etc.. Lucky i didnt pay much over what a crappy version would cost anyway.

The only ones I keep shrink wrapped are the Tec Toy card box releases.

On a bonus note though I bought 11 games off ebay last week for £2.70 (and £8 post) and they were all brand new, sealed just with the Sega sticker but I opend them all and they were all mint and never used - even all had posters (did all SMS games come with a poster?).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:13 am
james costello wrote
(did all SMS games come with a poster?).

I'm pretty sure they all came with a catalogue, is that what you meant?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:41 am
Here in France I don't recall having many posters when I originally bought my games in 88-90ish. Maybe it was only from a certain date?
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:59 pm
Anyone have that Italian SMS Club thing that I believe came with games? I almost got one in an acution awhile back but got shafted in the end.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:23 pm
there were also many shops that gave used copies a new wrapping
SealedCollector
Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Bock wrote
Here in France I don't recall having many posters when I originally bought my games in 88-90ish. Maybe it was only from a certain date?

yeah I think so too!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm
SealedCollector wrote
Bock wrote

yeah I think so too!

what is your most wanted sealed game?
Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:11 am
Check : http://www.sealedgameauctions.com where you can buy,sell,trade and search auctions 100% free without any fees. I think that should interest some of you that want to save high ebay fees.
Wow
Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:09 pm
http://www.sealedgameauctions.com/auction_details.php?name=28-factory-sealed-Seg...

Just $800! LAME!
Re: Wow
Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:17 pm
Niloct wrote
http://www.sealedgameauctions.com/auction_details.php?name=28-factory-sealed-Sega-Master-System-Games-VODKA-MATROSHKA-FOR-FREE-LOL&auction_id=100217

Just $800! LAME!

lol :D !
Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:35 pm
this is nice but it went for a bit too much for me, however i'll still get to hold it as the buyer is from italy and the seller won't ship so i'm being the middle guy..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300331116660

£142.60 (+p&p)...

However I did get this at the weekend (£25 from a guy at a gaming event, I could have talked him down a bit but i'd had a few drinks..) as they are Euro the games are just sealed with a Sega sticker, but nice to have the original shipper box..

xenonnew1.jpg (62.55 KB)
xenonnew1.jpg
xenonnew2.jpg (68.68 KB)
xenonnew2.jpg
xenonnew3.jpg (94.39 KB)
xenonnew3.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 pm
Am I the only one that wants to break those seals and get some nice cover art scans going? :)

Sealed games is a bit too masochistic for me... but since there is a lot of product out there it's not like they are restricting supply keeping them like that so it's not a big issue. If you've got the money to spare why not? Whether sealed or not, having nice looking game boxes all organized in a room certainly looks nice, just make sure the humidity is kept low and temperature never exceeds 20C! ;)
Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:03 pm
WOW your MJ games look great!

best greetings
Denvan from http://forum.sealedgameheaven.com
Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:01 pm
check out this amazing video game collection:
[Admin: link removed, nothing to do with Sega 8-bit!]
Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:20 pm
Was going around my archives and realised that many pictures in those two folders aren't on the forum so... here you go :)

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/cyberguile/library/Jeux%20sous%20blister%20rigide...

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/cyberguile/library/Jeux%20sous%20blister%20rigide...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:22 am
Some more pictures from auctions that Balkry sent me.
French packaging Afterburner.

Kenneth: The pictures you have linked to are STILL not on the forum. Would you be kind to upload them?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:22 am
Some more pictures from auctions that Balkry sent me.
French packaging Robocop vs Terminator.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:09 pm
Also linking to: http://www.smspower.org/forums/16215-CrashTestDummiesBlister
Dragon Blister
Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:44 pm
Just for the archive, two pictures of Dragon.
It is from my own collection, sadly the blister is opened. But it gives a sample of Virgin games's.
DragonBack.jpg (577.73 KB)
Dragon Back
DragonBack.jpg
DragonFront.jpg (409.66 KB)
Dragon Front
DragonFront.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:21 pm
Jungle Book
JB SMS Blister.JPG (238.88 KB)
JB SMS Blister.JPG

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:16 pm
Starting to upload the stuff

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:20 pm
Some more

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:23 pm
And more

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:32 pm
more
GG_zps2420d9e5.jpg (123.83 KB)
GG_zps2420d9e5.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:01 pm
More

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:03 pm
more

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:39 pm
Looks like someone with a deep pocket figured out how to use ebay last week.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:04 pm
Or someone who has spent years collecting stuff has taken a bunch of photos. Game Gear collecting is a bit less common and I guess blister packs are more common, and somewhat necessary, than for Master System.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:45 pm
Were blister packs more common in Europe?
Never seen video games (outside of like Tiger handhelds) packaged like that in the US (I think I might've once heard of some NES blisters from Canada, but I'm not sure of that).
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 pm
Were blister packs more common in Europe?

Not sure, but most(all ?) of these games came from France.
As far i can remember, when I was young at the end of the 80's/begin of the 90's all the SMS games were sold like this in France
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:30 pm
dink wrote
Looks like someone with a deep pocket figured out how to use ebay last week.

None of those games are mine, I've got thousands of videogame-related pictures from various sites downloaded in the last 15 years and just found some time to sort the Sega 8-bits blisterpacks ones to post them here.
Btw, even Bill Gates couldn't build such a collection of games in a couple of weeks nowadays...
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!