Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Good news/Bad News

Reply to topic
Consolemu
Good news/Bad News
Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2000 5:06 pm
Hey!

How's everyone? Well, I'm having some troubled times right now. I got caught playing hookie a couple times so I'm grounded. I was "lucky" to even sign on and post out this message. My internet connection and my computer may be gone soon. At any rate, I think I can beat this punishment out the next couple weeks. Mabye good grades and a big smile will change things. :o)

Also, I'm taking a computer programming II class because I know so much programming. Everyone else is just learning C++ while I'm typing routines in 80x86 assembly...it's so funny. So, if I'm not doing my work I get a chance to program and do my own thing. I'm still very interested in SMS programming and I have Richard's doc printed out and I'm about to copy Tasm and some of my fool-around testing programs to a disk. I'll take it to school and work on some things perodically.

Before I got into this whole mess though, I did manage to write a music routine in Z80 assembly. The logic works but I still can't check Vsync properly. I need to setup a Vsync routine but I don't know what address the PC jumps to when one occurs. Because the music is just one big blurp. I dunno. I'll figure it out sometime.

I shall return, someday...

Chris :o)

• Site Admin
Re: Good news/Bad News/Hubris
Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2000 7:09 pm

> Also, I'm taking a computer programming II class because I know so much programming. Everyone else is just learning C++ while I'm typing routines in 80x86 assembly...it's so funny.

(nichts zu sagen)

> Before I got into this whole mess though, I did manage to write a music routine in Z80 assembly. The logic works but I still can't check Vsync properly. I need to setup a Vsync routine but I don't know what address the PC jumps to when one occurs. Because the music is just one big blurp. I dunno. I'll figure it out sometime.

VSync interrupt jumps to $0038 (hsync does too).
Remember to enable interrupts (EI) and enable vsync in VDP reg 0 (or 1?). I think the screen also has to be enabled to work.
And don't forget to read from port $bf in your vsync handler (you don't need to use the value returned for anything, just read it or it'll keep triggering vsync interrupts until the screen redraw starts up again). And end your vsync interrupt with either ei/ret or reti (most sms games I've seen use ei/ret. it's just good to note that interrupts are disabled after one is triggered, and you have to enable them again, either with reti or ei).
Also from the things you probably figured on dept.:
Make sure you are setting your stack pointer when your program starts ($dff0 is recommended).
push any registers you use during interrupts, or use exx and ex af,af'. (there are no shadows for IX and IY).
Consolemu
Woah!
Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2000 10:59 pm
>
> > Also, I'm taking a computer programming II class because I know so much programming. Everyone else is just learning C++ while I'm typing routines in 80x86 assembly...it's so funny.

I didn't mean what I said. I was typing fast and stuff. What I was trying to say is that while I know so many things that I've learned from here and else where on the net, everyone else is still fiddling around with basic and goofing off playing Excitebike and Mario Bros 3. It's a shame because they act like they don't give a damn. They're so busy playing games that they're never going to learn how to make one. Or asking questions for that matter. Like how shorts are different from integers and floats differ from characters.

> (nichts zu sagen)

What does this mean?

I'll be back...someday

Chris :o)

Martin
Re: Woah!
Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 11:52 am
> > (nichts zu sagen)

> What does this mean?

It's German and means 'nothing to say'.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page