SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wonderboy Advance

Reply to topic
ronald
Wonderboy Advance
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:50 am
Did Wonderboy really come out on the Gameboy Advance?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:19 am
As furanku mentions in the description:
furanku67 @ youtube.com wrote
This is a from a fan game which was in production a while back. The home brew game called "Wonder Boy Advance" was a redesign of "Wonder Boy III -- The Dragons Trap" aka "Monster World II" which the story was set in-between the next sequel to the series.
The game was made by a small group of dedicated fans which wasn't completed for the Gameboy Advance. The town stage had monsters roaming everywhere and a snippet of a brand new Ice World stage that could be found featuring a character named Fox-man which I created myself.

Without seeing more, I'd guess they got as far as the intro without making a platforming engine, and then enthusiasm ran out.

So, it didn't come out, and it was a fan/homebrew effort anyway.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:48 pm
Pity as thats probably the best homebrew effort I've seen to date.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:47 pm
The engine was actually very solid. Unfortunately there were problems that made it difficult to create art without reducing everything to 16 colors. Here's what I wanted it to look like:

Also the usual real life intervening and all that. I'd still love to see it happen some day. Maybe on DS or something. That and Penguin Land really need a DS version.
329744067_l.jpg (11.97 KB)
329744067_l.jpg

PresidentLeever
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:11 am
Whoah, you really removed the Monster World style of the gfx. Is there a playable beta?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:15 am
I modeled what I did off of later games and official artwork, so I wouldn't say I removed the MW style, just the MW2 style.

Yeah, there are playable versions, but I don't know if anyone would be bothered by my sharing them.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:00 am
TBH I prefer the lower res version. Once you start trying to make more realistic graphics it can alter the overall feel that made the game great to start with.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:04 am
It was supposed to be a sequel, not a remake, though, so having a little different of a feel is fine. MW4 didn't look anything like MW3, which didn't really look all that close to MW2. MW2 didn't much resemble its own concept art, for that matter.

More:
[attached]
yeti6ds0.gif (2.44 KB)
Ice World boss
yeti6ds0.gif
snakesm6.gif (3.24 KB)
Snake
snakesm6.gif
ufotiles3bs0.png (6.71 KB)
UFO inside area
ufotiles3bs0.png

PresidentLeever
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:08 am
MW4 did keep the MW style with the cute, stylized graphic tiles and a lot of enemy designs were rehashed. Your backgrounds have plain colors that approach realism but still look very tiled so there's like clash there that I don't like.

These sprites are pretty cool though, esp. the gorilla. The leg has a strange shape though.

I'd be interested in something playable if it's not too buggy.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:48 am
what he said basically, throughout the series it generally kept the cartoony feel across the board.

the concept shot just looks like it could be any generic knock-off platformer, it just doesn't look right is all.

the gorilla/snake are much more in style with the wonderboy series.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:14 pm
That Youtube movie looks like an average sprite animation, rather than a game...

Anyway, what game is that gorilla from? Something from Capcom, I guess?
Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:58 pm
It's an original sprite I made from scratch. All the art I posted is original
Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:38 am
I was the coder on this. Sadly personal life got in the way of it being finished. I had thought the code was long since lost but recently I found a copy of it on an old laptop.

Maybe one day the project can be started up again and moved to a newer platform. Until then, I've put up a youtube video of the very last build I have which shows some of what is talked about by the other members of the team above:

I would prefer to keep the development roms private for them to remain as gifts to the team who worked so hard on a project that never got finished. Maybe one day the project will be picked up again :)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:43 pm
It looks like it's mostly feature complete? Releasing the source could benefit the community to have the game see the light of day.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 am
You're right, other than enemy logic routines which would have been written as each new baddie and boss was added, the code was pretty much complete.

I'd love to see the game completed but releasing the code is not something I'd like to do at present.

One of the key problems finishing the game was producing the vast amount of new artwork needed for such a project quickly enough whilst holding down jobs, attending school, etc. Everyone was commited to getting it done but as is so often the case with homebrew works, they get put on the back burner when the bills need to be paid.

The code was easier for me to complete in truth, as other than things like the code for Mouse-Man's wall walking, it was a fairly standard platform game engine I had done before, just not on the GBA which is what took up most of my time.

For the project to be completed today, it would be better moved over to newer platforms, with all references to "Wonderboy" being removed to enable a commercial return on a final game "inspired by" the original.

So, instead of releasing the code, consider this a shout out to any great artists out there who would like to work on such a project, and indeed to fans who would be willing to dontate to help fund development of such a game.

Maybe I'll do the whole KickStarter thing that's so popular today :P
Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:39 pm
Although the development roms remain private, I note you can find a copy of the public beta builds to play on a Gameboy Advance emulator via a simple google search, just look for:

"Wonderboy Advance by AlekMaul Rev002 (PD).zip"

Since it's homebrew it's ok to download it. It's not as fully featured as the latest build shown in my recent video and has several issues (tile collision mainly) but it will give you an idea of what could have been :)

To play the different forms (assuming they are in the build you find), pause the game by pressing START and toggle through forms using SELECT. You can also select different power ups by using the L&R Shoulder buttons.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:21 am
Last edited by Blake00 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:04 am; edited 2 times in total
thehiddendragon2012 wrote
Although the development roms remain private, I note you can find a copy of the public beta builds to play on a Gameboy Advance emulator via a simple google search, just look for:

"Wonderboy Advance by AlekMaul Rev002 (PD).zip"

Since it's homebrew it's ok to download it. It's not as fully featured as the latest build shown in my recent video and has several issues (tile collision mainly) but it will give you an idea of what could have been :)

To play the different forms (assuming they are in the build you find), pause the game by pressing START and toggle through forms using SELECT. You can also select different power ups by using the L&R Shoulder buttons.

Apologies for bumping an old thread. I went hunting for an official forum rules thread to see if it was frowned on here (some forums prefer new threads over old bumps, others vice versa, dpends on the admins personal preferences lol) but couldn't find anything.

Anyway I've been collecting Wonder Boy fan games (full games, alphas, demos etc EDIT: over in THIS THREAD ) and am building up a nice collection however Wonderboy Advance continues to elude me.

Searching for "Wonderboy Advance by AlekMaul Rev002 (PD).zip" doesn't work anymore. Tried lots of other combos with no luck. All the old geocties links don't work of course however even webarchive doesn't have a proper backup of hiddendragon's site. Have msged both hidden dragon and Furanku on their youtube vids. No luck yet..

This forum thread is the only placer left on the net where I can even see it being talked about! Does anyone here still have a copy of any of the betas? Be such a shame if this old fan game is lost forever. Hell I'll host the darn thing if I have to as I'm gonna be building a Wonderboy games tribute website at Blake's Sanctum one day anyway!
Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:12 am
Blake00 wrote
Anyway I've been collecting Wonder Boy fan games (full games, alphas, demos etc) and am building up a nice collection however Wonderboy Advance continues to elude me.

I would be very interested to see a list of these fan games you have acquired. Are they mostly rom hacks?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:49 am
Attached is what I could find in my archives.

I agree it would be nice if you created a thread listing everything you found or know about.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:28 am
Immo wrote
I would be very interested to see a list of these fan games you have acquired. Are they mostly rom hacks?

Bock wrote
Attached is what I could find in my archives. I agree it would be nice if you created a thread listing everything you found or know about.

YES!!! Thank you so much Bock! Hopefully your ‘Test 002’ is the same as the ‘Rev 002’ HiddenDragon refers to. I hope he releases his much newer build someday too. Even if he doesn’t want people to have the source files surely there’s no harm in releasing a compiled build of that newer version he has for fans to enjoy.

Nah not really Immo, as rom hacks where somebody just sticks a few Wonderboy sprites into a Sonic or Mario game etc don’t interest me and I’m yet to find a bigger rom hack where someone’s added new levels into the original WB roms (eg like we’ve seen with AlexKidd). Most of what I’ve been finding are fan made WB games in either custom made or publicly available game making engines (eg RPG Maker).

Yeah sure I can make a new thread with a list of my results so far. :) Funnily enough I was going to do that here eventually anyway as I run an oldschool retro gaming website where I tribute a classic game or series of old games and then I go rather NUTS investigating every single fan project I can find for them (over weeks or months even) finding all sorts of amazing stuff! New member’s aren’t allowed to post links here but the ‘Homepage’ button at the bottom of my post will get anyone curious there. Dune, Master of Magic & Quest For Glory sections are good examples of what I do, keen eyes will notice that if a fan project disappears off the net I’ll usually host it myself so it doesn’t get lost forever. Anyway normally once I’ve finished a new section I post a list of every game/mod project I’ve found in various online communities to see what I’ve missed. There’s no Wonderboy website yet as its early days however since you guys have asked I can do an early list here of everything I’ve found so far. :) Will be interesting to see how much more is out there that I don’t know about since if anyone knows about more cool projects it’ll be you guys here as this forum is such an amazing source for fan game lovers. I’d been lurking for years before singing up recently haha!

I’ve also been doing the same for Alex Kidd and have built up a nice list now (bigger than I expected as I didn’t think much was happening) so I can do a thread for that too if people are interested? Much less luck finding demo downloads than I did with WB though.

Hell I’ve even been doing Sonic fan games too but adding a Sonic section to my site is probably years away as that’s just too big a project lol. I got a ‘preliminary’ word doc with about 30 bloody fan projects in there and I know darn well I’ve only barely scratched the surface of the Sonic fan game world as there’s just so much out there.. too much in fact lol!
Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:31 am
Opps sorry guys I completely forgot about this haha. I'll go make those threads now. :)

EDIT: Here it is:
https://www.smspower.org/forums/17330-WonderBoyRelatedGamesModProjectsList

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:51 am
Bock wrote
Attached is what I could find in my archives.

I agree it would be nice if you created a thread listing everything you found or know about.

I just finally tried test 002 and have confirmed that sadly it's not his final beta version seen in his video so that final version is still lost sadly.

His final beta video:

Screenshot of Bocks's Test002

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!